Well, I finally dropped it!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by msmith2112, Nov 18, 2007.

1. msmith2112 macrumors 6502

msmith2112

2. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Phew, lucky!

3. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

i dropped mine today too! right smack onto a tile floor. my heart stopped beating for a second. but it was fine :)

4. Honest Truth macrumors member

I also dropped mine. It was a few weeks ago though.

Actully it wasn't me. My friend thought my iPhone was so cool, so she asked if she could see it. So I said sure, but be careful. Unfortunetly, we were on a 2 story high bleecher at a football game and someone bumped into her...Well, we went down to pick it up, and to my surprize it was working at 65%. The whole top half of the screen was cracked, and the upper right hand corner of it was gone. Weirdly, the top screen worked fine, but the bottem screen wasn't responsive. So I could look at my texts, pictures and take a picture (yeah my camera still worked!)and anything else on the top row of the iPhone. I could recive calls, but I couldn't answer them because the answer butten is at the bottem of the screen.

So, after a 2 story drop, the iPhone is extreamly durable. By the way, I got a new one, and my friend only payed 100 of the 250 in damage costs...:(

5. viqas macrumors member

6. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

close call

i was walking through the chemistry building at school and i grabbed mine, went to flip it around to look at it and fumbled with it, and then time slowed down as it spun through the air and i half dove for it and caught it but almost fell and probably looked like an idiot, but anything is worth it for my baby

7. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

I think I'd struggle to own one of these without some kind of grippy surface to stick on it to stop fumbles. But then you lose some of the aesthetic appeal...

Ah or maybe I'll just buy a phone that's just not as pretty and not worry about it hahah...

8. TheBusDriver macrumors 6502

I did something similar I was running down my stairs and flipped it around and it like flew out of my hands and right after it left them I dove for it and grab it again and then my feet had to catch up to my body so I didn't fall all the way down lol.

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I've been waiting two weeks for a Gelaskin for the back of the phone. I hope it will allow for a case-free alternative!

10. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I hate the digital grip on an iphone. I wish they replaced the chrome with rubber, even if it did cheapen the appearance.

My conundrum is this: The iPhone is pretty nice looking, and I don't want to scratch it up. I've been a PDA / smartphone user for some time now - and have seen several times what those rubber, plastic, leather and protective cases do. (they seem to trade that "big hit" or "bit scratch" for millions of smaller scratches that end up looking worse)

So a good friend of mine sewed a nice cloth pouch with Velco and all. It definitely doesn't "sand down" or "grind away" parts of my phone - but when it's out of that pouch (when I'm on it) it's just a matter of time for that Digital MEGA drop - completely naked - all the way down.

Such a catch 22, isn't it.

11. Antj29 macrumors member

pah, i use it, even used it yesterday with brake dust all over my hands from changing the car wheels to winter wheels, its insured if it does go wrong big time, but it seems to me that its quite a tough little unit.

12. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

I think it is probably the most resilient phone I have had to date.
    I had mine sitting on the counter while washing my hands and listing to music
    when i reached for a towel my hand caught the earphone cable and sent the iPhone flying through the air, only to come crashing down and across my tile bathroom floor I think i threw up at this point. When i picked it up I expected the screen to be cracked cuz it hit hard.
    I guess luckily it hit only the backside cuz the only evidence of the fall and slide is a scuff mark on the back panel to the side of the camera and the apple logo has scratches. I was simply amazed... Plugged my earphones back in and music continued right where it left off when the cable was ripped out of the jack.
    My RAZR would have been in pieces.

13. autumnsong macrumors member

autumnsong

I dropped mine once, but luckily it landed on carpet. No damage done. It did scare me enough to get a case for it. I got an iSkin Revo. I really like the added grip and security it gives me, but I miss the naked look. I love the way the phone looks without a case. I ordered a set of skins for it, and hopefully when they come in they will add enough grip that I will feel safe going back to a more naked look. Right now I guess I'm giving up a little beauty for added peace of mind. :rolleyes:

14. MicBook macrumors regular

same thing happened to me dropped it on a no padded carpet floor and it has a little dent in the corner as well

15. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I have the Best Skins Ever on the back and sides, and the Power Support Crystal Film screen protector. Looks exactly the same as naked, and is now less of a slippery customer!

16. sneeks macrumors 6502a

My Best Skins Ever arrived yesterday but I'm now scared to fit it after reading a couple of reports of broken iPhones due to the use of water during application.

17. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Sneeks, I don't understand that because my son used liberal quantities of the solution, with a spray applicator operated by me! It's vital to remember that the solution must be used on the skins themselves not sprayed onto the iPhone itself. We made sure it didn't get into the 'ports' by dabbing it with a microfibre cloth and using the squeegee in the opposite direction to any holes.

It worked a treat and I switched on without any problems after an hour. I didn't have the patience to leave it of for the recommended period! :)

18. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I let anger get the best of me one day and took it out on my iPhone. I meant to throw it on my couch, but instead flung it full force against my exposed brick wall. I have only 3 surface scratches.

Not suggesting that people do this, but I demonstrated to a co-worker the screen by running it up and down on the top of a chain link fence. Stupid yes, but no marks at all.

19. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

How did you have the nerve to do that?

Unbelievable! :eek:

20. kaeckisthename macrumors member

mine is pretty beat up...

first I got in a scuffle with a punk that said he was a karate expert and that he could kill me with one blow, well I ended him with an armbar and told him he better get his ground game up, I could have beat his face in but he is a friend of a friend so the armbar was the ticket.....but anyways when I tackled him we rolled real quick and my phone got crushed in on the back because it was in my pocket

second I was at a party and walked home drunk, and was listening to music on it, I got it out of my pocket to change the track and I dropped it right on the side walk, and it put a nasty looking gouge in the corner of the aluminum

but it still works fine, just the aluminum case is beat up....the chrome bezel is scratched to hell too, but that doesn't bother me

21. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

When i brought my iPhone home from the Apple store, I took it out of the box to show my friend, and dropped it about 2 ft onto a wooden floor. lol... it wasn't even powered on yet, *sigh*

no damage though, which is good... I've also ALMOST done the "missed my pocket" technique... good thing I held on tight, because I'm pretty sure I was in a parking lot :)

22. sparkyms macrumors 65816

mine fell out of my pocket yesterday.

I wanted to cry, the bottom plastic is a little scuffed, and theres a scuff on the silence switch, and a little graze on sleep/wake, and a slight scratch by the camera.

Still works fine though, and the screen is okay, but im tempted to take out insurance on it now in case i ACCIDENTLY drop it in a puddle over christmas, maybe get a new phone for the new year.

23. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

LOL
    I did nearly the same thing...as soon as I activated it I went to a local Starbucks for some coffee and to show off my iPhone :cool:
    Took it out at my table and immediately dropped it right on the tile floor in front of everyone :mad:
    How embarrassing...and I nearly died inside as I thought for sure the screen was cracked because OF COURSE it landed screenside down...
    But alas, nothing but a couple of minor scratches on the chrome bezel and it worked perfectly...
    Went right from there to the Apple store and bought a black Mareware Silicon cover which protects it beautifully and gives the iPhone a REALLY good sticky grip...I do use it without the cover in the house as I still love the way it looks...

24. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

i dropped mine on the road outside my house...luckly there was snow to brea k the fall! thank god!

25. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Luck plays a part when the iPhone is dropped. Had a case (forgot which one at this point) that allowed my iPhone to fall out a couple of times. Ended up with a small crack in the lower right corner that has not affected the use of the phone. I have heard from others that have not been as lucky...