Went to Staples played with Win 8 and saw Mac section.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Frisco, May 12, 2014.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

First of all Windows 8 is horrible--I can't figure anything out. It was my first time using it.

The Mac section was small--a few keyboards and little software.

In the tablet section all the Samsung tablets were on. None of the iPads were on :confused:

It reminded me when CompUSA used to hide the Mac section and not keep it in proper upkeep.

Not impressed with the Samsung tablets. Maybe I just need more time, but Windows 8--how long does it take to get used to? I love Windows 7.

2. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Windows 8 is very very very very easy to use, its kinda stupid how easy it is.

The Mac section is small in a staples Because staples doesn't sell Macs, the markup on Staples selling Macs is very low, and the volume sold is so low that it doesn't make sense for Staples to offer Macs.

The fact that the Ipads were not on, and Samsungs were doesn't mean anything, Staples is run by 19 year old kids, I bet they don't pay any attention.

Well back in the CompUSA prime days, Macs were crap.

3. Svend macrumors member

Download classic shell for windows, set it to boot directly to desktop mode, and you have windows 7 again.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've used it off and on since it first came out and I'm still not used to it. It's a dog. The next update is supposed to restore the Start menu, which should help a bit but there will still likely be many things in the "wrong" places.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I agree with you completely; I cannot abide Windows 8 myself - and find it utterly incomprehensible; in fact, as a consequence, I avoid my office computer as much as possible, using my MBA for work instead.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've started playing with it more and more and like it. 8.1 definitely adds more to it. I think the metro interface is fine - on a phone/tablet. I think it was a mistake to make it for desktops and non touchscreen computers. Something MS is now correcting.

7. karlth macrumors regular

Classic Shell saved my life!

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I always thought having a single OS for both desktop computers and tablets was a mistake. For example, I'd never want iOS on my desktop, but it's good for tablets. I think keyboard and mouse is superior over touch screens for desktops and laptops. Apple has the right idea. I really dislike Live Tiles.

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Windows 8 is quite easy once you get used to it. Its a dual OS for tablets and PCs. If you're using a tablet, pin Metro apps to the Start Screen and you'll never have to see the desktop. If you're using a desktop, pin desktop apps to the Start Screen and you'll never have to see the Metro side of things.

Super simple really. Unfortunately, Microsoft does a poor job of explaining this and the fact that Windows 8 installs don't have an option for Desktop/Tablet installs and just dumps all of the Metro apps in front of you regardless of what device you're using doesn't help one bit.

Have another play about with it, remembering what I said. You'll find out that Windows 8 is actually infinitely better than 7. Faster, more stable, far superior driver detection and a full screen Start Menu at last.