Welp There Goes My eBay Power Cords

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by karboN.6, Oct 1, 2013.

1. karboN.6, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2013

karboN.6 macrumors regular

Now there seems to be an update that makes it impossible to charge or sync your iphone atleast my (Iphone 5s) with any third party cables, this is annoying because I purchased two 10 foot cables and a car charger that now dont work. Apple all i have to say to you is that you are greedy mother ****ERS! :mad:

2. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

My Amazon basics cable works just fine for charging a 5s 16 gb.

3. g4manimac macrumors 6502

It is what it is might as well get you some original apple cables on the way that way you remove any doubt!I have 2 coming in the mail and cant wait to get them that way I know they will work RELIABLY WITH MY IPHONE! I havent had a whole lot of cheap cables last long anyways the dang end always pulls apart from the plug,I have had some good ones but they dont work anymore either.

4. karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

It is all because some woman got electrocuted by her aftermarket cable and then apple decided to put that, since she tried suing but lost. People are so annoying, was it really that necessary because it was apple she tried to sue.

----------

youre gonna have to link me with it.... and do they have a 10 foot version?

5. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Thought it would just give a message. They don't work at all. That sucks. Not that I'd trust bootleg cables anyway.

6. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Those are certified cables. I just ordered 1 that I can keep at work. Manufactures can pay Apple for a license to produce cables. The cable has a chip in them which tells the phone if it's a legit cable or not.

The longest they have is 6 feet.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Lightning-Compatible-Cable-Meter/dp/B009SYZ8OC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380676233&sr=8-1&keywords=lightning+cable

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I got a usb extension cable and plugged my apple cord into it and I get the error and no charging.

8. marddin, Oct 1, 2013

marddin macrumors 6502

I ran into this as well when upgrading to iOS 7. You must purchase lighting cables/accessories that are MFi certified. Monoprice has great lighting cables that I can confirm work with iOS 7. They even have a 6ft option cable.

Monoprice Lightning Cable (6ft.)

The lightning end of the cable isn't much larger than the apple standard one so no issues with my speck candyshell.

9. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

10. karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

I found one on ebay that was like 8$ for a 10foot one that is certified so lets find out if it really is...

11. user-name-here, Oct 1, 2013

user-name-here macrumors 65816

With the reports of the woman who got electrocuted in China, Apple has every right to protect it's company interests from lawsuits by making sure people aren't using cheap unauthorized alternatives.

12. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

It's not all third party lightening cords. I bought a weird off brand that wouldn't work but the Belkin cord I bought worked and a Walgreens cord I bought also worked.

13. karboN.6, Oct 1, 2013

karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah but who wouldve thought that in order to protect them the third part product not being made by apple wasnt enough for a lawsuit... Idk i dont think they shouldve went that hard, but also if i were in there situation i would be taking any precaution. Dont want to lose that number one spot!

14. SantaRosa2.2 macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

My generic eBay cable still works after upgrading the iOS 7... I just get the warning message

15. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

16. user-name-here macrumors 65816

I don't understand what the point of these sentences are trying to say. Can you edit them to be more clear?

As for not wanting to lose that number one spot, you're damn right. Apple is a corporation, if it can prevent a multi-million dollar lawsuit & subsequent tarnishing of its brand name then they are going to do it & have every right to.

17. karboN.6 thread starter macrumors regular

Holy damn!!! I am spelling and forming sentences like a preschooler! Sorry I am very tired and I am half asleep. I was trying to say something along the lines of why would they need to do the error message since it is a third party product, the consumer should take the risk of doing damage to their own product because we all know the ebay companies will not pay for a new phone if anything were to happen. I just think they are going a little bit over board with the error message.... Im sure they have something stating in the terms and conditions that use of any third party object are at your own risk, anything that happens is not and cannot be apples fault... and i typed there i meant THEIR*** I HATE WHEN PEOPLE MAKE THAT MISTAKE AND I DID IT! :mad:

18. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

I got an amazon cable, works fine but be warned it will not fit the hole in the Apple slim leather case. I've decided to go case-free so can still use it, but if you like your Apple case beware....

19. SantaRosa2.2 macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

It's okay brother. It's just a web forum. Don't beat yourself up too bad..;)

20. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

If she got electrocuted, she wasn't suing Apple.

21. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502a

JonathanK81

I wish everybody thought like that, but they don't. Many people who buy third party stuff will blame Apple. Say Person X buys a generic from eBay. They won't say "Oh, I bought a crappy cable, it's my fault." Nope, many people will go to Apple and blame them. Nobody likes taking their own blame. I try to get first party stuff as often as I can. The only thing I don't have right now is the car charger which scares me. Everything else, even the case is Apple branded. I'd rather pay a little more for peace of mind.

22. knux11 macrumors regular

+1 for the amazon basics cable. love having a black cord in my car, the white stands out too much.

23. Fission macrumors regular

Yea, she's dead.

24. goldengopher macrumors newbie

They also have a 10 ft (just including because that's what asker originally was looking for). http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=112&cp_id=11213&cs_id=1083101&p_id=10029&seq=1&format=2

25. Kemonsterr macrumors 6502

Kemonsterr

Being Someone who purchases 3rd party cables only. (I work at best buy, the discount is amazing). I have had zero problems with them, FYI, best buy now sells a 10 foot cable that actually lasts. Problem solved.