weird Powerbook 'vibration' when using power adapter

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by toby1, May 11, 2007.

1. toby1 macrumors newbie

Has anyone else had this problem?
    When I have my Powerbook G4 17" 1.0 plugged in using the power adapter, I get a strange 'vibration' feeling when my hand runs across the top of the base just below the keys and around the track pad. When I am typing, I often get little electric shocks on my wrists where they are touching the forward edge of the keyboard. It kind of feels like a hair is getting pulled out of my forearm, but it is a little electric shock.
    When the mac is on my lap, I can touch another person and feel the 'vibration' feeling through my finger so I assume it is an earthing issue?
    As soon as I pull out the cord and go to battery power it stops.
    Does anyone know what this might be and is it dangerous at all?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If you have the power adapter plugged in using the 2-prong flip-out plug, try replacing it with the extension cable it came with. It's a 3-prong, grounded plug. That might take care of it. Sounds like it's a slight ground loop you are feeling on the metal skin.

3. JohanVild macrumors newbie

4. snugja macrumors regular

Interesting

That used to happen to me with my 1.25ghz PB a while back. Always thought it was nothing myself.

5. appleram macrumors newbie

Vibration On Macbook

Hi,

I bought a new MACBOOK recently, the all aluminum version and found that whenever i plugged in the power adapter it would give a vibration onto the display as also the metal frame near the keyboard and trackpad. I almost thought that i have buggered up my adapter whilst using it in the train on an 110 V socket as the standard supply in India is 220 V AC. I figured that the actual problem was with the grounding as there is none with the two pronged connector of the adapter provided with MACBOOK. So I shifted over to the three pin connector with the third pin grounded on the power source end i.e. the socket. Since i was using a Euro socket on an Indian 3 pin configuration it did not work so i pulled out a sheathed cable from the euro male connector and routed it into the indian third pin socket. The problem is now resolved and i do not get any vibration / shock on the aluminum body anymore.

6. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

I've had this same problem with my Macbook Pro and it is the most ridiculous problem to still exist. I have a toaster, TV, blue ray player, etc. with exposed metal and none of them have this problem while using a two prong plug. Why should my $2000 apple? It's crazy! And then they'll tell you that YOU are using the WRONG plug. What am I supposed to say - "Gee sorry I bought it from you and used it on your machine, Apple"?

And to all those who are saying it's no problem, I hope you enjoy your daily shock treatments.