Well. Why Aren't You Voting?!

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
How can JK Rowling be in the lead with 59%? She just wrote some fantasy book and made herself a lot of money. It was a close call between Rick Warren and the Pope but I ended up voting for my true Savior, Steve Jobs.

/I'm going to Hell.

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
It goes to the person who had the most impact on the world, good or bad. That's how Hitler won it.

GWB might not have done anything super cool last year but he did have the biggest impact on global thinking and as such was the deserved winner. I don't think SJ should win, nor JK Rowling.

That being said I'm going to go vote for Steve.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
F@*&$%!$!^!**&ing Bono for christs sake??? the man who oversimplifies the problems of the world. :rolleyes:

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
And I third that. As much as I like U2, I still think they're extremely overrated.

Applespider

macrumors G4
EGT said:
And I third that. As much as I like U2, I still think they're extremely overrated.
Can I fourth it? I went to one of the U2 concerts this year (not at full ticket price thankfully) and when Bono started ranting, I really felt like shouting back that I paid my money to hear them play music not make simplified political statements without a balanced argument.

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
well i am fithing it.... Bono and U2 can go somewhere..far away. I dont like there music and Bono is well a bit of a dramatist...sigh.
But for my vote it was between steve and JK i voted steve.

PS: for all those people who are ranting about JK..be quiet. that woman has single handedly made millions of children all around the world enjoy reading again!!

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Chundles said:
It goes to the person who had the most impact on the world, good or bad. That's how Hitler won it.
Yup, that's why I just voted for Mother Nature. I think natural disasters have affected people's lives this year a lot more that J.K. Rowling (not that I have anything against her).

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
How can anyone not be voting for Steve! This is not Harry Potter Rumors! Nor is it Mother Nature Rumors! Get your priorities straight, people.

Vote Steve.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
iGav said:
F@*&$%!$!^!**&ing Bono for christs sake??? the man who oversimplifies the problems of the world. :rolleyes:
he's getting some good stuff done though. it takes more than one approach to fix things, in my opinion.

and if i'd actually gotten into a u2 show, i'd have been glad to hear him talk about his ideals. what i'd have gotten a laugh about was all the greedy pieces of **** that were there cheering it all on, and then going on with their lives as usual the next day

chundles has a good point though, and jk rowling should be last.

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
vouder17 said:
well i am fithing it.... Bono and U2 can go somewhere..far away. I dont like there music and Bono is well a bit of a dramatist...sigh.
But for my vote it was between steve and JK i voted steve.

PS: for all those people who are ranting about JK..be quiet. that woman has single handedly made millions of children all around the world enjoy reading again!!
Sixth!

Also, entertaining children shouldn't make you "Person of the Year". To me though the title of the award an the description doesn't seem to match up well.

Time.com said:
TIME's Person of the Year is the person or persons who most affected the news and our lives, for good or for ill, and embodied what was important about the year.
Wouldn't it make more sense to title the aware "Most Influential Person" of the year or "Most Newsworthy Individual of 2005"? That is what the description says. Calling this "Person of the Year" makes it sound like this person would be some great person who moved humanity forward.

What do we have... Bill and Melinda Gates are good philanthropists, I guess I'd vote for them if I had to pick one. Lance Armstrong does some good charity work for cancer - but working to cure a disease you are/were stricken with is not the most altruistic thing you can do in life - it's a little self-serving. (Don't get me wrong, he's doing great things and I'm glad... I'm just not sure he deserves as much praise as he gets) Bono likes to parade around as a humanitarian for spectacle. We have some authors, CEOs of tech companies, a new pope who hasn't had much time to do anything yet, some bad politicians. (Why aren't there any other foreign leaders, just the US? We're so damn arrogant!) A news reporter and "Mother Nature"? To whoever compiled that list, "That's not even a person, f*** nut!"

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
jelloshotsrule said:
and if i'd actually gotten into a u2 show, i'd have been glad to hear him talk about his ideals. what i'd have gotten a laugh about was all the greedy pieces of **** that were there cheering it all on, and then going on with their lives as usual the next day.
But Bono is the one getting $100/seat at the concert - who is the greedy piece of **** now? I tend to think that when you do humanitarian work you shouldn't toot your own horn about it. At least when Bill Gates makes donations and the like he doesn't go around shouting, "Look at all the great things I'm doing!".

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I really think Mother Nature deserves to be there - considering all the major events that have impacted the world over the last year - more so than Harry Potter....

Bleh,

D

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
feakbeak said:
But Bono is the one getting $100/seat at the concert - who is the greedy piece of **** now? I tend to think that when you do humanitarian work you shouldn't toot your own horn about it. At least when Bill Gates makes donations and the like he doesn't go around shouting, "Look at all the great things I'm doing!".
in a way i hear you.. but don't you at least think there's something to be said for raising awareness?

i'd say that beyond his financial contributions to the various causes (primarily africa's poverty/aids relief), his being a public figure for the cause has an invaluable aspect... if even 1% of the people who sign the ONE pledge at a show, or whatever, get more involved and open up their minds to that problem, and others, it will be a good thing.

i'm not sure how i feel about the big $ for the shows. i do think that the show u2 puts on (based on their previous two tours, i didn't go this time) is far more worth the $ than someone like nathalie merchant who basically stands on stage and sings for similar money.. or did, when she was popular.

i don't think he's some sort of saint, but i'd say he's done more good than jk rowling or steve jobs, for sure.