Weird Router Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by krogers34, Dec 4, 2011.

1. krogers34 macrumors member

Hi all,

I have been having a weird problem with my girlfriend's computer. She has an HP and I have a mac. When I connect to the internet first with my mac everything is fine, but if she gets on the internet with her HP within 15 minutes the router stops working and the internet goes out on both of out computers. Unplugging the router and letting it reboot does nothing and it takes at least an hour to get the internet back up and running on my mac, but nothing we have done has been able to let her use the internet for more than 15 minutes. I thought it might have been the router, but then we had the exact same problem twice at my apartment with a different router so that can't be the problem. Also, when she directly plugs her computer into the internet through an ethernet cord the internet still doesn't work, but if I do the same with another mac it works fine. So yes the real problem is not with a mac, but macs are been effected. Any help would be appreciated.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would buy a new router and see if it fixes your issue. Routers don't last forever and can die, so maybe that's what's happening. If it fixes your issue, then great. If it doesn't, you can always return it.

I think this would be your best place to start. It sounds like it's dying, anyways.

3. krogers34 thread starter macrumors member

But it has happened on two different routers (mine and hers) so I don't think it is the router.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Maybe you can try setting the router on a different channel?