Well you lot have me worried

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apple-NoEscape, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

I am/was (not to sure anymore) planning to upgrade my 3GS to iPhone 4 this august. Not by choice; this is just when my contract is eligible for
    an upgrade.
    However there seems to be an aweful lot of problems with the iPhone 4; from
    the signal dissapearing by bridging the gap (seriously why isn't it covered in some kind of concealer?
    To the yellow blotch issues and the screen being about 100000x less resistant to damage then Steve would of had us believe.
    There's also cases of the iPhone moving my itself when on a very slight slope. Not like sliding down due to gravity but actually moving. People are speculating it may be the gyro doing this.

How likely do you think it is that apple will sort any of these problems in the next couple if months?

Anyone here not had any problems with their phone? (please no apple fanbois that would say their phone was perfect even if it was a pile of smashed class and broke plastic.

2. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Can't say about the new phone since I don't have one but I do wonder about your wording of "not by choice" Sure you have a choice--you don't have to get a new phone just because the 2 years are up. If you are uncomfortable with what you hear about the 4, then wait until you are comfortable.

3. macmadandproud macrumors member

lol, that is soooo weird I hadn't read anything about the "moving issue" and thought it was just my imagination.

I have put my iPhone on the arms of my chair for 3 years now, and have never had any issue. Twice now, it has randomly fallen off without being touched.

After the 2nd time, I actually got off the chair, and watched it inch closer and closer to the edge of the chair, and ultimately fall off.

What a strange and funny bug, but I know one thing... they ain't fixing that one with a patch! :)

4. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

At this point everyone is looking for problems. Things are getting blown out of proportion.

There are a lot of us having no problems at all.

That being said, if you're on the fence, wait until we see some fixes for some of the problems before you upgrade.

5. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

If I were you, I would not upgrade. 3GS with iOS 4 does 90% of what you would want. The only reason to upgrade now is if you really want the better camera and facetime. The speed difference between the 3G to the iPhone 4 is huge-- but for 3GS to 4, not so much.

I'd wait until Apple straightens out the issues, and by next year, you will get a better iPhone. Besides with iOS 4, you already have a "new" phone!

As far as the specific problems:

1) Yellow blotch- I didn't have this problem- i hear it is only temporary.
    2) Antenna issue- I don't have this problem. I cannot replicate it with my phone, but I don't doubt that it exists... not sure what the fix is going to be
    3) I have never heard of the phone moving on its own.
    4) I and others DO have problems with the proximity sensor not being activated and then you are "cheek dialing" while on a call- or hanging up or muting when you don't want to. This is extraordinarily annoying and has to be fixed somehow. Not being able to use the phone as a phone is a problem.
    5) I have noticed that where I was once getting signal with my iPhone 3G, I am NOT with the 4 (it goes back and forth from EDGE to 3G, no bars to 4 bars. But this may be related to the firmware and how it is programmed to "hone in" on the least used pipeline in the cell tower--- hopefully the next revision of firmware will fix that.

That is my advice at least....

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Most of the issues are amplified 1000x by the complainers. The avg. consumer with no issues doesn't usually go online to say I just bought a phone and it works great! But I think the biggest testament is that demand for the iPhone is still very high despite all the news stores the past couple of days -- stores sell out soon after they get stock, and from what I see, there aren't long lines of people returning their phone like there were for buying on launch day.

My first phone had the yellow issue. I took it back to the store and they replaced it. No issues with the replacement phone. I think the yellow issue has mostly worked itself out. You hardly seen any posts about it now.

Every mass produced product has a failure rate. The iPhone is no different. I would not let tales of the Internet persuade or dissuade you unless that is your goal. If you are looking for pretext to buy or not buy something the Internet is always a great place to start.

7. Apple-NoEscape thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry I meant it as 'it isn't my choice to wait that long' if my contract was eligible for upgrade sooner I would have the iPhone 4 already.

8. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I'd return your phone then. It's obviously defective. I know that not all phones do this cause neither my nor my roommate's do this so you should easily be able to get one that works.

I also know I would not put up with it and I'm sure my roommate wouldn't either. Honestly, if this was a design defect, if they didn't fix it, it would have me seriously consider another phone though I'd really not want to cause I love the other features. I mean the antenna thing I'd be willing to just hold it differently if I had that issue and they didn't issue a fix because it's not annoying enough for me to give up the phone (I can deal with holding it differently). I couldn't put up with a broken approximity sensor.

9. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Please don't listen to the whiners and trolls on this forum. They have blown up their own problems to make it seem as though they are large scale problems which they aren't. The phone is amazing. Easily the best phone on the market. Get one with our worry.

10. rrjr80 macrumors member

rrjr80

I haven't had a single problem so far. I've been nothing but impressed with my phone.

11. Robbadore64 macrumors regular

I love my phone and it's a major upgrade from my 3G. I can reproduce the signal loss issue now easily enough but it hasn't been an issue for me when I talk on the phone or browse the web etc. I have to go out of my way to make the signal drop so it's a non-issue for me.

Never seen the "moving iPhone" issue but would like to; magic?

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

One other thing which is kind of amusing... if you go back to the 3G launch a lot of people were complaining that the 3G was too slow. People were damning that phone like the iP4. Turned out to be a s/w issue which Apple fixed. Then the 3GS was release, which was even faster, yet many 3G owners -- the ones complaining about speed -- said they liked their 3G and could not justify moving to the 3GS. Perfectly reasonable, but just an example of how people are nit picky when these products are released and then forget they existed a year later.

Threads here might have you believe the iP4 is a lemon. It's not. It's a peach, just maybe a little green. It will ripen quickly though and all but the Droid guys will love it.

13. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

People arguing that complainers are stupid. Poll on front page suggests more have issues than those that don't. Stop being silly, I bet you've not even got the phone!

14. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

If you believe such a poll that can be voted on by any android user coming here to troll is accurate, then I won't even waste another post trying to explain how the poll is irrelevant because you won't comprehend it.

15. 2of3 macrumors member

I'm picking mine up on monday and tbh all the 'little girl' whining that's happening here doesn't put me off at all :)

16. samcraig macrumors P6

There are legitimate issues with phones of some posters. To negate that is ignorant. To imply that relaying issues that people ARE having is whining or trolling is also ignorant.

17. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

I think the average user doesn't even know about the reception issue. I was able to reproduce it to a small degree, but I would have never noticed on my own if I wasn't looking for it. I think if this was as big of a deal as many are making it out to be there would be people lining up at the Apple stores to return their phones. The average user buys the iPhone because they like the features it provides, but usually don't have the loyalty to the iPhone that many of us on here do and would return it in a heartbeat and go with something else if this was truly a real issue. Most people walk away happy with their new iPhone and don't even know about the issue.

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Hmm... I did a word search on this thread for "stupid," "dumb," and "idiot." The first instance of any of those words is your post.

19. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

I suppose the only way to shut you trolls up is to show you a video of ME, on my phone, unable to make a call due to this issue. Why would we all be lying? I guess we should expect idiotic apple fanbois here though

20. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

That poll is filled with people who actually hate apple and most likely voted just to jump on the bandwagon. Now some people do have issues but alot of people don't.

And Mac Rumors do not have every single iPhone 4 user in the world in this board. So pretty much there are more people in this country that have an iPhone and yet people act like every mac/iPhone user is on this board.

This board is pretty biased and to get a real indication of how many iPhone users out of the millions sold who may or may not have this issue. You would have to go outside of this board.

This place is not the oracle of delphi when it comes to these issues and people don't seem to get that.

Life must be nice when you have blinders on or when you hate something so much you can't see the truth from fiction

21. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

So it's ignorant to insist that people are not having problems? But yet it's not ignorant to insist that it's every single iPhone sold that's having the issue? Your logic is pretty fuzzy.

You really think that every iPhone user exists on this board and that if someone is not having an issue that they are lying? Well your wrong

22. Prise macrumors regular

Well you lot have me worried...

The title of your post cracked me up!

If you don't find it too peculiar to hold the phone without bridging the antenna, or planning to use some kind of external casing, you aren't going to notice or experience the signal erosion issue. In my view, this is the only "failing" worthy of note, since holding a signal for a phone call is important for a telephone, especially a mobile one.

As to the other various failings, I think they're all minor issues that most people wouldn't even notice--or care about--unless it was pointed out specifically to them.

Try out the phone. If your natural grip doesn't inhibit the antenna gap, there is absolutely no reason not to buy this phone. It is a both significant and worthy upgrade over the 3Gs, in my view.

23. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Hmm... I did a search on this thread for "lie," "liar," and "lying," and guess what, the first instance of those words is, yes, your post.

24. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

I always hold the phone with my left hand in a position that is the worst possible for this issue. Even without using a case I have not had one dropped call or degraded voice quality. I would say if your not looking for the problem you probably won't even notice.

25. Sinfire macrumors regular

There are too many people on here just looking for problems, and then over exaggerating the problems to make things seem a lot worse than they actually are.

I don't have the yellow spots on my screen, and the signal quality on my phone when used the way I usually use it is great. Now if I put my phone into the death grip that a lot of videos are showing, I too start to lose signal bars. But who cares, when I use my phone for everyday use, I do not hold it using a death grip.