iPad mini What A Joke

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Spungoflex, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Spungoflex, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012

Spungoflex macrumors regular

So I tried 3 different stores in Toronto and none had even received their shipments of the ipad mini yet. [edit: I was not referring to the Apple Store]. So they all opened up 2 hours early for no reason at all. :rolleyes:

Thankfully, I didn't wait in line. I asked 1 store manager and he told me that people did wait in line (for how long, I don't know) only to be told they haven't received them yet.

For those curious, I don't think there is much demand at all for this product. All 3 stores were virtually empty at 8:30 am, except for employees. I did see one guy buying a full-sized ipad though.

2. profets macrumors 68040

Yup...

I dropped by the apple store in burlington just before 8:30 to see how it was. Planning on picking one up as a gift.

Line of about 10-15 people, and apple employee with a coffee + donut cart. No minis available, just iPad 4th gen which no one seemed to care about.

Sounds like they sold out very quickly - can't say for sure but I overheard another apple employee saying there was about 50 people who got an iPad mini before they were all gone.

Pretty sad if true. In the past at every Apple store during launch I've seen - iPhone 4, 4S, iPad 2, iPad 3rd gen, Apple stores seemed to have a few thousand for launch day.

3. Spungoflex thread starter macrumors regular

This is truly comical. Best Buy, Future Shop, and Staples have none and even the Apple Store only has 50 in total? What a total farce.

God only know how many people woke up early and waited in line for nothing.

These stores should have received ample supply SEVERAL days ago. Why did they even bother to open early? Just so they could try to upsell to the larger models?

4. monaarts macrumors 65816

I stopped by a best buy while I was on my way to a work conference this morning. The guy told me that there are about 10 Best Buys in the city area and all but one of them received one of each black model - the one store also receive an extra 64gb. NONE of them received a single white model!

----------

I really think mosy people are starting to understand it is smarter and easier to just preorder online.

5. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Glad I ordered online but thought about picking one up for the wife called Walmart and they haven't received any either.

6. profets macrumors 68040

Brutal. Based on so many shipping estimates of mid-late november it sounds like thats when they'll have plenty of stock available. I guess they really wanted to get a launch in as early as possible for the holidays, even if stock was super low.

7. Spungoflex thread starter macrumors regular

It sounds like apple really did a bang up job this morning. Now THIS is something Tim Cook should apologize for. Has any other company bungled a product launch so badly before?

The mini is not ready for prime time. Should have been released next month when they had enough supply.

----------

Well, it's certainly a great way to piss off customers, that's for sure. Thanks, Tim.

8. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

The Best Buy is Williston Vermont had about 300 they said this morning. I was able to drive over at 8:30am and grab one with no issue (and maybe 4 other people in the store getting one at the same time).

9. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Toronto Applestore... walked in at 9AM, plenty of stock, picked one up with no line up.

10. profets macrumors 68040

That's how I thought it would have been. Eaton Center?

11. sam3020 macrumors 6502a

sam3020

The apple store in leicester in the uk had a few hundred. They had atleast 100 sitting on the counter out the front.

12. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I noticed yesterday that Best Buy didn't have the iPad mini in their flyer, and the iPad 4 was buried on page 8.

13. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

I went to Apple.com last friday at 2 A.M and they had em in stock. Now waiting in line at my front door :cool:

14. Noisemaker Guest

In your town. Not world-wide. This isn't like the launch was totally flawed. It's strictly your town that received limited stock.

Though I'm sure Tim Cook planned this just to ruin your day. I mean, if I were CEO of the most valuable company on the planet I'd spend my time the same way. Plotting against you, and you alone.

:rolleyes:

15. Spungoflex thread starter macrumors regular

Read the thread. Several people from several cities are reporting the same thing.

If I were Tim Cook, I'd spend more time worrying about leading a company that is increasingly unable to get things right.

Maps
    iTunes
    The mini launch

Everything is either delayed or bungled lately. Not good.

16. profets macrumors 68040

That's the best way to do it, except outside of the US the white model never had a launch day delivery. I ordered when the store went live and got nov 21 delivery date.

17. goldstarqc macrumors member

Not just his Town! Here, no Apple store, both Best Buy and Future Shop did not had any mini.

18. Spungoflex thread starter macrumors regular

We've also had reports from DC and North Carolina stores that had zero white ipad minis.

19. raptorstv macrumors 6502

I'm in Vancouver and danggg... Do all bestbuy stores not have it yet?

20. noteple macrumors 65816

My father walked to school 4 o'clock every morning with no shoes on, uphill, both ways, in 5 feet of snow and he was thankful.

21. scupking macrumors 6502a

Went to best buy at 9 thinking they would have a bunch but they sold out of all of the minis.

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

Perhaps you missed the changes he made earlier this week to Apple's executive line-up, including the removal of the person responsible for Maps.

23. franktho macrumors newbie

Cincinnati Western Hills Best Buy had all configurations (as of 9:00am) in black, but only a couple 16gb white.

They also had a black mini behind the service desk counter that you could use, play with.

No line.

24. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Plenty of iPads in Atlanta, and no line as of 8:15.

Then again, the lines for the iPads have always been less and moved more quickly than the iPhones due to not having to sign a contract at purchase.

25. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

FWP. I will gladly trade someone a stay in their nice warm home, with wifi, power, and hot water, for the use of my iPad 3 while they wait for their precious iPad Mini.

Day 4 in the dark, lower Manhattan, NYC.

-mcdj