iPhone X weird thing in photos app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by k0stelos, Jan 1, 2018.

1. k0stelos macrumors newbie

k0stelos

Hello guys,
    i bought a new iphone X about a month ago and im having this very weird issue in the stock photos app, when viewing a photo it appears to be blurry until i zoom in the photo. even a teeny tiny pinch to zoom will show the photo crisp and clear as it should be from the beginning! i tried restart and restore and set up as new but this thing remains.. anyone with a solution or an idea?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Check settings > photos (optimise iPhone storage) if that’s selected you’ll see lower quality photos till you manipulate the photo

3. k0stelos thread starter macrumors newbie

k0stelos

yes i have checked that i also tried it with icloud off..

4. gahig ulo macrumors 6502

gahig ulo

same here but its not really blurry its more like low resoution and when you zoom in and out its crisp/clear i had to do it every time.its normal i guess because of the new file system?

5. k0stelos thread starter macrumors newbie

k0stelos

I compared it to an iphone x from a friend and his is just fine, same settings.. so i don’t think its normal..

6. gahig ulo macrumors 6502

gahig ulo

so our iphone X is defective?i hope not
    --- Post Merged, Jan 1, 2018 ---
    maybe we can go to bestbuy or apple store and try to take pictures and see if the display unit do the same?

7. gahig ulo macrumors 6502

gahig ulo

same with reddit app i have to zoom and out to see how clear/crisp the photo esp on the wallpaper pics in the reddit app so maybe because of the screen refresh on amoled i dont know

8. k0stelos thread starter macrumors newbie

k0stelos

I tried google photos and the images there are crispy and clear.. i hope it is a software issue..

9. gahig ulo macrumors 6502

gahig ulo

it should be software.i dont have any other problem beside the screen(pink hue and dust under the camera lens)benchmark is on par with the other iphone X and also no reboot/restart issue on mine.

10. Vermifuge, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018

Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

11. gahig ulo macrumors 6502

gahig ulo

lol hardware defect!what kind of defect?

12. Vermifuge, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018

Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

EDIT: I take it all back you are referring to the photos, not the camera. I have a theory.

You are using the photos in the cloud feature. What will happen is your photos are stored in iCloud but only a small thumbnail is left on the phone. The images will look blurry (like some retro video game) until you access the image by touching or zooming at which point the image is downloaded to the phone.

If the image isn't accessed for a while its moved off the phone and back into the cloud.

13. gahig ulo macrumors 6502

gahig ulo

mine is not really blurry but its not that crisp/clear when you first look at it but when touch it like zoom in and out you can see the difference how much clearer/crisp is and its the same thing when i swipe the next photo i have to touch zoom in and out but when i go back to the photos i already zoomed in and out its clear/crisp but when i close the photo app and open it again its back to not crisp/clear again.theres no lag though so i think its a software bug,
    the thing is i never use icloud and its always off in the settings.btw i have the 64gb version

14. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

There are a few places to check Under Settings look for

Settings: "General" -> "iPhone Storage"
    The setting of interest here are
    • Optimise Photos
    • iCloud Photo Library
    Settings: "Photos"
    The setting of interest here are
    • iCloud Photo Library
    • Optimise iPhone Storage / Download & Keep Originals
    Also are you using 'upload to my photo stream' or 'iCloud Photo sharing'?

15. gahig ulo macrumors 6502

gahig ulo

thanks for the help but i already know those settings and turn it off already i dont even get that optimise storage option because every single photo/cloud related option is off.can you check on your iphone X if its doing the same,just go to your photo and check a picture that you took and look at first and zoom in after if it make a differnce like the picture look crisp

16. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

I'm not seeing that.

Are these Live Photos or regular photos? What about portrait mode? Do you have High Efficiency or Most Compatible selected?

17. gahig ulo macrumors 6502

gahig ulo

all high resolution photos and all picture taken on the X.i have high efficiency enable. when the photo is very large it will do this,on small resolution like screen is not. it looks like it loads a little bit when you zoom or double tap a photo.its really not noticeable unless you look at the photo first and zoom and see its get clearer

18. k0stelos thread starter macrumors newbie

k0stelos

thanks for the answer, i have checked the "download and keep originals" option even with icloud sync off is still there.. i have i cloud photo sharing on though..

19. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

that should be fine i'm really confused why you would be seeing that

20. k0stelos thread starter macrumors newbie

k0stelos

The very weird thing is that even a photo shot with an iphone 7 has this issue..

21. gahig ulo macrumors 6502

gahig ulo

yup same here

22. k0stelos thread starter macrumors newbie

k0stelos

From the moment i noticed it it really bothers me! Anyone else with a theory?

23. NightCastle macrumors member

Sometimes, settings bit-flags can be set, but not initialized. Try setting the settings to what you would not want them to be and then shut down the phone. Then, after restarting the phone, set them to what you would prefer and restart the phone again. Finally, see if the issue is still present.

It is worth a try. I have seen instances in iOS where this has worked for me for other settings.

24. PBz macrumors 68000

PBz

25. k0stelos thread starter macrumors newbie

k0stelos

Yep