Welcome back MacOS.....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by deadpoetwalking, Apr 20, 2016.

Tags:
?

What do you think??

1. Awesome

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. Sweet

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  3. I like

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. OK

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  5. Meeeh

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. Me no like

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  7. Crap

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. deadpoetwalking, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016

deadpoetwalking macrumors newbie

deadpoetwalking

2. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Love the wallpaper in MacOS Pacific... Nice name too.

Any chance you could share the full res wallpaper.

3. Teon macrumors regular

Teon

4. deadpoetwalking thread starter macrumors newbie

deadpoetwalking

--- Post Merged, Apr 20, 2016 ---
    If tried!! Better for me to email it to you??

5. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Hoping they go with Monterey. Sounds pretty cool!

6. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

7. deadpoetwalking thread starter macrumors newbie

deadpoetwalking

8. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

I feel like it should be either 'macOS' or 'Mac OS'. 'MacOS' just doesn't sit right with me.

9. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Now that you mention it, I agree.

10. deadpoetwalking, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016

deadpoetwalking thread starter macrumors newbie

deadpoetwalking

11. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

Where is the tag line from? Confirmed? I like it

12. deadpoetwalking thread starter macrumors newbie

deadpoetwalking

I did, I went with a bit of nostalgia from the first launch of Mac OS which had the tagline - Welcome to Mac OS

13. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

14. KALLT macrumors 601

Although it makes some sense to align the brand names a bit more, I still see a problem with the version numbers. What OS X, iOS, watchOS and tvOS all have in common is that they maintain an internal versioning, but Apple is not using it in the same way when they refer to the products, i.e. sometimes they include the version number as part of the brand and sometimes they do something different.

Brand – version – referred to as
    OS X – v10.11.X – OS X El Capitan
    iOS – v9.X – iOS 9, iOS 9.1 ...
    watchOS – v2.X – watchOS 2, watchOS 2.1 ...
    tvOS – v9.X – so far just tvOS

If they indeed change the brand OS X into macOS/MacOS/Mac OS, then there is still the California-related name and that 10. If they decide to keep the California-related name, then the consistency is already gone and people will still call OS X by that California-related name. If they keep the 10, then there will be an awkward ‘macOS 10.12’ (or ‘macOS 10.13’ next year). If they drop the 10, then they will pretty much ’skip’ the 11: macOS 12. If they keep increment the major version 10, then they could also go for macOS 11. If they start over, then the versioning becomes inconsistent or confusing.

All of this just does not seem ideal to me. I wonder whether they will have something else in mind entirely, e.g. something that encompasses iOS too.

15. deadpoetwalking thread starter macrumors newbie

deadpoetwalking

If they go with 'macOS' it will be when they reach OS 11?? And start afresh with 'macOS' like - macOS Monterey (macOS v1.0) just a thought!!

16. KALLT macrumors 601

But this would be a pretty rough change with no technological benefit. I do not even want to think about all of the issues that this might cause, just because developers and like have relied upon the versioning scheme in their software. No, I think that the versioning scheme is something that Apple would want to keep, unless there is a good reason to force developers into making that switch.

All in all, I just do not see a good reason for changing the brand name, other than to achieve partial consistency with Apple’s newer OS brands.

17. deadpoetwalking thread starter macrumors newbie

deadpoetwalking

They have started to use 'macOS' instead of 'OSX' in coding for developers for the next versions of OS with branding names included and new numbering system!!

18. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Well, you could simply not include it in any way in the marketing and branding. Below the hood, developers could check the current OS version in the usual way.

They could just continue numbering 10.12, 10.13 et cetera, or simply start using an integer like Firefox and Chrome. These are up to version 50 or something.

19. KALLT macrumors 601

It has been suggested that they could go for a rolling release, like Microsoft seems to be doing now. No more big-name branding towards consumers, just on-going updates. They have done this with iWork and iLife too, these have no identifier anymore. People will be notified of updates and just install them (or the system will offer automatic system updates, like iOS 9). They have started to blur everything with the public-beta programme anyway.

20. deadpoetwalking, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016

deadpoetwalking thread starter macrumors newbie

deadpoetwalking

21. jdasikainen macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

ohnastly if they did i wish they would just go back to Mac OS X unless they are going to completely change the numbering scheme

22. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

This is a number in the system usually found running a system command (or command in language that does the same thing), not really tied to whatever marketing has it as.

Example in windows if doing WMI filtering (we'll say I want a policy to affect windows 7 but not 8 or 10) my filter keys in on that number for windows 7. this number tbh unless you work with this stuff or google it would not clearly say its windows version X.

Linux same principle. A lot of stuff tends to look for kernel version number and could care less if its Ubuntu 12,14, or 15 (or the pet names they give them). they want latest kernels...something not happening if that Ubuntu 14 has not been updated in many moons. Or these kernel updates were declined.