Western Digital HD Replacement Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fergusyarrow, Apr 29, 2009.

1. fergusyarrow macrumors newbie

Hi,

Have a late 2007 15" MBP. Replaced original 120GB 5400rpm HD tonight for a 320GB 7200rpm HD (Western Digital Scorpio Black WD Scorpio Black 320 GB SATA Hard Drives ( WD3200BJKT ))

I put the new HD in an external enclosure, connected to it via USB and then cloned my old HD to the new HD, using Superduper and made it bootable. Booted from new HD on USB to make sure it worked ok and it did. Swapped out HD as per ifixit guide. Reconnected everything and started MBP.

Everything works fine, but now it takes maybe 20s to get to the apple logo and the spinning wheel, where as before with the old HD it was a matter of seconds. Once I get to the login screen though, everything is much quicker than before, it just seems that it takes this HD longer to get going. Has anyone else experienced this with this particular HD before and if so, perhaps have some suggestions about a possible fix?

Thanks,

Fergus

2. taphil macrumors regular

I have had this happen to me. I set the startup disk in Sys Prefs to the new drive, reset the PRAM, and reset the SMC. I think it was the first that solved the problem, but in any case doing all 3 worked.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Setting the Startup Disk will probably do it. If it's not set to anything in particular, the system needs to scan for a bootable volume.

4. fergusyarrow thread starter macrumors newbie

5. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

This happened to me. I did everything suggested above except set the startup disk. Maybe that was the problem? Lol

Anyway, what I ended up doing was a clean install. Now my MBP boots really fast.

Do you find this hard drive to be too loud? When I was upgrading hard drives in my MBP I initially went with this same drive, but regretted getting it because it was so loud. So I just returned it and ended up getting the much quiter 5400rpm version.