Weird sound from my brand new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marjoth, May 9, 2009.

1. Marjoth macrumors newbie

For an hour ago, I finally got my brand, new MBP 17". Now I'm finally finish setting it up, and I've noticed a strange sound comming from (presumably) the harddrive on the left side (right below the speakers). It could be described as a low cluck-sound; like the readingheads going of the harddrivestocks. :confused: I dont hear unless it's silent in the room, but I cant stop thinking - could there be a defect component in my brand new 17"?:(

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I cannot answer if its defective or not, but I can say that it seems to be a somewhat common occurrence. Did you try searching this forum, because I know I've seen a number of threads over at apple discussions regarding the HD clicking. I suspect there's a number of them here as well.

3. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

How long does the sound last for? See..i had this click for a second when my UMBP start the backup process to the time capsule.

4. MrZebra macrumors regular

Or maybe it could be spotlight indexing :)

5. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

6. Marjoth thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, the link given above dosen't solve anything really, just point out the problem.

I'm findind forum-threads all over the web describing this problem with a repeating cluck-sound located close to the ESC-key when the machine is idle. It actually seems to apply for most 17" UMBP with the optional 7200 rpm 320gb harddrive:eek: A user over @ Apple Discussions got his UMBP exchanged out, but the new one got the exact same problem.

So the really question is: WTF APPLE!?
    I've almost paid 4000$ for this mac, and to that price I expect a fully functional, non-defect machine!!

7. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Defects sometimes happen though, nature of the beast. I've had seven different components replaced on this MacBook Pro. I'd take it to the Apple store or call AppleCare.

8. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

That is a normal sound. It's just the HD parking so their's no harm done when moving the compuer. I've had multiple Unibodys and they all do that. It soulds exacly like "Clunk". It's no defect, it's a feature.

9. Marjoth thread starter macrumors newbie

I've disabled the sudden motion sensor, but the sound still is there.

And it's not just when I'm moving the computer - the "clunk" comes every 5-10 seconds all the time; mainly when the computer is idle (e.g. when I'm reading a webpage).

10. Marjoth thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, it seems to be the top left fan that is the problem, as the harddrive is located @ the bottom right.

A "clunking" fan couldn't be good...

11. chapel321 macrumors member

I bought an Aluminum MacBook that had a metallic clunk sound every 30 secs or so and it about drove me nuts in a quiet room. I was going to upgrade my HD so I went ahead and did it right then and the clunk is now gone with the new one.

12. Marjoth thread starter macrumors newbie

Now well, case solved. I'm returning the mac within the 10 days of delivery, and getting a new one.

Apperantly, "clunking" from the harddrive is somewhat "normal", while "clunking" from the fans is a reason to get it exhanged (at least if your mac is only 2 hours old).

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Take it to an Apple Genius, no cluncking noise should be heard If any noise, it should be a low click-click from the hard drive when trying to load.

14. phantasmagoria macrumors regular

I have the same issue with mine... the 7200rpm Seagate drive is quite a noisy beast. I'm happy that the noise I'm hearing isn't a dying hard-drive - god knows I've heard enough of those :) - but it's the sound of the drive heads parking. It bothers me when I'm working in silence, but I never notice it if there's any other background noise so I've learned to live with it.