Weird MacBook Pro Issue - Has To Be Used on Flat Surface

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stiss, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Stiss macrumors 6502a

Hi Everyone

I have recently been handed a mid 2010 MacBook Pro and it has this really strange problem.

When the computer is not on a flat surface it goes mental, the fans kick in and whir really loudly and the system grinds to a halt, nothing is responsive and the mouse cursor jumps around the screen instead of moving fluidly. As soon as you place it on a flat surface the computer works as normal again, really quick and responsive.

I've never come across anything like this before, so if you can offer me some suggestions I will be really grateful.

Thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Have never heard of that one, but you might try running the Apple Hardware Test to see if that shows anything.

3. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

Have you ensured that the back of the MacBook Pro (where the air vents are) isn't blocked? have you opened up the MacBook Pro and used a can of compressed air to blow away any possible dust in the vents and fans?

4. paukivbashne macrumors member

the issue here is the logic board
    it might have microcrack or based on your model(alos more likely) it might be nvidia chip partially felling of (they had the tendency to overheat and fell off)
    so as long as you dont give any tension to the logic board it works
    as soon as you put your laptop in a position where it has case tension which of course affects the logic board
    well you get the idea right?

5. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

6. Stiss thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's dust free!

I am leaning towards a logic board issue too. It really sucks.

I have just tried this!

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

When on a non-flat surface, do you make sure the Vents are not covered?

8. Stiss thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I've had MacBook Pro's in the past, I had a 2008 Alu-MacBook and that was fine. There is definitely something up with this one.

For example, I just sat it on one knee then, 30 seconds later the fans whir as fast as possible and the system just grinds to a halt. The mouse just jumps around the screen, put it back on the table and it's fine. I'm typing on it right now.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Remember, the larger 15" MBP has different fan locations vs the 2008 Al MB (which only has one).

10. Stiss thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you think it could be the HDD? Would the hardware test tell me if the HDD is faulty?

11. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Before I edited my post I put replace the HDD. The HDD could cause the unresponsive computer you're talking about but probably not the fans getting stupid.

Throw a new one in it reseat the RAM which could cause the stupid fans and computer locking up and go from there.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't see how a bad drive could cause that fan issue.

13. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

remove the bottom panel and visually inspect if the panel touches anything on the logic board. Remove logic board and re seat it. Check if it happens again keep montioring fan rpms and temperatures to see if a certain fan is getting touched and preventing it from spinning properly or which thing is heating up.
    How old is your battery with regards to cycle count? visually inspect if its bulged up or anything.