Well, ive upgraded to os 10.6 [Problem resolved - merge from post 18 onward]

Discussion in 'macOS' started by roadbloc, Sep 11, 2009.

1. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Well, i did it despite my prejudices. I had had bad experiences with upgrading an os before a got a mac this year. Both PC-BSD and Windows had let me down in their new os's, and ubuntu was the only os not to let me down.

I thought, well, this is apple. Not Micro$oft or a group of sad nerds with no social life. OS X is the best os i've used, and they seem to have a habit of pleasing everyone. And it was only £30! So i removed my prejudices and bought it.

And i upgraded. It took less than an hour which is all good.

And now i'm running os x 10.6. And well... what can i say??

Nothing much has changed, apart from:
    50% of my apps don't work anymore,

iTunes is very slow and has a habit of duplicating my tracks,

expose looks tackier,

my volume, brightness and play/pause/next/back buttons on my keyboard now lag,

It's forgotten all of my bluetooth devices,

My airport signal strength isn't as good and the internet is very slow,

The system preferences wants to "quit and reopen" whenever i click something,

and Quicktime movie player has been replaced with something that resemble's a program i used when i had windows 3.1, except it has curved corners, cutting out bits of my movie.

It does all of this, and only takes an extra 512mb of ram than the previous version, making my games rather jerky, meaning ill have to pay for a ram upgrade.

Way to go apple... you've really impressed me! OS X Vista Leopard! I fully recommend! Anyone not wanting to upgrade, just do it! You won't regret it. Trust me.

2. tamasvarga67 macrumors regular

I also upgraded and nothing as you described... It was painless and I just had to update the driver for my sierra aircard nothing else.

3. PsykX macrumors 6502a

PsykX

Even the alpha and beta versions had none of these problems... What's wrong, really?

4. roadbloc thread starter macrumors G3

roadbloc

You must have a monster of a mac... and £30 to throw.

WHAT EXACTLY IS DIFFERENT APART FROM MORE RAM USAGE, 64bit AND MINOR APPEARANCE MODIFICATIONS????

5. PsykX macrumors 6502a

PsykX

http://www.apple.com/macosx

LOTS of under-the-hood modifications + Exchange support + New QuickTime + Minor modifications throughout the OS. Why didn't you read the perfectly detailed list before even posting? I shouldn't even reply to questions like this.

6. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Yes some of the preference panel items want to click and reopen. I'm not sure why that has changed/. Probably some sort of security thing.

7. roadbloc thread starter macrumors G3

roadbloc

Under the hood. You mean... I DONT SEE IT. It doesn't effect me one bit, and as i said above if you have read MY detailed list before you posted, Quicktime X is appalling.
    I shouldn't even reply to posts like this.
    Security?? I just don't get how restarting the preference panel will make my mac secure.

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I understand your frustration in expecting it work but not everyone will have the same "perfect" experience based on their configurations and apps being used. It would be to your advantage to back up your apps and do a full erase and reformat of your hard drive and install Snow Leopard. Manually install only your normally used apps and set aside any haxies that you might use to modify the system if any. Upgrades work best from a fresh install of the previous system to an upgrade of the new system, OR if a person does nothing more than surf and do emails with very limited downloading and no haxies that might corrupt the system.
    Upgrades make old system files from Leopard blend with new system files in Snow Leopard which can cause issues despite you getting a new system folder.

9. MecPro macrumors 6502

It's just a 32 bit system pref loading in a 64 bit environment, hence the need for the re-opening.

Of course you don't see any difference, of course not. This thread is stupid.

10. alleycat macrumors regular

Ya, that was my problem as well. 10.5.8 ran smooth, but as soon as it was upgraded to 10.6 it was crashing more than the LA freeway. But all has been cured from a re-install of everything from scratch. That's really the way to go with Snow Leopard to ensure that very little will go wrong.

11. Tmlcky macrumors newbie

Roadbloc
    did you follow the instruction of the SL manual?
    Did you reboot your Mac from the SL DVD and then did you repair your hard disk?
    This is a necessary step, unless you preferred to format your disk before running a clean installation.
    My iMac20/Leo 10.5.8 was a perfect machine and now with SL 10.6.1 it is a super-perfect one, no problems at all just everything is better.
    Am I just lucky?

12. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

I had none of your issues.

I upgraded my partners MacBook (she doesn't ever believe in reformatting). Flawless. She absolutely loves Snow Leopard

QuickTime 7 is still there (look inside Utilities).

The differences are minor, that is deliberate hence the price being £25 (Not £30 - I am assuming you are British because you refer to the £ I understand SL is $29)

I nuked and paved my MacBook as I was having some issues with Leopard and I had bought a larger HD to put in there anyway so installed that at the same time.

I personally like the new exposé. QuickTime X is at its initial release. It's a complete rewrite so expect it to improve as Apple works on it. iTunes 9 is a huge improvement, I recommend if you haven't updated, to do that. It feels snappier, despite it still being a 32 bit carbon app.

13. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE:
    "The system preferences wants to "quit and reopen" whenever i click something"

This is because you're clicking on a 3rd party item that isn't 64-bit compliant yet.

What happens is:
    a. You are opening System Preferences in 64-bit mode, but...
    b. You are clicking on a 32-bit 3rd-party preference pane, so...
    c. System Preferences must quit out of 64-bit mode, and then re-launch itself into 32-bit mode, and finally...
    d. You can now click the 3rd-party pref pane and it will open.

- John

14. roadbloc thread starter macrumors G3

roadbloc

Yh. £25 plus Postage and packing, an extra £5.

15. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I too noticed some bugs in ITunes but I don't think it's caused by iTunes alone, but 10.6(1) in general.

MY 1 week old MBP came with SL and right from the start I noticed that in watching videos through FR does not update the play counts and last played date in iTunes. It just shows half a blue dot to show that the show was started but not completed.

On my iMac, shows always updated correctly in iTunes. The iMac was running Leopard with all updates.

Then I decided to upgrade the iMac to SL yesterday and suddenly iTunes develops the same bug that I am having with my MBP.

I used Time Machine to restore my Leopard backup and iTunes works just the way it did before the SL upgrade. I'll try and upgrade again in a few months and maybe the bug will be fixed.

Sure it's not a big deal for most but for me it is since that's the computer that we use to sync our phones and iPods to.

16. TommyCo macrumors member

I upgraded my 3 y/o 1.83 core duo white macbook to Snow Leopard and I've noticed a vast improvement in terms of speed and efficiency. I had previously done a fresh install of Leopard a couple of months ago on this machine so I think I've got a good realistic bearing of each OS version.

I won't be installing SL on my main machine until all my 3rd party software and drivers have been officially supported by the respective developers. As is always the case with any OS update it takes a while for the 3rd party guys to catch up. If you rely on your machine for your livelihood or critical work, its probably a good idea to stick with Leopard for now. Expecting everything to magically work within a couple of weeks of the OS official release is naive and shows a fundamental ignorance of how software actually works.

As for the mentality of "if I can't see it, it doesn't affect me". :rolleyes

Of course it affects you.

SL is the foundation of the future of OSX, a true 64bit multicore (via grand central) operating system implementing emerging tools such as Open GL.

The morals of the story are:

1. If you don't want the prospect of having to deal with potential teething problems - don't be an early adopter.

2. Do some research into how SL works and understand it before criticising it for 'not being any different'.
    :rolleyes:

Seriously guys.

17. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Ahhhhhhh. I bought it at my local Apple Store, so didn't pay P&P

18. roadbloc thread starter macrumors G3

roadbloc

Snow Leopard: I take it all back.

I upgraded my Leopard Macbook to Snow Leopard. It sucked big time and was extremely disappointed and annoyed about the overall rubbishness of it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=784583 I posted this rather abusive thred on the forums and tried to work around my problems.

It just got so annoying, I decided to re-install. I gave SL a second chance and did a clean install.

Well, what can I say? It runs like a dream, or like a mac should anyway.

So here is the moral of my story. NEVER UPGRADE TO SL. DO A CLEAN INSTALL IF YOU WANT A FUNCTIONAL MACHINE. :p:apple:

19. Acsom macrumors regular

I'll respond that the problem isn't with Snow Leopard, it is with Apple's instructions to do the install over the old OS. If the way to do it is with a scrub and rinse then reapply, then that's what the instructions should say.

20. austinwen macrumors newbie

I totally agree with you. First I upgraded to SL from leopard, that gave me nothing but headache. Nothing works after that, every application just kept crashing.

After I CLEAN install, it works like a charm. And, it IS snappier.

21. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

No problems with doing the upgrade here

Upgraded the weekend it came out, all apps work fine, speed is better, no crashes here, my only issues are with changes they made

Not sure why a clean install should be necessary if your system is fine, if a clean install was required for each major os update i would still be on Tiger

22. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I am a big advocate of clean installs. Upgrades have too many variables that can screw things up.

23. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I'm glad that the clean install worked out for you, but it is certainly not necessary for most in order to have a functional machine. Many like myself did the standard upgrade and things have been working just fine all along.

24. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

I did the standard upgrade the weekend Snow Leopard came out. I had a few programs that weren't ready yet but I now have them all running. My system was clean without any problems and I have none now. I have upgraded my system this way since Apple started them and I never had a problem. :D

25. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I'll go one step further in recommending users DO NOT " Restore Apps From Previous Backup " or " Migrate Apps From 10.5 "

Not saying it won't work for *you*, but it might not work for *everyone*.

I went the Clean Install route, and then did the painstaking process of REINSTALLING all of my apps, I even went so far as redownloading all apps acquired on the net .... this was time consuming but it allowed me to identify any noncompliant apps that I might be using, and also gave me the assurance that all of the installation was " clean ".

I went this route with one system here , but it only has Apple Apps on it .... no 3rd party apps. It works. but for the systems loaded down with non-Apple apps I went the Clean Install Route.