Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
I got 3 WD elements i'm wiping to re-use again...... however two of these always turn out ok.... But i keeping going though the 3rd drive needing to replace it time and time again...

I'm either thinking of

1. Switch to another manufacture or
2. Work out why only 1 of the 3 of drives keeps reporting I/O errors and the failing

After hooking the troubled drive to Mac mini, terminal reported i/o errors when trying to erase. However attaching it to the Macbook reveals no problem.... however after the first successful wipe,, its suddenly slowing down.... So why wouldn't the Macbook pro report I/O error while Mac Mini did ?

Any Ideas?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
How old are they? I have no answers, but I'll say that WD is my go to drive manufacturer, I use them on both my Mac and PC and have no issues with them.

Superspeed500

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2013
I have a WD external disk and I have never had any problems with it. WD is my go to drive manufacturer too :)

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
How old are they? I have no answers, but I'll say that WD is my go to drive manufacturer, I use them on both my Mac and PC and have no issues with them.

about 6 months.

I'm think i'll probably just end up replacing the drive. The troubled drive is taking really long time erase anyway... more than usual..

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Western Digital drives are usually warranted for three years. I just received one back from WD that was a replacement for one that failed after 2.5 years. The OP should give WD a call and see if he can RMA the defective drive.

Reactions: Donfor39

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Another vote on the WD front. With the exception of the SSDs in my Macs (since WD doesn't make them), the only non-SSD I have is the spinning drive in my Mini as it was the factory-installed drive. Oh, and the external I made out of the original drive from my MBP. I have a 4-drive enclosure filled with WD drives plus a MyPassport and two MyBook drives. When I buy bare drives, I buy the WD Black drives.

I see the "Elements" drives as a lower-end unit, while the Passport drives are higher end, as evidenced by the warranty period (1 year on the Elements drives, 3 years on the Passport Ultra drives).

Reactions: Donfor39

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Another vote on the WD front. With the exception of the SSDs in my Macs (since WD doesn't make them), the only non-SSD I have is the spinning drive in my Mini as it was the factory-installed drive. Oh, and the external I made out of the original drive from my MBP. I have a 4-drive enclosure filled with WD drives plus a MyPassport and two MyBook drives. When I buy bare drives, I buy the WD Black drives.

I see the "Elements" drives as a lower-end unit, while the Passport drives are higher end, as evidenced by the warranty period (1 year on the Elements drives, 3 years on the Passport Ultra drives).

Another vote my wd 500gb external hdd has never let me down.

Combined with ap extreme, I cannot justify upgrading to ap tc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.