Welp, I struck out at five different stores tonight

Discussion in 'iPad' started by duelingdragons, Mar 11, 2011.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

FML.

First I went to Walmart and they literally looked at me like I had two heads when I asked if they had iPad 2's.

Then I went to Best Buy (at about 5:15) and they were already sold out.

Then went to Target, nothing. They didn't get a shipment. Tried another BBY and Target on the way home, same thing.

WTF man...

2. mr jnvii macrumors member

Me too.

Any word on the apple store having more tomorrow morning?

3. 184550 Guest

Sucks, but TBH Wal-Mart probably wasn't the best place to start at.

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Local Apple store (Columbia, MD) said they're sold out until next week.

5. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

Everyone kept saying Apple stores would get the largest shipment. If you kept up with the early east coast threads, you knew lines would be long and places would sell out.

6. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

I doubt they will... I have a feeling its going to have to wait until next week at the earliest.
    I can't believe its 2-3 weeks on Apple.com

7. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

8. racer1441 macrumors 68000

All depends on the walmart. I managed to get two at mine. They had some unspoken for at 5:30

9. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

was lucky to have someone pick mine up but the best buy store here in miami still had even after that. not so crowded either.

10. ozred macrumors 6502

After so many complaints like yours, I believe Apple' playing games with distribution to make themselves look good.

They know everyone is afraid to criticize or question them since Apple is powerful & vindictive.

So the others stores stand like scared dogs, tail between their legs waiting for Apple to "bless them".

11. billhelm macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Same here. I ended up ordering from Apple.com. Not sure if I want to spend the next two weeks trying to chase one down (but might anyway).

12. 184550 Guest

Exactly, a crap shoot.

I suspect Apple and Best Buy had more uniformity.

13. omyard macrumors regular

This is why I went to my Apple store early. I knew they'd get the most, have plenty of accessories and have the better organizied event out of everyone.

14. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

15. unfeomateo macrumors member

I guess it takes luck. The first target I went to never got a shipment in and when I walked in there was an old man yelling and screaming at a manager saying that target marketed the iPad for a 5pm launch, I couldn't help laughing at him the entire time. Then I went down the street to a second Target at 4:58 and I was the 3rd in line and walked out a few minutes later with my 32GB wifi black iPad.

16. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Yeah, not much use for an iPad in Miami, too many other things to consume.
    ;)

17. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Don't worry!

Apple stores and Best Buy will be restocked Monday afternoon. Spoke to Best Buy GM and an Apple store employee.

So come monday all will be ok

18. chilly willy macrumors regular

chilly willy

I feel your pain. I just missed getting an iPad2 at a Best Buy here in Charlotte - they only had 50 total. I scrambled to a Walmart and there was no line, but just got beat for last one - guy literally asked mgr about what they had in stock before I could say anything. The Target near the BB where I waited only got FIVE units. Another Target had only a few and all gone when I got there. AT&T store was out. :(

I just could not manage to go wait 3-4 hours in line at the Apple Store, but dumb for not ordering online at 1am PST. Still, Apple's launch left much to be desired from my standpoint, regardless of any positive spin from "huge lines for iPad2" in news outlets. Just feel like it was wrong to announce more outlets had the thing when in reality most got few units and none would tell you what they even had in stock (if they knew or had any yet)until it was too late to get to another location. That said, with the awful news in Japan, I will refrain from feeling sorry for myself over failing to procure a cool gadget.

I am now living the dream that is "ships in 2-3 weeks" :D

19. rkahl macrumors 65816

"You shoulda got there a little sooner!" -Junkyard Willie

20. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I got to Best Buy at 4:55 today. All their vouchers were gone. So I went to the local Target, and they only got five, and they were gone when I got there (5:05). I tried Walmart next and they didn't even get any. I went back to Best Buy because they said any unclaimed vouchers could be sold off at 6. By 5:35, they were all claimed and sold out. On my way home I called Walmarts in four other cities nearby. Two weren't getting them or hadn't gotten them yet. The other two were sold out. Also called two other Targets, and they both said they only got five each.

Apple Store is a 2-3 hour drive for me, so that wasn't an option. Wish I would have ordered one online this morning. I ordered one tonight and it says 2-3 weeks (notification says ships April 1). So I figure if I find one in stock somewhere in the next couple of weeks, I'll just cancel the order.

Was a frustrating day, as it was an hour drive to get to the Best Buy. I figured I'd be out of luck, but still disappointed. Seemed like my Best Buy only had about 15-20 of them.

21. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Wow! Sorry you had such a hectic day. I ordered mine online, but can imagine the frustration for those "braving" the lines today. I thought about being among the first in line but changed my mind.

22. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Not sure if you've seen this yet but online ordering actually started a little before 1 am PST. It was the least painful, sure route since I could get exactly the model I wanted and don't mind the wait. Mine ships in 2-3 days. BUT the good news is that yours will be on the way!

23. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Now that's good news. Never could understand why launch supply always seems to run short of demand.

24. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Sure it is. Someone gets a little too close, screams near the surface of your skin and you get a welp. :eek:

25. ssspinball macrumors 6502

It bothers me too. :) It doesn't even shorten the word well. Truly bizarre!