Weird question for Canadians

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by niuniu, Feb 22, 2012.

1. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Especially people around Vancouver...

Have you got many large spiders there? Or is it like the UK where they're usually quite small in residential areas?

2. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Small, few, generally harmless, unless imported.

Get some big ones up North in camping country, but again harmless, and small by say Australian standards.

3. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I live about 50km from Vancouver. The biggest spiders we have are about 2 inches across (leg to leg) and are harmless. My cat eats them when it finds them. We have a few crane flies around when in season (they look rather like spiders with wings) but again harmless. Black widows are found here as well but they are very rare (I've never personally known anyone bitten by one).

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I thought for sure I was opening a waloshin thread. Carry on.

6. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

As an arachnophobe the sound of a Black Widow is terrifying. Have you ever seen one?

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

Depends where you are. In Vancouver I never really noticed spiders.... but we are just outside Vancouver, and we have big spiders. Lots of big spiders.

I've seen ones that had bodies up to 2cm long.

Why do you ask?

We have house spiders.

Also Hobo spiders and Western Black Widows....

There are (I just checked) about 700 species in BC.... though I don't know how many are in the lower mainland (Vancouver area).

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I live in ideal widow country and have only ever seen one once in my wood shed. Killed it as soon as I saw it because I didn't want the kids to get bitten. Remember, you are MUCH, MUCH bigger than they are!

9. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Planning a move to Vancouver and I have a problem with spiders. I never considered it as an important factor when moving until my sister moved to Los Angeles. Then I knew terror. Huge beast spiders in her apartment, one even ate a hole in her boyfriend's back (serious still have photo of it).

In the UK we have spiders but usually they're small - sometimes I can kill them myself.

I tell myself that a lot! But it's something deep rooted and psychological. I just freeze up.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I used to live in Kent for many years. The spiders here are about the same and virtually non-existent in urban environments.

My 18yr old son is scared to death of them, even small ones. Shrieks like a little girl when he sees them.

11. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Poor guy - I know how emasculating having a phobia like that can feel. Thankfully here it's rare anything embarrassing happens :D

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I hated brown recluse and black widows, but a harmless garden spider was by far the worst for me as it was humongous, like palm sized. This was in Kansas. No spiders here.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm a 25 year old guy and am a big baby when it comes to spiders. Unfortunately, brown recluses are quite common here and in the summer I sometimes catch those bastards in my apartment. I shriek like a little girl then introduce them to the business end of a size 14 4E shoe.

14. snberk103 macrumors 603

First - Congratulations! Lovely city.

Second - You'll be fine the city. You'll be better off though in a condominium in tower than a single family house.... but the spiders in Vancouver are probably a lot like what you are used to.

However - I would definitely do some research and talk to people before doing any camping, or hiking. It's not that spiders are everywhere, and are around all the time....but if you hit a bad spot and a bad time.... you are going to have a really bad time.

In the winter our spiders tend to hibernate...so that's a good time. Don't visit our meadow in summer - it is literally crawling with little spiders... but the forest is safe, except in the fall when they spin webs across the paths.

Right now, it's lovely in the forest and there is not a spider to be seen..... like I said.... just figure out the best times and places to avoid.

How are you with birds? Currently we have a couple of big Bald Eagles feasting on a dead deer about 45metres from our front door. Skittish buggers....I can't get near enough to get decent photo.

15. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Why.
    Why did I just have to open this thread?

I hate spiders. Hate hate them.

I can hide my fear of them, I never scream. I just get something big and try to kill it. I wish we could prevent them from coming into our homes.

16. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Seconded :(
    Now, to the obligatory DoYouHateSpiders poll! :D

17. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

They serve a useful purpose in keeping flies, mosquitos and other insects in control. Plus they provide a protein source for my cat (not that she's lacking at 16lbs).

18. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Thanks! Good ideas and tips there!

I'm good with birds and good with most insects and animals really. I'm definitely no Bear Grylls, but I've hunted mice and stuff before :p

There's this Fogger stuff they sell in the States - my sis got it in LA. But in the UK I think it's illegal, or not approved or something.. it's not sold in the UK. Seems to do a good job of keeping them out though.

19. snberk103 macrumors 603

So what brings you to Vancouver?

Will you be in the downtown core (fewer spiders) or out in the 'burbs?

20. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Well we're a year or more off yet, but it's a permanent move.. most likely downtown. We like it for a lot of reasons - one of which the quality of living another being that it has a lot of Asian people there (partner is Chinese).

We like wintersports so Canada is a nice place. Really has everything we want and is relatively easy to immigrate to.

People are everything though and both myself and the girl agree that Canadians are generally nice and down to earth. I'm also looking forward to sticky maple syrup pancake breakfasts :D

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Just something to keep in mind, if you hate spiders, stay away from Jean Laffite Preserve southeast of New Orleans. There are particularly large spiders there that enjoy building webs across the walkway right about face height. Luckily, they also hang out in the middle of them so the yellow parts stick out...

22. snberk103 macrumors 603

Not to talk you out of anything..... because I happen to think that Vancouver is a great city.... but just make sure you understand the cost of living there. It is one of the more expensive cities in the world for housing. You may not be the 1st to fall for her charms .... :)

That said, if you do move.... make sure you get out of the city and explore the province. BC has all but two of the world's climatic zones (the high arctic type, and Saharan desert type zones are not found in BC). If you like gardening the lower mainland (Vancouver and about a 150 km circle around) that is for you. Watch out for, well - you know whats. Also, when you are looking for a place to live, the entire lower mainland is about micro-climates. It may take a while to figure out all the subtleties... but.....

The farther south you go in the metro area of the city, the less rain and more sun you get. Victoria (not part of Vancouver, but close by - check the google map) gets twice the sun and half the rain as Vancouver..... as measured at Vancouver Airport. Which is in the southern part of the city, so the downtown core gets more than that.

Often... you can be in the Kitsalano, Mt Pleasant neighbourhoods and see it raining in downtown or the North Shore. I've seen a line a rain across the middle of the Cambie St bridge as I crossed into (rainy) downtown..... several times.

Altitude means more snow during the winter. And by "altitude, I mean just a little bit..... a few dozen metres. When we lived in downtown Vancouver, I was commuting to the east side for work.... about 25 minutes, against traffic. During winter I could easily go through 3 or 4 "snow storms" .... each one corresponding to the top of a hill.

That said.... they grow palm trees in Vancouver. Outside. All year round.

If you go really far east up the valley (about an hour) you hit another climate zone altogether. Makes for nasty winters and hot summers. And probably - you know, those nasty things - sorry I need to keep this post on topic so it isn't deleted.

Just get someone who knows what going to help you decide on a neighbourhood. Or do what most Vancouverites do and just dress for anything. Shorts and an umbrella. Raincoat and sandals. It's all good.

The food is spectacular in the city. Among the best anywhere. Especially the Asian food.

Read the 100 mile diet book.

You've already seen Vancouver lots of times. Lots of movies and TV shows are shot there. At least the American ones.

23. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

*Throws up a little* :eek:

Wow love that info! Exciting to hear of the variety of climates around - something that's hard to imagine when you've spent most your life on a comparatively small island. But that is definitely part of the lure of moving.

We were initially saving to buy a home, but we're also now prepared to move sooner and rent for a while just to get going (though there are other holdups - our small business needs wound up tidily and the gf needs to complete her accounting qualification, any fails can set us back a year or more). But money is always on the forefront of our minds.. everything everywhere seems so expensive these days. I'm really interested in the cost of food/heating etc there - because in the UK the costs are getting ridiculous. Basic food shopping for 2 of us per week running 100GBP+ and that's if we really try to be frugal :eek:

By the way - I checked that 100 mile book, sounds interesting and supposed to be pretty witty in parts. Going to eBook if possible, cheers!

24. snberk103 macrumors 603

Houses are really expensive. However condos (owned flats ?) are very popular. They can be quite small, but then everyone socializes outside. It's a cafe culture in the city. Heat is not a big expense. It rarely gets cold, BC has lots of hydro and natural gas .... In most condos your monthly fee includes the natural gas. If your unit has a gas fireplace, then you use that to heat your home. Your fees have been calculated to account for that, so use it.

Eating out can actually be quite reasonable in Vancouver. When we were in London, we found restaurant food to be about twice what we would pay in Vancouver (this was 10 years ago).

You'll be shocked by the cost of wine. Pleasantly surprised by the cost of gas (petrol). Many Vancouverites don't bother with a car. The city is installing an extensive bike lane network. It's actually quite impressive. To save on housing costs you may need to live further out.... but get near a Skytrain line (elevated/buried light-rail).

If you work out of your home.... and only need to be in Vancouver on an occasional basis, you have some interesting options. Some of which are relatively spider free (sorry, gotta keep the post on topic).

One other tip.... in the off-season you can rent a hotel room on a monthly basis for about the cost of renting an apartment. The room will be furnished, with a telephone and Cable TV. This will give you time to get settled, find the apartment, go furniture shopping etc, without too much stress. A friend of ours rents in the Coast Plaza, on Denman St. We used to live nearby, and it you want to see why Vancouver is so popular experiencing that neighbourhood will help. On a map, find Stanley Park, then come east 4 or 5 blocks - and that is Denman St.
    I'm sure you can do much much better in Vancouver. The 100 mile diet will help to explain why.

25. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Reminds me of the ones I saw in Hawaii. Beautiful and creepy at the same time.

Yeah, its not nearly as expensive for food or fuel. Housing really is the issue in Vancouver. Good luck with your move.