iPad Went from Air to Air 2 and love it!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by patseguin, Oct 24, 2014.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I know this has been debated and I thought I would chime in with my 2 cents. I had the 1st Air and just got my Air 2 yesterday. I immediately noticed the difference in thinness and even lightness. The screen quality is dramatically better imo and the fingerprint scanner tops off a really nice upgrade to the original Air. For me, the upgrade was well worth it. The Air 2 is quite noticeably faster, beautiful to look at, and very nice to hold in my hand for extended periods. I also like not having to swipe and enter a passcode. I think this is the best product Apple has made to date.

2. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

Me too. Love it! Can't find a case yet though. Ordered the Apple leather case. You?

3. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

I'm going to do the same thing, I'm going to get a 64gb iPad air 2...upgrading from an air, mainly for the Touch ID and the future proofing of the A8X and the 2gb of ram, I'm glad it's a noticeable difference between the two

4. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

i don't get why people say "future proofing", ipad 3/4 still runs as good as day 1....i can bet that you will upgrade ur ipad b4 it shows any sign of lag/choke.

5. rexboe macrumors regular

rexboe

i upgraded from the air and love the air 2 everything works better

6. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

One thing I've noticed is when typing it doesn't sound "hollow" like the Air 1?

7. MacintoshDan macrumors regular

I bought my Air as an upgrade from an iPad 2 fully expecting to upgrade to the next model just for Touch ID. I am picking up my Air 2 today. It will be the first idevice I put AppleCare on because I don't plan on upgrading it for a while, unlike my iPhone i get every year.

8. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Finally, a positive thread about the new iPad.

9. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

10. liquorice macrumors regular

liquorice

lol i have gone from the brick of an iPad 2 to the iPad air 2 and that is a hell of a difference :D
    didn't realise the iPad 2 was so heavy :)

11. cindaddy macrumors member

I need one, but can't find one at a reasonable price, yet. Not going to go naked for too long.

12. flur macrumors 68000

I will be going naked until skins are available. I got great scratch protection from the gelaskins skin on my ipad 4, so I'll be going that route again with my A2.

13. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

My iPad 3 was noticeably lagging compared to my newer iOS devices. I don't remember it always being that slow; rather, newer software becomes more demanding. Some software requested or required features that the iPad 3 didn't have. It's not unexpected. And if Best Buy weren't offering what I felt was a nice trade in offer that included iPad 3's, I'd probably still be using that iPad 3 now.

14. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

"Later this year, we've got the best product pipeline that I've seen in my 25 years at Apple," he said. "I believe the products we've got coming are great." -Eddy Cue, May 28

15. hawkeyefan80 macrumors newbie

I had originally decided I was not going to upgrade. I had my original iPad 1 for 2 years until the iPad 3 came out, then kind of played musical iPads.......I switched from the iPad 3 to the iPad mini but couldn't deal with the non Retina display. Switched back to the iPad 3, but then a few months later the iPad Air came out. I loved my Air because it gave me the full sized, beautiful Retina display but it didn't weigh a ton like my iPad 3. I had intended on sticking with the iPad Air for at least 2 years after going back and forth, but I got $351 trade from Best Buy so I took the plunge. So at the end of the day, I paid $287.49 after tax and brought home a 64 GB iPad Air 2. Was it worth it? For that price, yes it was. I absolutely LOVE the fact that it has Touch ID. And going from a 32 GB to a 64 GB was a nice bump as well. All in all do I think it is a major difference from the iPad Air that I traded for it? No, not really. Don't get me wrong it is a wonderful device, and if I still had an iPad 4 or less it would be a no brainer to upgrade to the iPad Air 2. But I can honestly say that if it wasn't for the fact that I got $351 towards the trade in, I would not have traded up just yet.

As for the case question........I've never been a fan of cases for iPads. It makes sense for certain usage scenarios (IE: in schools with kids using them). Since my days of having an iPad 3 I have always just gone with a smart cover to protect the front and no case. On the iPad Air that I just traded in, you'd have been very hard pressed to find so much as a nick on the back of it, and that is with throwing it in and out of my laptop bag every day and sliding it across my nightstand every night when I go to bed. The metal they use is rather sturdy, so I say just go with the Smart Cover.

16. ipadlvr macrumors regular

Does the screen deform if you hold it or put pressure on the back?

17. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

I really don't notice too much of a difference but I did go from a 16 GB Air to a 64 GB air so you can imagine the upgrade just in storage is amazing

18. VanCanucks macrumors newbie

I'm debating whether I should upgrade my air to air 2. 2gb of ram is really tempting for me and not to mention the thinness

19. Zcott macrumors 68020

Yep, I'm impressed with this upgrade. Sure, it's an evolution of the Air design but it's a good upgrade. The screen feels much better and it feels like a real premium product. Hard to fault, imo.

20. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

I've never been a fan of cases for the iPad. I enjoy the thinness and lightness and a case just makes it more bulky. I do understand people wanting to protect their devices though. Mine pretty much stays by me in the living room so I don't need much protection. I might consider a smart cover but even that may not be needed in my car (no pun intended lol).

And for who asked, I'm not going to bend my iPad to see if the screen bends. There's already a disgusting video of someone doing that, hehe.

I agree with the posts about future proofing. Future proofing is when you buy the most powerful hardware possible so that you don't need to upgrade as often. I consider the iPad 2 very future proof. I can't imagine what they can do too the iPad 3 to make it more attractive to buyers other than a processor bump. I think this thing is so darned fast I'll be content with it for a few generations.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I also went from the Air to the Air 2 and thereis no hollow feeling anymore. The screen seems solid with something directly behind it. It is one tight tablet.

22. Angler macrumors regular

Bought the mini last year didn't use it much as form facts to small for me. Nice to be back. Love the feel of the screen! Good job apple!

23. ipadlvr macrumors regular

Are you noticing the screen distortion gate boloney on the right side? Or normal use is fine?

24. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I went a Air to Air 2 and love it.

Performance is way better and I'm blown away with how slim it is every time I hold it. This thing is an engineering marvel.

I haven't noticed any screen issues with casual use.

The case does vibrate some with sound, but damn the speaker is nice. Also, this may be just me, but it feels like sound is coming from all around the iPad instead of just the bottom and I think the effect is cool.

25. Angler macrumors regular

No issue that I can see but I'm not putting it in my pocket and sitting on it lol