Western Digital Passport Portable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vadim.iablokov, Jun 13, 2007.

1. vadim.iablokov macrumors newbie

Has anyone bought one of these sexy back-up drives (WD)? I've read some reviews that it won't work with macbook because it can't draw enough power from the usb port and that it doesn't have it's own DC connector. Can anyone confirm this. I've been hunting for external drives, and this option seems better than building your own. And then when leopard comes out I'll be time travelling like a pro!

2. island macrumors 6502

island

Works fine. I have one right now and it works with my MB, MBP, and the Airport Extreme N.

3. TWLreal macrumors 6502

It doesn't work on PowerBooks but works fine with all kinds of MacBooks.

People with older notebooks can use a Y-cable to hook it up. More of a hassle but at least it'll work that way.

4. noway macrumors regular

noway

I second that. I'm in the same situation and everything work fast and without problem! Go ahead and buy one. They look great, are fast and reliable (have mine for 2½ months now.

5. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Works fine on my wife's MB.

6. Nick012 macrumors regular

I have one, they're awesome! look awesome. It was a small factor in my choice of black for my macbook (so it would match).

7. TWLreal macrumors 6502

As soon as the 250 GB version is available, I'm getting one to make a swap.

I have the 120 GB version right now, which is IDE and not SATA.

8. Xquizit macrumors member

I have brand new SR MBP with the 160gb Passport and I made sure it works on the left and right USB ports.

The issue with not drawing enough power from the USB is only a problem with older laptops. If you bought your computer after the year 2000, (most likely) you'll be just fine.

9. operator macrumors regular

I can also vouch for these external hd's. I've been using one for over 6 months with no problems, and it only uses one USB port on my MacBook, and on my older iBook. I definately recommend it.

10. TWLreal macrumors 6502

The PowerBook G4 was introduced in 2001 and can't power it from one USB port. ;-)

11. Xquizit macrumors member

I was almost not gonna add the (most likely) part..

Good thing I did lol

Let's change the year to 2003?

12. TWLreal macrumors 6502

Hrm, so it works on iBooks and not PowerBooks?

Every review and forum post I've seen said it didn't work on PowerBooks, that I know. But I didn't think it'd work on iBooks either.

13. showtime macrumors 6502

Works perfectly with mine. Best portable hard drive out there.

14. Race Johnson macrumors member

Ive got one aswell... Costco has the 160 GBs for 109.99! smoking deal I think:cool:

15. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

WD Passport Drive.. in Canada...

Got one here a few months back... $120. Can / 120GB. now 160GB same price at Costco... Works great and absolutely Trouble Free!!

16. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

Bought the 120gb version a few months ago, swapped it for my Macbooks existing 80gb drive and put it in the Passport enclosure. The drive made some odd noises about a month ago, put it back in the enclosure and took it back to Costco. Now have the 160gb, and it makes the same odd noise (clunk ever few minutes, sounds like head parking but I'm using it at the time). Likely just a characteristic of that drive. Still a good way to get a relatively cheap drive replacement, and have an external drive to boot.
    :p

17. operator macrumors regular

Yes, I can confirm it works fine on the iBooks - it only needs one usb port. Bear in mind, my iBook was the latest generation iBook (12" 1.33Ghz)

18. nymaw macrumors newbie

Powerbook problem

I have a PowerBook G4 that I purchased in 2005, and the 250GB WD Passport isn't recognized at all when I connect it to my computer (I'm running version 10.5). Is there anything that can be done about this? I've already purchased it and I can't return it, so I'm in a tight spot and would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    nymaw

19. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I have the 120GB WD Passport and it works really well with my MacBook. I plan on purchasing another one on Black Friday.

20. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I have a black 120 gb Passport running on my MacBook and it runs perfect. Off USB power, 1 port and no issues at all. Actually ran a lot better than I thought it was going to be from everything I read online about them.

21. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

If the thing doesn't work then the store should be required to take it back.

22. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

I had the same problem with an internal drive I just bought. My MBP wouldn't recognize it, but my G5 did and allowed me to reformat it from (probably) NTFS to Mac. I'm guessing that some macs just can't even recognize the default formatting shipped with the drive. Try mounting it in another mac and formatting it there or try mounting with a Windows box and formatting to something that macs recognize, like FAT32. Then hook it to your Mac and repartition however you like. I doubt there is anything actually wrong with your drive.

23. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I bought a black 120 GB Passport for $69 about 5 months ago. :rolleyes:

It was original formatted to FAT32 and it still is. It works just fine off of any USB port that I've tried.

No the Dell with dead USB ports doesn't count. :p

24. bntz313 macrumors 6502

I just bought an 60gb passport from newegg on friday. Can't wait to get it, it only cost 59.99. I just wanted a small portable hard drive hope it works fine.

25. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Does anyone know where I can order this drive online with international shipping?