Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Western Digital today launched a new USB 3.2 Gen 2 My Passport SSD under its WD brand, with the new device equipped with NVMe technology that supports read speeds of up to 1050MB/s and write speeds of up to 1000MB/s.

mypassport1.jpg

The new My Passport SSD is available in capacities up to 2TB, and like most SSDs, it's small enough to fit in the palm of a hand. It features a metal casing with rounded corners and waved ridges, and it comes in gray, blue, red, and gold.

mypassport2.jpg

The My Passport SSD's casing offers shock and vibration resistance, and it is drop resistant up to 6.5 feet. It ships with a USB-C cable and a USB-A adapter, and works with both Mac and PC out of the box.

According to Western Digital, the new My Passport SSD can transfer content twice as fast as the previous version of the drive, and it features password-enabled 256-bit AES hardware encryption.

mypassport3.jpg

The My Passport SSD can be purchased from select retailers like Amazon and Best Buy starting today. The 500GB model is priced at $120, while the 1TB model is priced at $190. Other capacities will be available later in the year.

Article Link: Western Digital Launches New NVMe 'My Passport SSD' With Transfer Speeds Up to 1050MB/s

Last edited:
Reactions: hagjohn

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
If I'm paying that kind of money I want thunderbolt 3 speeds. Picked up a 2TB OWC thunderbolt 3 drive for $418. I fusioned it with my internal 512gb ssd on my iMac and now I'm flying. 2700 MB/s Read, 2100 MB/s Write. Boot, account switching, apps are all much, much faster. Love me some T3!

addictive

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
This looks good but we are months away from USB4 coming onto the market With Intel’s TigerLake. Surely some peripherals are going to launch soon with USB4 transfer speeds which will make USB3.2 look second class.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Is WD still a good buy for storage? I remember seeing a chart a few years ago with disk failure rates and they were up there, along with seagate which had the highest rate of failure.
All of my USB-powered external drives have been WD for a few years now. I have 1TB, 2TB and one 4TB external HDD and no issues with any of them. Two are used with laptops and one is used with an Xbone.

Every single Maxtor I’ve bought has given me troubles so that’s the one brand I currently avoid like the plague.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Honestly, that pricing is really good and cheaper even than the mobile SSD G-Drives.

WD have had a long time to release these, so I can imagine the fit and finish will be spot on (the casing specs are encouraging).

The transfer speeds are more than adequate too.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
If I'm paying that kind of money I want thunderbolt 3 speeds. Picked up a 2TB OWC thunderbolt 3 drive for $418. I fusioned it with my internal 512gb ssd on my iMac and now I'm flying. 2700 MB/s Read, 2100 MB/s Write. Boot, account switching, apps are all much, much faster. Love me some T3!

how did you do this? I have a 512gb iMac and am looking for good external storage options. Thanks

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Honestly, that pricing is really good and cheaper even than the mobile SSD G-Drives.

WD have had a long time to release these, so I can imagine the fit and finish will be spot on (the casing specs are encouraging).

The transfer speeds are more than adequate too.
That pricing really isn't that good. You can walk into Best Buy and pick up a Samsung T7 500GB SSD for $80. The 1TB model for $170.

The case specs are standard for this type of drive. Not really sure why the skipped USB 3.1 with the MP Go, but this offering is kinda late to the game and not very competitively priced imo

Reactions: addictive

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Is it OK to cover your hard drive in a brown paper bag when you're using in in public, or will it run too hot?

"We want something youthful that says this product is FAST and FUN!" said the committee of 60 year-olds.
"Fine, here" said the designer and threw up in his mouth.

I mean... those are hideous beyond measure. Been using WD for 15+ years as my go-to for storage. Never considered the possibility of having to look into other brands because WD would suddenly get too ugly to look at, but the latest gen MyBook designs with the diagonal lines look like puke, and now they ruined the portables with... what are those even... wings?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
While SSD is cool, I still need large storage space for my iTunes library etc. WD for me is ok and I do not see tons of disk failure. Maybe I’m lucky.
[automerge]1597929993[/automerge]
Is it OK to cover your hard drive in a brown paper bag when you're using in in public, or will it run too hot?
It should be ok considering SSD heating up is much more difficult to happen than spinning hard drive.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009

What an awesome solution! am I correct in assuming that this was done mostly to make it look like one disk, and not to take advantage of the caching features of Fusion? (Since the disks will be about the same speed?)

I have almost the same setup, a 2 TB USB C drive using with my iMac internal SSD. The only reason I won’t Fusion them after reading this (great) idea is because I swap the 2TB between the iMac and a MacBook Pro to edit video on the go. But I have to struggle with symlinking Home directories (Download, Movies, and Pictures).

How cool would it be if the iMac just had a slot where you can slot in an SSD...

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Consideingr low speed SSD has been selling at $90 to $120 / TB for quite some time, $190 for 1TB external SSD isn't too appealing.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
Is WD still a good buy for storage? I remember seeing a chart a few years ago with disk failure rates and they were up there, along with seagate which had the highest rate of failure.
I had one of their HDD’s a long time ago and it indeed crashed with all my info on it. It was a mechanical failure too, so I had to kiss my files goodbye. I think their failure rates were actually higher than Seagate. However, now it’s all SSD and can’t be really directly compared to the HDD technology.

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
No thanks, just finished buying the new T7 (Non touch) SSD by Samsung, if you’re gonna arrive this late to the small form factor SSD game and provide nothing the others aren’t already doing then why both. I’ll stick
With my Sandisk Pro & Samsung T7 for my iPad Pro

I just purchased the same device for my iPad Pro. It’s pretty fast and spot on. I had a T5, but this T7 is really quick!

Reactions: SantaFeNM and InGen

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle
Fusion-drive'ing an external + internal sounds dangerous.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
No thanks, just finished buying the new T7 (Non touch) SSD by Samsung, if you’re gonna arrive this late to the small form factor SSD game and provide nothing the others aren’t already doing then why both. I’ll stick
With my Sandisk Pro & Samsung T7 for my iPad Pro

I’m going to say I actually like my T7t better on my iPad Pro than I do on my 16”MBP. Not that the drive speed is faster, but importing and managing RAW files is definitely more efficient using your fingers to move them around versus a mouse or trackpad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.