Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Western Digital today announced the launch of its first portable SSD, bringing solid state storage to its popular "My Passport" lineup of storage devices.

The new My Passport SSD is Western Digital's fastest portable drive yet, offering transfer speeds of up to 515 MB/s. Designed for USB-C devices like the MacBook and MacBook Pro, it features a USB Type-C port and ships with both a USB-C to USB-C cable and a USB-A adapter.

mypassportssd2.jpg
"The WD brand is focused on delivering fresh, new personal storage devices that offer amazing performance in a beautiful, yet durable design," said Sven Rathjen, vice president of marketing, Client Solutions, Western Digital. "Our fastest portable drive yet, the My Passport SSD is a powerful solution for people who need to move content quickly and easily wherever life takes them."
The My Passport SSD, available in capacities ranging from 256GB to 1TB, is palm-sized and easily portable, plus it is 6.5-foot drop tested and able to withstand 1500G of force.

mypassportssd.jpg

Western Digital's My Passport SSD is available from Best Buy's website and will be available from select retailers starting this quarter. The 256GB model is priced at $99.99, the 512GB version is priced at $199.99, and the 1TB version is priced at $399.99.

Article Link: Western Digital Debuts First My Passport Portable SSD

Reactions: OddyOh and Morod

orbital~debris

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
How well would this perform on a Mac with USB 2.0? (Obviously not ideal, but hoping it would be some 'future-proof' storage expansion until I can afford to upgrade my mid-2010 iMac.)

Comment

KitchIV

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2017
I wonder if this will work with the iPad Pro with the lightning to USB adapter.

Comment

Wackery

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2015
Don't external drives for iDevices usually need an iOS app in order to access the hard drive? iOS usually hides file access.
well technically you can't hide the file system if one doesn't exist for the user

Comment

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Can you imagine if it had two USB-C ports so you could daisy chain and then RAID them??? Granted power would be the main issue I imagine, but still....

Comment

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
How well would this perform on a Mac with USB 2.0? (Obviously not ideal, but hoping it would be some 'future-proof' storage expansion until I can afford to upgrade my mid-2010 iMac.)

Absolute best case scenario is 60MBps since that's the upper limit USB 2.0 can push. That's not atrocious but it's also not guaranteed. If it were just a matter of wanting faster transfer speeds it would probably be okay but a legacy FireWire 800 drive might be able to pull better for cheaper. If it's a matter of booting from the SSD, no chance.

Comment

neliason

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
surprisingly cheap. just don't understand the point of a portable SSD vs. just getting a cheap portable hd.

I would use it to store the virtual machine images I run. This would help their performance. I can see myself buying one soon just for this. You could also boot off of it but I think that would be a more rare use.

Comment

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I know I find making Tome Machine backups of my 1TB drive excruciatingly slow, using my 1TB external 5400 HDD. However, I'm still dubious as to whether this drive would make a significant dent in transfer speed, as the transfer rate is ultimately decided by the bus speed.

I've been weighing whether or. It to get an external SSD for my external Thunderbolt drive case, and have been held back due to the fact that Thunderbolt far exceeds the internal bus speed. I'd like to see some real world tests of the transfer speeds.

Than there's the problem with SSDs eventually breaking down after so many writes. As a backup disk, that would likely add up to a lot more changes to the disk over a shorter amount of time. I would also think video editing would have this same premature aging effect. But for archival storing, or a media drive, it seems ideal in that it would be much faster retrieval and copying, which is important for the user sitting there waiting on the drive to perform the job. At least with a backup I can walk away.

surprisingly cheap. just don't understand the point of a portable SSD vs. just getting a cheap portable hd.

I think speed maybe? I haven't used a portable spinning disk drive in a few years, so I don't know how far they've come.

Probably the same reasons for any SSD over spinning rust .... Speed, reliability, physical size etc etc

Comment

MrGimper

macrumors 604
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
About 3 years ago I put an SSD in a LaCie rugged Thunderbolt enclosure and ran it on Thunderbolt 1. I got speeds of about 350MB/s. Put the same drive in a UASP USB3 enclosure and got about 450MB/s.

Spinning disk in each enclosure was around 65MB/s if I recall.

Comment

windywalks

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2004
Yeah, and I just bought a butt ugly orange WD Passport 1TB.
Sure, it's a completely different animal, but the Samsung T3 didn't share this new drive's attractive price.
Oh well, the Easter Bunny might come in handy to justify this expense.

Comment

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I have an SSD as an external drive on my MacBook Air. I use it for my VM and video editing. The speed and portability is second to none.

Comment

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

Hahah I have a mid-2010 iMac too and am looking into upgrading all my tech eventually and getting a TB3 iMac and SSD external.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.