Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winovin

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2007
Does the 160GB Passport have an 8MB or 2MB cache? Does it have SATA or ATA interface? How easy is it to open the case?

Thanks

mojohojo

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2006
i find that the hd takes a bit for it to load once you connect it (compared to a few other external hds). also the cable it a little bit short, quite a hassle when you connect it to usb in external monitors.

pjrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Just bought a 160GB, can't seem to find anything to say whether it's SATA or ATA. All I can say is it's 5400 RPM.

The cable is short, but is fine for laptop users. The cable is quite generic (here it is), so if you're like me you'll have at least another 2.

As for taking the HD out of the case, I can't see any screws. It seems like one solid block. When you see it you won't want to ruin it and take it out of the case!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Has anyone bought one of these sexy back-up drives (WD)? I've read some reviews that it won't work with macbook because it can't draw enough power from the usb port and that it doesn't have it's own DC connector. Can anyone confirm this. I've been hunting for external drives, and this option seems better than building your own. And then when leopard comes out I'll be time travelling like a pro!

If your laptop computer doesn't have enough power, there are special USB cables for that purpose that split into two connectors. So you can plug both into your computer and get twice the power. On the other hand, a MacBook should be fine; older Apple laptops provide less power.

Just a note: It's not Apple's fault. A powered USB hub, including one in a laptop, has to provide 500 mA at 5V, that is 2.5 Watt, to be standard conforming. The old PowerBooks are conforming to the USB standard, but that isn't enough if the hard drive needs more than 2.5 Watt. Using one of these double USB cables, any hard drive up to 5 Watt is guaranteed to work.

bntz313

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2007
i just bought an 60gb one and so far it is running great I would go for this one or the 80gb.

lindmar

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2003
I just bought the 160 at BestBuy.

Opened to find its SATA, now cloning my macbook and will make the swap.

Beautiful.

Opening this thing was intense.

filmgirl

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Seattle, WA
My pseudo-boyfriend has one. He uses it with his T61 Thinkpad, but I've used it on my MacBook too - very sexy. If I hadn't essentially built the same thing myself with a WD 120 GB drive and a Coolmax firewire/usb2 case, I would get one.

orangetrumpeter

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2007
Urbana, IL
I have worked with a 120 and 250GB..... the 120GB is great, while the 250GB is a little too slow for me both on startup and transfer of data. These drives are great though (and now available in COLORS at BestBuy, and online).

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
120GB version and it works with my Powerbook g4 1ghz. Well, it does now...

When I first connected it I was running off battery and the drive just clicked would would not mount. I hooked up the Powerbook to it's external power supply and the drive mounted. Since then, whether the notebook is powered or unpowered, the Passport just works.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
My Western Digital passport portable external HD that I got from Costco back in early August from Costco (this deal here in case anyone's interested) just died it seems. My problems are the same as this gentleman's post:

Hi, i recently bought a western digital passport HD (the small black shiny ones) for my macbook pro. It was working fine one night then the next morning it wouldn't work!! It says:

'The disc you inserted was not readable by this computer'

Also in disc utility its says the disc is 2TB which would be pretty for a portable exernal

Any ideas?
Cheers,
Sam

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do? I'm pretty sure my warranty would cover this but I was hoping to recover the data if possible. It's not vital but it'd be nice and save me some headache.

I was wondering if perhaps the enclosure went bad and I could take the inside HD out and put it in a computer or something to get the data out.

a4abt

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Miami
I have 3 of those and they all work great!

I always wait for Best Buy to put them on sale and I grab one when needed.

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
It doesn't work on PowerBooks but works fine with all kinds of MacBooks.

People with older notebooks can use a Y-cable to hook it up. More of a hassle but at least it'll work that way.

Emm it works with both my MacBook and my PowerBook (read signature)

To the OP: It is a speedy HDD and the coolest thing is that only one cable is needed for the whole thing to work :D I love mine, I have the 250GB version since the 320 one was out of stock. I backed up (with Time Machine) 63GB of data in like 15 minutes :eek: Amazing little HDD and I added an Apple sticker (the small one from the shuffle) to the top of the case and it looks amazing:cool: Hope this helped

-Victor

atthecross

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
I bought one just to take the drive out to put into my white MB.

I took the wd portable 250gb out and put it in my MB and then took the 80gb from my MB and put it into my wd portable.

works fine, and yes, it is only 2mb cache, but I have not noticed any difference at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.