Went to 7

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dukebound85, Oct 31, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Had a hackintosh and maintaining it was becoming a PITA. I went to 7 and so far so good. Plus it will force me to learn the ins and outs of the OS to a greater extent than I already know windows

I will keep my handy mb by my sife as well though!

If windows didn't have virus threats, Id move over completely for the mere fact of more hardware options

Im scared to do online banking on my windows machine so thats reserved for the macbook lol

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well all right. You and Spaz should start a blog together.

3. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Best of luck. I've started installing 7 on a few PCs. It's still Windows. Not much has changed.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

This will help with viruses and the like.

MSE, completely free. and it does an OK job, too. http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

These days, viruses are almost non-existant. It's trojans and phishing that you have to worry about. Phishing can be done on any platform, mac or pc, and torjans rely on social-engineering to have the user install them, also something that can be done on a mac or PC.

If you're really that concerned about malware, I would consider reading up on this. It will help you keep your Windows 7 install running cleaner, but also help protect you on your mac or PC from threats.

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/terms/socialengineering.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect/fraud/phishing/reduce.aspx

Also, look at the bottom part of this.

Basically, "virus" scanners these days worry less about virus's and more about social-engineering, and protecting the user from themselves :eek:

EDIT: You guys can all count me in on the un-switcher camp too. Windows 7 is "good enough", and fixes everything I liked on OS X that XP lacked.

5. felt. macrumors 6502a

whatever happened to brand loyalty.....lol just kidding, windows 7 rules!

6. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

The bugs in OS X have encouraged me to use Windows 7 as my
    main OS. I still use OS X, though, but not as much as Windows 7.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Wow, that made a lot of sense. A few bugs in OS X was enough to get you to switch to W7? Guess Apple will never release an update to fix the bugs. :rolleyes:
    At this point Windows wouldn't have any customers if the bugs and security drove them all away. :p

8. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

I am trying to find windows equivalent for

1) carbon copy cloner
    2) eyetv
    3) one password or wallet
    Thanks for the helpful post. So not much to worry about as far as like online banking and what not I gather?
    Personal preference

SL has some bugs. I know its hard to acknowledge.

The point is that while 7 may be or may not be as good as osx, its good enough and the advantages it brings in terms of hardware options is what influenced me

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I've tried to find equivalents too since I have to use XP at work. I'm an rsync fan and recently found a GUI front end that works cross-platform called Grsync. You may want to check it out, I like it so far.

10. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

^^ thanks

what about a compressed file manipulator like for .tar/.gz/.zip and what not?

11. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

In all seriousness, there was no reason to post this here. You knew you would get the responses you have. Which means you posted this in order to get the responses you have. The number of people who care about you switching to 7 is a very small number, you would be better off on a Windows forum.

Flame bait is not a hard concept, but it seems you may have trouble understanding that.

7-Zip is quite popular.

12. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

It was not flame bait at all. If you read my post, no where was I saying "OSX is horrible" or whatnot. In fact, I didn't even mention OSX. I love OSX on my mb. I just did not love getting it to work on my home built computer lol

I merely said that the time messing with a hackintosh was getting old and I decided to use 7 as it supports my hardware with the added benefit of me learning a new OS

Where's the flame bait?

The fact that some posters here have nothing better to do than mock a decision that doesn't have Apple behind it that says something about the type of poster here on MR

Thanks for that. :)

13. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

No offense to OP, but..

Why are there two thread about windows in here?! :confused:

14. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Installed Windows 7 inside Fusion ran it at fullscreen to get the full "experience" I don't know why I was a windows user for 13 years before I switched to a Mac now I get really really mad 10 minutes into a session of Windows. Can't stand it anymore.

15. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Completely understandable. That hackintosh was made for it. :D

I've been tinkering with Win7 for a while now and I can honestly say, I don't like it. Don't get me wrong... it's damn stable but like Vista, I just can't get used to the cheesy and dull cartoon-like interface. The longer I use it the more I prefer the sharp detail in OSX. (A minor thing to be sure but I'm just being honest).

I'm no Apple fanboy either and had I never switched to a mac I'd probably be raving about Win7. But the more I use OSX I learn to appreciate the care and elegance in its design. (The finder still sucks though). Colors are more vibrant on OSX and it handles tonal appearance much better.

I do like the new, "shake" feature in windows where everything hides. Also, the side by side view for comparing the contents of 2 open windows.

16. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Not a few. A lot. Some very serious. One can trash an entire volume.

17. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

ok how does one edit log in applications? lol man this may not have been a good idea

18. Skweeky macrumors member

I did this too. Same history, same result. My Windows 7 appliance is now in the trash where is belongs.

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This thread is starting to remind me of TheSpaz

20. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

start > "msconfig" without " ". I use Windows 7 and OSX daily, I don't have a personal preference for both. Its just 50/50 for me.

21. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

thanks, that did it

22. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Possibly one of the most useful and enlightening posts I've seen on these forums for those who continually espouse the invincibility of OS X.

KeePassX has a Windows version, not sure if it's compatible with W7 yet though. It's an open source project though, so there will be one soon enough if there isn't already.

It happens all the time. People are looking for attention and feel like they have to "stick it" to the community they are leaving behind, as if they're somehow better than them for leaving. Just look at any thread with a title like "Done with Apple for Good" or "I've had it with AppleCare." Just ignore them.

23. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

it was a nice insight

Lol I have no intention leaving the mac platform or this community anytime soon

What I do know is that there are many people who ar knowledgeable about windows here even though its a mac forum as many people work with both platforms on a regular basis

Ive been around long enough to realize that so why not try and take advantage of the knowledge base?

To me, its not "just osx" or "just windows"