What a disappointment..

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Rory Manton, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Rory Manton macrumors regular

Rory Manton

.. so far.

I got a new iphone yesterday and ,currently, I am less than impressed with it. On my old phone , a Samsung B2100, I could bluetooth phots and music from my imac across to the phone, Iphone won't connect via bluetooth.

On the Samsung I could send a track over via bluetooth and set it as a ringtone. I used different ringtones for different people. Very simple to do ,impossible to do on iphone without buggering about in itunes.

Where is the manual for the thing? Am I supposed to know how to delete messages on the thing or even how to make a call ( 3 minutes it took to find THAT little snippet of info out)

The phone shows itself in iphoto but I cant drag and drop into the phone.

Now I know that I am not the brightest when it comes to such things but I expected a little more "idiot" proof phone. I also suspect that all the things I have mentioned ( I have googled and looked here) have a nice 3 page tutorial somewhere to tell you how to do things that actually bares no relation to what the computer or the phone want to do.

Frustrating to say the least.

Never mind I can always go back to cups and string ( perhaps I should!):D

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You're disappointed in the iPhone because it's different than your old phone? Not sure you can really fault Apple for that.

3. cecoleman macrumors regular

Well then did you know how to do all the Bluetooth transfers on your old phone right out the box without a little hunting around? The iphone is easy friend, try checking out a droid sometime if you want to experience confusion. The phone call thing that confused you? Try the phone app, works great. Pictures and music all sync with your iTunes and iPhoto If you know how those programs already, well then you know how to use the Iphone. Or perhaps you aren't even as bright ae you thought you were when there are YouTube videos of three year olds navigating an iPhone.

4. Rory Manton thread starter macrumors regular

Rory Manton

Ok some valid points made.But why won't drag and drop work on iphoto? I can pair the phone with the mac but the phone won't connect to the mac because

"The device does not have the necessary services"

Now, and forgive me if I am wrong, I was under the assumption that bluetooth is bluetooth is bluetooth. It turns out that I can connect everything else I have bluetooth to my APPLE imac except my APPLE iphone.

IF I had a manual I could look such things up and see if there is a problem and how to circumnavigate it.

No manual, no can do.

Still, at least the thing still works even after the amount of abuse I have chucked at it:D

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Well I agree that you should have researched a little more before you bought the phone, but I am generically confused on how my first phone with bluetooth (circa 2004) was able to pretty much do anything with the stack, and now, it seems like most devices limit the capability. Why is this?

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Drag and drop does work within iPhoto. I assume you mean that you want to drag a picture from iPhoto to the iPhone. This does not work because Apple wants you (forces you) to go through iTunes.

The manual wouldn't tell you how to drag a photo from iPhoto onto your iPhone because this cannot be done.

7. Rory Manton thread starter macrumors regular

Rory Manton

I am one of those sad people who read manuals before I play with things. My old phone was my first phone with bluetooth and i set it up and it worked with no problem.

As for researching the phone before hand my assumption was , APPLE Imac, APPLE Iphone = NO problems. It seamed to offer all that my old phone did with the ease of being compatible with my mac, some funky apps and looked good.

2 Out of 3 ain't bad though:rolleyes:

8. guywoodman7 macrumors member

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

10. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

There are third party apps that allow drag and drop. I don't use iPhoto but I do use a viewer--ViewIt. It recognizes the iPhone when it is connected and allows dragging photos to it--and to your computer. Not the solution you probably want--but as has been said, Apple wants you to use iTunes--so of course they won't allow it for their own program, iPhoto--so just get something else if it is that important to you.

11. Rory Manton thread starter macrumors regular

Rory Manton

Thank you for your info, I am basically a Luddite with high sights:D

I am sure I will get the hag of it soon, if not what is the value of a verbally abused 16gig iPhone?:rolleyes:

12. zeppo2 macrumors member

I do think it's funny that on one hand the whole marketing gist of Apple is that you just pick up devices and they work intuitively for the user in contrast to the supposition that you have to be a technogeek and dig into manuals to use a PC. Yet when you raise a complaint that hinges on that very argument, the simple ability to drag and drop, or send files from one device to the other, you get these weird defensive reactions from these people that for some bizarre reason feel like if you criticize Apple, it's as if you criticized their friend or relative--like it's some how important to them emotionally that Apple have no faults or not be in any way worse than a PC. And that is in no way helpful to anyone. (and don't get me started on the whole "big brother" commercial that started it all, since it ultimately turns out the whole master-controlling-lemmings thing applies to Apple instead of the PC.)

You had a non-Apple device and it "just worked." Now you try to do things intuitively with you're new Apple and it doesn't "just work" even though it could if the "master" didn't force you to use Itunes to make it happen. Go figure.

13. Rory Manton thread starter macrumors regular

Rory Manton

Well, I have had this iphone for 5 days now and well, still a bit iffy about it. Still miffed that I still can't bluetooth from iphone to mac and vice versa, still miffed that it has no easy way of setting music tracks as ringtones ( I have done so now but it is a very long winded way of doing it, still haven't figured out how to personalise message tones!) Hence still a bit iffy. Phone groups have now been set up using an app but that is something that I feel should have been on the phone already.

I have noticed that there is a drop in reception in my work place compared to my old phone but that bug has been reported and I am looking int ways round it.

On the upside the camera takes good phots.

So far 4.5/5 out of 10. iPhone must try harder .

14. iTak3n macrumors newbie

Just to help you out so your not stumbling the the manual for days trying to find how set personalized message tones, you can't. Unless you jailbreak that is.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're the only one I heard asking for a manual to use an iPhone...

16. Injector macrumors newbie

The iPhone 4 excels in build quality, surfing and general multimedia. The camera is very good for a smartphone too but the bluetooth is a joke and so too are the ringtones/text alerts. Every phone on the market allows you to choose your own text alert yet the iPhone gives two or three very crappy options...and that's it. Not being able to send files or photos by bluetooth is lousy too.

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This is a case of buying something and not having done any research. The OP will not be happy with an iPhone, IMO, just based on some of his questions and responses.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, he should go back to the samsung:D

19. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Actually thats a perfectly acceptable request. Do you know all the features of the iPhone? Do you know every trick? I highly doubt it. There's even a topic on this site dedicated to such tips that would have been found in a manual. And yeah, I can see where the OP is coming from. The iPhone 4 is by far my favourite phone but I can easily understand how someone who just swapped over would be confused as to why certain features aren't available. The iPhone OS is good but at the same time it misses out on a few things that matter to some users. I can live without these (the bluetooth issue is pretty annoying) but the OS isn't perfect and when such questions as "How do I send a file via bluetooth" pop up, asking for the manual is fine.

20. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

Thread #1,000,000,567 complaining about the iPhone and all of it's shortcomings, here's a crazy idea... return it. Or don't complain about your buyer's remorse and live with it. It's an absolutely amazing phone, and it's camera capabilities alone blow any other phone on the market out of the water, and a lot of dedicated digital cameras at that.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It is acceptable but this is more a rant than asking for assistance like mentioned above. Research before u purchase instead or crying after. The iPhone is not for everyone, just return it and move on that's all.

22. Rory Manton thread starter macrumors regular

Rory Manton

Who ranted?

I was pointing out that the iPhone does not have as standard features that my previous phone did.

Blue tooth is bluetooth is bluetooth, well no it's not as I have found. Why is this?

Why can't I set up caller groups?

Why can't I set up individual ring tones or message tones?

Why can't I drag and drop phots into the phone even when it shows up in iPhoto?

These are all things I could have spent less time trying to figure out IF a manual was part of the box.

I am not ranting, I am pointing out things that I feel Apple have cocked up on the phone. Some people on here act like I have crucified a child by pointing out and daring to post things that I ( ME) find wrong about the all conquering ,mighty iphone. It is a phone, a tool ( true a cool tool but still a tool) and in my opinion so far I have found it a retrograde step from my old tool.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    That IMO is a rant but whatever you want to call it.
    If you have researched a little before you bought it and possibly tied yourself into a 2 year contract you could have notice those features are not included.
    There is no manual in the box any more since the first iphone was out cause firmware gets updated several times per year so getting the latest one online is alot easier.
    To some is no big deal to others it is. Its not the perfect phone for everyone but you can return it within 30 days for a full refund.

24. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

You can set up individual RING tones. On any contact that has a phone number, on the info page, at the bottom of the list of phone number(s) will be the "ringtone" field - you don't even have to hit edit to change it.

There are several apps that can help with the caller groups thing - your mileage will vary with how useful each one is.

As for the manual - on your iPhone, go to Safari - click on the bookmark icon and in the list is the "iPhone Users Guide".

25. Rory Manton thread starter macrumors regular

Rory Manton

Trust me I ain't ranting, you should read what I say about nissan F!!!!!G micra drivers.

You keep going on about research. Don't you think that the things I have listed should have been standard? I ( mistakenly as it turns out) thought that the super dooper iPhone would have all the functional uses that a two year old samsung would have. I looked at the issues I knew about and decided that the small connectivity risk that some people had pointed out AND the fact that apple had come up with a bodge to sort it and decided that this was the phone for me.

Now there are no real problems with the phone except for the lack of features I took for granted on my old phone are not standard on this one. Some I have managed to circumnavigate by getting apps some I have yet to get round but I will.

What is beginning to bug me is the attitude that some people here have regarding me pointing out things which in my opinion apple have cocked up on and them taking it as a sort of blasphemy agains apple!