Western Digital Passport Drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Fooj, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Fooj macrumors member

Hello,

I am thinking of buying a Western Digital Passport drive, possibly 160Gb one, and I read somewhere, that it will not run off just the one USB port on a Mac, its needs both, which is pretty annoying considering my Macbook Pro only has two USB ports.

Has anyone got one of these drives? and can perhaps shed some more light on the situation?

Cheers

2. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Runs off two USB ports? I don't think so.

A friend of mine had one, and i only remember it having one USB cord; and maybe a power cord. But i do remember him having issues with his drive, he had to get it replaced three times.

I would go to Amazon.com search for the same drive, and read the reviews; see what people say about it first. Or maybe you've already done this?

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I have a WD Passport 320GB. It runs off one USB-port perfectly fine. You also don't need an extra power cord.
    I am really happy with it and recomment it to anyone :)

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

We have the 160GB Passport - it runs fine off a single USB port on MBA, or off MBP (also, off ACD hub).

5. HazChem macrumors regular

HazChem

To cap it off, I have the 250gb and it runs fine on one connection on my MBP.

6. gothamm macrumors 6502a

the two USB ports is for the older laptops which can't supply such power to the HD. Your macbook pro will be fine running on one USB port.