What a deal!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Minhthien, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Minhthien macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just found an ad on cl for a bnib mbp 15 2.2 for 1750! I email and bargain it down to 1500 and accepted too! Now I am worry about warranty because i kinda figure out this person must use fake credit card to purchase this!

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

If it is too good to be true, it usually is. You have to wonder why someone is willing to lose so much money on a unit that if BNIB they could have returned for a refund....G/L.

3. Minhthien thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I know! She said she need to paid for a car loan and need $ ASAP! Was waiting for the fresh MBA but I might go and see this deal! Too bad no hi-res or anti-glare on it! :)

4. marc11 macrumors 68000

If you go, bring people with you, go to a public place, like a coffee shop and use caution. People have been robbed at gun point over these great deals.

5. Minhthien thread starter macrumors 6502

Of-course! Always Starbucks! Funny thing is she told me to come to her house ASAP and it's midnight right now! Lol

6. GGJstudios, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you read the MR Guides and search the forums you'll find quite a few threads on this issue and plenty of information and warnings about buying and/or selling on Craigslist.

Even Craigslist warns you about scams: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those searching for the same answers, if you follow this tip.

7. Minhthien thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the links! But I have many many good deals on cl both sell and buy! Still crossing my fingers though!

8. ROGERWILCO357 macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

hmm

She ? I wouldn't take A grand to A house that someone will greet you before you get to the house with A gun to relieve you of your funds or worst . at night is a big red flag..be careful

9. gabrielita macrumors newbie

Take this from somebody who has sold/bought on craigslist and who was just "burned" with pirate online software:
    1,500 is quite an investment and even if the seller is desperate for money and sounds reliable, I'd rather save more and buy it from an authorized store.
    My 2 cents.

10. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

Theyre out there and worth investigating...probably stolen but a buddy of mine just bought a nib never been opened base 15" for 1400 of of Craiglist here in phoenix.

Just be careful daytime at a very public place... and demand to start it up before you pay...

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

this sounds like a horrible, horrible, horrible idea. is it under warranty AND have you confirmed that with an Apple store by taking it in? she might have 3 years of apple care, but she spilled a drink on it and you are out of luck, or she opened it up and screwed around in there. there are so many things that can go wrong, especially with a deal that sounds too good to be true.

good luck. but, if it were me i'd buy a refurbished one and sleep peacefully at night knowing that i have a trustworthy computer...

12. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

It could also be stolen, meet at a bank and sign it over, otherwise you can get arrested for possession of stolen property.

I'd avoid that at all costs

13. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

How'd you get "burned" with pirated software?

14. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

:eek: after all the signs of a scam how did you go on with this??

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

16. Dark Void, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2011

Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

this probably isn't real. i'd keep your $. if it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is.

17. palpatine macrumors 68040

long story in another thread. i think it basically boils down to him not trusting his instincts even when he knew something was fishy. i think in the end he at least ended up with a working computer, so not all bad.

18. cmackenzie89 macrumors newbie

I'd suggest if you can, bring at least 2 friends with you, give one the money and have them sit on the other side of the coffee shop or even have them outside in a different store, that way if they do try and rob you, you will only lose what you have on you and not what is one you + $1500. then when the deal is done and you have seen the product and verified that it works, you can call or text your friend and have them bring you the money.

Another thing is to make some sort of contract even a basic I (_______________________) am buying a Macbook Pro 15" (serial # _________________________) from (______________________) for $1500.00 (no tax) on (date)

then you both sign

that way, if she then runs to the cops and says that you stole the laptop from here, you have something to prove you bought it.

and finally make sure you turn the computer on, and once you have verified that it is the product and it works. DO NOT LET HER TAKE IT BACK! and if she does, treat it like a gun, re check to make sure it's the same product.

here is a scam some people like to use. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMOpa95JHQ4

19. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

And make sure that it actually is what it says it is. Check the warranty with the serial number and if you are really being picky, you can check the serial number also matches the one printed on the RAM socket (although she may be unhappy about you opening up a brand new MBP to check ;))

20. truciet macrumors 6502

always check warranty. once confirmed, register the laptop on the spot. if she's registered, she can go to supportprofile.apple.com and unregister it. after that, you can register it and you're set.

i would also try to get a copy of the receipt if possible.

21. Minhthien thread starter macrumors 6502

i couldn't go last night because it was too late even though she drop another 300! I called her after work and she told me she sold it for 1800! :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

22. Minhthien thread starter macrumors 6502

i guess it wasn't meant for me! I sold my MBP 2.26 4gb on CL yesterday for 900! I actually got so many people interested but I sold to the first one who contacted me, and yes we did meet at Starbucks. I guess I can wait for the refresh MBA and see how it is or maybe the new MBP at the end of this year!

23. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

The MacBook pro refresh won't happen until Q1 of 2012, it wouldn't make sense to update in Q4 '11, then again a few months later.

24. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

25. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Don't fret, you're better off not buying stolen/scammed goods in the long run.