Well I'm pissed...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MKnight, Aug 16, 2008.

1. MKnight macrumors regular

MKnight

My brand new BTO MacBook Pro that I bought last month was stolen from my Car. It was only in my car because I went to the mall straight after work too.

It was the top end 17" 2.6, 200GB 72k, w/4GB ram. I also lost my mighty mouse and apple bluetooth keyboard that was in the bag.

I have no home insurrance to cover the replacement so now I'm out $3700 on my credit card with nothing to show for it. Oh and my Visa has no theft protection on it.

What a great start to the weekend...

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Dude, that's horrible. I know my predicament isn't nearly as bad as yours... but my fifth generation iPod was stolen out of my car a couple weeks ago.

Anyway that royally sucks. What line of business are you in? Did you lose anything extremely important (documents)? Your computer was all password protected right?

3. Smighty24 macrumors member

wow man! That is some major suckage! Hopefully something good comes out of this! Maybe the computer the guy stole blows up in his car with him inside. You never know!

4. MKnight thread starter macrumors regular

MKnight

Luckily I have time machine backups as well as Mobileme.

I just reinstalled the OS a few days ago so it really had nothing of value on there which is good, because I do use it for work as well. It was indeed password protected, but I wish I enabled the boot up password option.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

When my iPod was stolen I didn't have any password protection on it and there was some pretty important (private) information on the iPod... I'm really scared of any repercussions of it getting stolen. However I'm pretty sure they'd just wipe the iPod and sell it, especially since it was formatted for a Mac.

6. MKnight thread starter macrumors regular

MKnight

I filled a police report yesterday right after it happened and gave them the serial #. There is a good chance it will show up in a pawn shop somewhere...

I also called Apple and they marked the serial # as stolen. So if for some reason the person decides to keep it and call for support they will be screwed.

7. portent macrumors 6502a

Talk to the Apple Store people, have them flag it in the warranty database as stolen. Not likely to do anything, but worth a try. Do the police report thing, too.

Did you have it in your trunk, or on the seats?

8. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Wow, that's bad. I'm really sorry.
    It even sucks more than the day I banged my shoulder into a cactus and spilled coffee all over my pants at a meeting.

9. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Jeez...this world would be a better place is people didnt have to steal to make a quick benjamin(s).

10. Glueeater macrumors regular

Did you leave it out in the open or under your seat?

11. f1 macrumors 6502

That is something Apple will not do for you.

12. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Check With The Mall Management!!!!

Did you call the police? If you didn't go back and re-create the whole thing and call the police and go into the Mall Management's office. File under their insurance. Be insistent... give it a try. I bet they carry insurance for stuff like that. My son and all the patrons were robbed once at a restaurant and the Restaurant's insurance company paid everyone back the cash they lost.

I had my laptop stolen from my car's trunk in the parking lot of a store I owned. I immediately made a claim under my home owner's but they surrogated the claim with the store insurance I carried.

13. daze macrumors 6502

daze

My iPod video was also stolen a few weeks back from my car which was parked in my own drive way. It's supposed to be a very nice neighborhood, but I have my doubts now. Lesson learned. Don't leave valuable stuff in the car or you are asking for trouble.

Daze

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

too true. It's a sad age we live in, but I guess I'll have to learn to watch my stuff a little closer.

15. m1stake macrumors 68000

I never leave my violin in the car for the same reason. Even just going into Wawa where I can still see, it why risk $11,000?

16. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

With all the people bitching about faulty hardware and the like, they need to count their lucky stars for sure. I mean at least all that stuff is repairable under applecare this is extremely unfortunate. Notify the authorities right away, as well as the mall security. Hopefully they caught the guy on tape. :mad::mad:

17. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Lol! I hope they keep it, call for support and get nailed.

That royally blows man. Good thing you kept the Serial Number, though. I hope you get it back.

18. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Also this is a bit unnerving as I am leaving for college in <1 week. Chances of my hardware getting stolen goes up 10 fold.

19. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Did you check your auto insurance policy to see if it covered theft of contents? I am not totally sure, but some may. If anything at all it is at least worth the phone call.

Lesson learned, for probably $50 a year or less you can probably place the laptop on your scheduled property rider on your homeowner's policy.

20. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

You have mobileme?

If so you can babysit another mac with your mobileme account logged in and see if your machine pops up on sharing.

then ya can maybe grab it's ip and even take a few pics of the people who took it..

21. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Did you have it out in plain view? The only time I've left mine unattended was when I had to use the bathroom between classes and I asked someone with a laptop if they'd watch it for me real quick. Suffice to say that was the quickest piss I've ever taken :p

22. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

Sad age we live in? Man has been stealing since day one...

23. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Call your car insurance company, as someone else pointed out. The only thing it costs is your time.

24. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Typically contents are not covered under an auto policy, only things that are bolted to the car. Contents are insured usually under a household or renter's policy, or by a business policy if they are tools or business goods.

The mall insurance will not cover you. You see the signs posted around the parking lot that say "you park at your own risk" and or "we are not responsible for your car" = disclaimer. You agreed to hold the mall blameless by parking there.

25. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

just incase anyone was wondering, statefarm offers insurance for pretty much everything.

I got my 2.5 rev 3 MBP insured for about 55 dollars a year.