Well, OWC screwed me again.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MattG, Oct 28, 2011.

1. MattG, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Bought one of these three months ago.

Bought some hard drives based on what's on this page under the "Click Here for Qx2 Qualified/Recommended HD list" link 1/3 of the way down the page (screenshot attached in case they change the page after the phone call I just had with them). This page indicates that the drives I purchased, while they don't say "recommended" after them, should still work fine (they are not under the "NOT RECOMMENDED" area).

Apparently on another part of the product page that I didn't see, the drive is listed as incompatible. Inconsistent information in two different places, which is not my fault.

So, I called and they're unwilling to do anything. I'm left with what is essentially $700 worth of electronic paperweights.

If they see this and would like to do something to rectify this situation (like send me replacement hard drives listed on their "compatible" page that actually are compatible), I'd gladly update this thread accordingly. Otherwise, this will be the second (and last) crappy experience I'll have had with ordering from OWC.

Attached Files:

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That sucks :(. I hope they replace them for you.

3. Xypheric macrumors newbie

Let me be the first to say

They are not and never will be responsible for what you purchase. If there is ANY doubt you would be better to contact the company before hand and check all it takes is an email/ phone call most of the time.

Im sorry about situation but OWC is not the problem. Good luck rectifying it, I hope they can work to a conclusion with you.

4. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

They may not be responsible for what I purchase, but they should be accurate in documenting what will and won't work. It'd be one thing if that page didn't list the drive at all, but it clearly lists it as a compatible drive.

5. Xypheric macrumors newbie

Best advice for you is to make friendly get the RMA # and return them with a 15% restocking fee and purchase the ones you want.

How did you find this "Other page" that says they are imcompatible

6. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

It's at the bottom of the "Specs" area. I already saw the other page listing compatible drives, so I didn't look through these as it should have just been a repeat of the same info.

I can't return the hard drives to them, I didn't buy the hard drives from them. Believe me, if I had, one way or another they'd be on the way back now. Regardless of where I bought them, the fact remains, that page lists it as a compatible drive.

7. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

Wait a minute YOU DIDN'T BUY THE DRIVES FROM THEM AND YOU'RE COMPLAINING THEY DON'T WORK? What the heck? If you bought from them I'd expect a refund but dude, you're being crazy. They owe you nothing. They made a mistake on their sales pages, and yes - if you bought from them they should fix it. But you didn't. You used the advice of what's now a random person on the Internet to go shopping at said person's competitor, then expect THEM to do something for you when it doesn't work.

Dude, I don't even know where to begin, but that just sickens me. BTW, you say you're leaving OWC. Why do they care if you weren't even buying from them? Good riddance is what I'd be thinking if I were them.

P.S. You said you ordered from them in your original post. Which is it? If you didn't buy the drives from them they owe you nothing. But as a free bonus, they SHOULD laugh in your face that you expect something from them. If you DID buy the drives from them, then yeah, they should swap the drives to one that works - that'd be good customer service.

8. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

Seems he didn't even buy the drives from OWC.

9. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

I ordered the RAID unit from them, which they manufacture and publish the specs for. They posted specs that are inaccurate. Where I bought the hard drives from is irrelevant.

10. skorpien macrumors 68020

No, he's complaining that they don't work with their product when they are listed as being compatible on their own website. If I could save some money, I would have bought them elsewhere too, taking comfort in knowing that they are listed as compatible. The OP bought those drives on the advice of OWC, who should know which drives will work with their products. I say they should take at least partial responsibility.

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OWC has zero responsibility for drives that you purchased elsewhere. The fact that you purchased the enclosure from OWC notwithstanding. Logic would dictate that you seek replacements from the vendor of your hard drives.

BTW, you have not shown that the drives that you purchased meet the specifications listed by OWC.

12. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

The drives I purchased are a model on the list in the graphic I uploaded, so yes, I did show they meet the specs required. What do you want me to do, post a receipt for the hard drives?

No, logic would NOT dictate that I would look for compensation from who I bought the drives from. It's not their fault that the drives they sold me are failing, due to the company who manufactures/sells the enclosure giving me inaccurate specifications. The drives would be working fine in another enclosure. This is OWC's mistake.

Some of you people are missing the point. It'd be one thing if they didn't list this drive at all, compatible or not. It'd be one thing if OWC didn't give any compatibility specs at all, period, and just said "you're on your own to figure out what's compatible." if that were the case then sure, you'd all be right. But, they DO list compatible drives, and they specifically list the drives I purchased for use with this array as COMPATIBLE. If they're going to do that, they should own up to it.

13. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

OWC's error is in presenting conflicting and potentially misleading information on their website.

However, their obligation extends only to the piece of hardware they sold. Asking them to "make good" by supplying compatible replacement drives is beyond their call of duty. The OP's drives were purchased in an entirely different transaction, albeit unduly influenced by OWC's misinformation. No vendor will take responsibility for consequential damages, and they are specifically excluded in most bits of legalese.

A reputable company would correct the oversight, and try to work with the OP to reach an amicable outcome. I would strongly suggest that the OP elevate the issue beyond the first tier support. From what I've seen, their management is not unreasonable in working out issues, but the initial hurdle must still be cleared to reach them.

14. jenzjen macrumors 68000

All OWC is responsible for is taking their product back. I'm sure if your nice and point out the issue, they will take it back without issue. Have they told you they won't accept a return, if so, why?

15. appleorangepie macrumors newbie

OWC made a sale on bad info.
    OWC takes back their drives sold on bad info.
    If OWC says it will work on one page with x drive and then on another page says it won't OWC is wrong. Internet sale based on OWC's wrong information is OWC fault.
    It is simple.
    Who cared where the hard drives were bought. They were selling an enclosure that takes x brand hard drive, but opps it doesn't - OWC's mistake.

16. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Repeating an assertion is not proof of the assertion. I find it curious that you are spending so many type inches besmirching OWC while saying absolutely nothing about the source of your hard drives. Now look. I am an OWC customer. I have nothing but good things to say about it. How do we know how or where you acquired your non-working drives? How do we know that they would work in a proper installation?

Answer my questions or not. This one thing we know for certain--b!tching and moaning on this forum will get you nothing. Keep it up.

17. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

Because I have a reason to come on here and make the whole thing up. Right.

The drives are Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB drives, purchased from Newegg, which anyone who knows computers knows is an extremely reputable vendor.

18. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

Wait, what's the problem? The drives or the unit? If the drives are the problem, which it sounds like they are, you should be able to return them to the vender your purchased them from. Eat the restocking fee and, if you're still unsatisfied with your RAID unit, return it to OWC and eat that restocking fee as well. It sucks, sure, but at least you won't be at a total loss and you can always get a different RAID from a different provider/manufacturer.

19. MattG, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

There is nothing "wrong" with the drives. They'd work in a different drive enclosure. The issue is, I bought these drives for this unit that OWC makes, based on their specs. The product page specifically lists THIS DRIVE as a compatible model. That's the problem. Even if I returned the raid array, I'd still be stuck with these drives, an screwed out of a bunch of money due to OWC's faulty documentation.

20. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

If you bought the drives with Newegg, you should be able to return them for any reason within their return period. I've done it before, with OEM drives no less, and had no issues.

21. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

This was all purchased 3 months ago and has worked fine up until now. There's no returning to Newegg. That is why my only recourse is to get OWC to do something. It's their inaccurate documentation that's left me in this situation.

22. jenzjen macrumors 68000

So what happened/changed when the setup stopped working? Just buy 3 more from Newegg and see if it works again. You'll be well within your return window but will narrow down the issue.

23. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

Nothing changed. Did you read my original post? I've already replaced the drives with warranties replacements from Western Digital and it didnt help. The problem is these drives are incompatible with this unit, despite the fact that OWC specifically lists this drive as compatible. Unfortunately, it's not an issue that always shows itself right away. It worked fine for 3 months, then they started dying. According to OWC, that's just what happens. Their tech support apparently knows about this, yet they still list it as a certified compatible drive.

24. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

this thread kinda made me lol. because there is an error in the docs page which sucks but it does happen you expect for them to what, exchange drives that you didnt even purchase from them. not going to happen and wouldnt happen with any other company what so ever regardless who it was. thats not how it works. like it or not. companies dont replace merchandise if you didnt purchase from them regardless of the circumstance.

25. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

Except for wal-mart, lol.

Joking aside, I hope the OP finds a way to rectify his issue. Although, I don't see OWC budging on the issue since he didn't buy the drives from them. At most, I could maybe see them just letting him return the enclosure, and with that he could just buy a different-branded enclosure that would work with his drives, but that's unlikely. They don't have to take back the drives, but they should take back the enclosure based on the faulty and inconsistent information they provided. He couldn't have known to look in two places and shouldn't have had to look in two places to get a compatibility report from the horse itself.