Went to Apple Store for iMac this morning

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cjhfengphoto, Mar 24, 2012.

1. cjhfengphoto macrumors newbie

I came back out empty-handed. I don't wan to wait but it's quite risky to get an iMac now and suddenly next week the new iMac with Ivy Bridges launches.

I could use a new desktop right away, but I guess I don't "need" it as a necessity for now.

I am a new Mac user, I just decided to jump from PC to Mac. I thought about building a PC again, but it's a big hassle. I am very excited to get my hands on Mac.

If you were me, you would choose to wait too right?

What is the most popular consensus on its release date? Is it going to wait for the Mountain Lion OS? Or it will just release before the launch of Mountain Lion?
    I heard Ivy Bridge is coming out in the late-April. Would iMac come right after or it should be before?

2. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Actually, i AM waiting. It'll be worth it. Just hold tight. We only have a few more weeks most likely. :)

3. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

A few weeks, few months, years? What if the iMac becomes the iPod Classic of the Mac--stagnation, withering away? You might be waiting forever.

Seize the day. Else you may chase that pot of gold o'er the rainbow forever.

----------

Hitler would wait. What will you do?

4. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

A few weeks really? :eek: I was under the impression the wait was a bit longer than that. I hope it is a few weeks. I was under the impression speculation put it toward the end of April or early may.

Edit: I suppose in a best case scenario that could be construed as a few weeks.

5. PaulCostello macrumors member

I was waiting just as you, til I realized I need a iMac now! There's always gonna be a new imac coming soon. I guess you can wait a few weeks or a few months for the new ivy bridge models, but I assure you that after that, there'll be another new model coming later. I ordered a refurbished 21" base model a few days ago, and can't wait till Tuesday, the day of arrival. Just my opinion.

6. GyroFX macrumors 6502

just wait till May, it's only like 5 weeks...

7. cjhfengphoto thread starter macrumors newbie

I am looking at the Refurb model.

I don't know how much will I benefit from the 2012 update if I go for the lowest spec iMac model?

Right now the refurbish 21.5 inches is only $999.99, which I think is a good price.

8. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

A year ago everybody was waiting For Macs with Thunderbolt. I wonder how many of those who waited have actually used it.

9. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

1-2 months. They're coming, calm down.

10. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

If it was weeks away we would be bombarded with supply chain leaks by now. I want it as soon as possible because I am waiting too. I wouldnt but an iMac now, I am fine with my macbook air until the new iMac comes.

11. NextGenApple macrumors regular

This is the thing there will always be something new. You buy Ssndy Bridge now which is powerful when you upgrade in say 2-3 years you should see differences. Buy Ivy you need to wait a few years to see improvements. You can keep waiting but there will always be a newer model.

As for processors Apple used core2duo for a few years. Now people are spoilt and wait on newer CPU that will bring minimal increase.

----------

Also most smart people wouldn't buy right away on refresh. These chips are late as they are, why? Me I like to buy a year into things as all the problems have been ironed out. It's not like it's my last iMac so will have the latest design sometimes as I upgrade 2-3 years in.

12. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

True, but it is expensive to make use of Thunderbolt.

Sandy Bridge may mean the introduction of USB, which has much more affordable devices. The new iMac may also bring 802.11ac wifi. Apple certainly has a history of using the new wifi specs before final ratification.

13. RedCroissant Suspended

Why wait at all?

I was having the same issues as far as trying to plan which one to buy and when because I didn't want to miss out on the newest thing. I finally decided that I would not know exactly what the update would be and bought the 2009 20" iMac with aluminum front and black plastic back. I'm glad that I didn't wait because it has been and still is an awesome machine. I have no regrets at all.

My wife wanted a Mac as well and we got her a 21.5" iMac in June of 2010(about 3 months before they updated the line to include the i3 and i5). Still no regrets because she has never had any issues with it and it is also an awesome machine. If you want an iMac, buy one. I now also have a 15" MBP that I wanted to get before there was a chance of the ODD being removed during the next refresh. I am completely happy with it and it has become my main computer.

The bottom line is that you're not going to know what the update or refresh is, so stop waiting to own an amazing computer.

14. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

It is only a PC, not a piece of perishable fruit. Just buy the damn thing.

15. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

What if instead of releasing upgraded iMacs, they release retrograde iMacs? :eek:

16. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I did the same exact thing as you today. Last week I overloaded my head with research and whatnot and today I was going to but the iMac of my dreams.

After about an hour in the store I decided against it and ended up at MicroCenter. Walked out with N Intell 520 SSD, two 2TB hard drives, a new motherboard and a water cooler for my i7 920 processor so I can over clock it to 5GHz :)

I decided to patiently wait for the iMac refreshes and then decide whether I want a new one or a current model.

I'm so glad I decided to wait. Honestly it feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

17. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I almost just bought a cinema display but decided against it, same with the iMac I'll be sure to get the ssd's and everything off the bat. The iMac is easily a 5 year machine if configured well.

18. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

We won't be waiting forever, as iMac history has taught us.

Yea, Apple won't release an iMac update in a few more years. :rolleyes:

19. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Honestly, the latest it will probably be is May. People who bought a 2011 iMac continue to give more reasons why a 2012 model shouldn't be purchased and why it's not worth it.

We shall see...

20. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I am waiting hoping the next revision will fix the dirt under the screen issue. If this dust slash dirt can show up as soon as four or five months then I'm willing to wait and see if they fix it. Can't hurt anyway.

21. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

wait it out mate. Not long to go. If the prices go up which they probably won't then you can get a refurb for very cheap.

22. NextGenApple macrumors regular

Very cheap????? Or cheaper than standard price, Juat because Apple release a new product they just don't render the previous version rubbish, you might see a £100-300 on price reduction depending on model. By you saying very cheap you talking like you can get it for £500 after new iMacs are released. Never. Hope this helps.

23. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

I think I speak for everyone when I say how much we appreciate you going to the trouble of starting another new thread on this.

24. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

You joke, but it actually happens with each new release. Some feature is eliminated. Since I bought my first Intel iMac 5+ years ago we lost:

1. 20" model went from IPS to TN.
    2. Antiglare displays
    3. Sleep light
    4. Remote control
    5. Ability to generate composite video out
    6. A firewire port (there were two)
    7. Software - Front Row, Omni Outliner, Comic Life, Big Bang Board Games, iWeb, iDVD.
    8. Install DVD.
    9. "Full Size" wireless keyboard. You have to get the wired keyboard to have the numeric keypad. We also lost the Mighty Mouse, but good riddance to that!

25. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

In all honesty, the 2011 model is a damn fine machine. For me (and probably for others), the desire to own the latest (and not one that will be yesterday's news before I seemingly get it out of the box) outweighs my need to replace my current one right this second.