Well, I have $400...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Andy348, May 21, 2010.

1. Andy348 macrumors 6502

May 18, 2009
    Long story short, I've got $400 to spend on my set up. Now I'd prefer not to spend it all, but if its something that I really want, I won't mind.

My current set up (crappy Bold pics):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now here is what I'm thinking...

1. Mac Mini + 2x 24"

I'd sell my MacBook (2.1GHz, 4GB, 500GB, 2 years Applecare) for roughly $800 and buy a Mac Mini for $800 w/tax incl, etc. Then I'd spend $200 on another monitor and just use two 24" ASUS monitors. The only problem with this is I'm going to Cegep next year (Quebec only thing, kind of a pre-college, can use laptops in class) and I'm worried that I might want to use a laptop there. Then again, it could just distract me.

Total Cost: approx $250

2. New Speakers

My current speakers aren't bad but I was looking for some nicer + better options. I'm looking at the M-Speakers to replace my Bose ones. I figure $230 for them (because of tax) and I might be able to sell mine for around $40.

Total Cost: $190

3. New Computer

Sell my MacBook, buy a new MacBook. Everything is pretty much a speed boost and they have multitouch which is also nice. Cost would be pretty expensive... Sell my MacBook + Elevator stand, adapter, case, etc. for $850 then buy a new MacBook for approx 1K refurbished, with sales tax, approx 1.2K

Total Cost: $350ish

4. New Phone

Judging by the pics, the Bold 9000 is getting kind of old. Sell it for $300, buy a new phone for around $450.

Total Cost: $150

So there we have it. I would have already gone for option #1 if I knew for a fact that I wouldn't use a computer much next year. I really don't have a clue. Any ideas?
  2. BurningJah macrumors regular

Apr 15, 2010
    Hard question

This is really a hard thingy!
    the first thing what you want to ask yourself is what I need! do I really need a new macbook. because the white MB is still pretty good!
    The speakers are bose so you know the soundquality is still good! I don't really know the m-speakers but I believe you when you say they are super! the only thing I know is don't buy the mac mini when you can use a laptop in college!
  3. tomscott1988 macrumors 6502

Apr 14, 2009

You could wait and save an extra while longer and have it all? Or you could leave your set-up as it is and use the macbook as the main computer using it for portability and as a desktop when you get home in dual screen mode?
    In terms of a phone who spends 450 on a phone! you crazy?? get a contract, because the phone will either be free of at least a 1/3 of the price!
    The Bose speakers you have I know arnt the best Bose offer, but are still very good and if your traveling they are a good compromise on size and quality! what they are designed for is portability.
  4. Andy348 thread starter macrumors 6502

May 18, 2009
    450 for an unlocked phone isn't very much. An iPhone 3GS 32GB is around $600.

Just bought some Harman Kardon Soundsticks II though, very happy with them!
  5. brendu macrumors 68020

Apr 23, 2009
    your current setup is pretty solid... I would wait a while longer, maybe 6 more months then when the i5/i7 macbooks get some software updates... you could even wait a few years really your setup is not bad in any way.

maybe get the new iPhone unlocked when it comes out... **** att's new termination fees...
  6. 7thMac macrumors 6502

May 10, 2010
    Interesting post. Consider doing nothing. Your alternatives do not result in a significantly better setup so you are just churning equipment / money. Instead of a phone, consider purchasing a camera. You could buy a small Canon for the difference in outlay and its quality would blow away any $450 phone that you are considering.
  7. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Mar 12, 2009
    Oporto, Portugal
    I would do nothing.

Your current setup works fine.
  8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

Nov 25, 2005
    I didn't see your backup drive. If you don't have one, 100 or so of your dollars go right now to a 1 TB USB drive. That's the most important investment you could possibly make.