Western Digital 1 TB hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Macpropro80, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

I want buy 3 new hard drives for my mac pro. I want them to be internal because for some reason my external drives make imovie unstable and besides that they are kind of crappy. I was thinking of buying three Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black drives.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

Are these any good? anyone have any experience with these? Any suggestions?

One last thing.
    No I don't want an external hard drive.

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Great drives! Do a search around here... there are tons of threads discussing these drives in RAID and otherwise. :)

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Unless you need high speed the 2TB greens are also great drives. They are as big as they get and combine quietness with great energy savings. I have a 2 TB and a 1TB green.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

These are good drives. :) I even picked up 3 of them earlier this week. :D

Not the best for hardware RAID as is, but you can change the TLER values via a utility if needed. For software RAID, they'd be just fine. :D Assuming you're looking at using RAID at all. ;) :p

5. ASFx macrumors regular

I bought two of the 1TB WD blacks about a month ago and used SoftRAID to put them in a RAID 1 setup. They've been working flawlessly. Im glad I bought them.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

7. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

The specs and tests I read on-line say that the 2TB Green is as fast or faster than the 1TB Black. So it may be the case that you're not actually sacrificing any speed at all with the 2TB drives. The same may also be true of any drive that uses 500GB per-platter densities as that's where they're gaining their speed from. I got three Samsung 1.5 TB drives (for $97 a pop) recently which are labeled Green and they're pretty fast. They're 500GB per platter as well. Here's the benchmarks on the Samsungs: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=707152

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Independent testing of the 2TB Green I've seen produced 77.7MB/s, while the 1TB Blacks I picked up are pulling 88MB/s consistently.