What about a Dictionary App?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by umdjb, Jul 10, 2007.

1. umdjb macrumors regular

I was thinking that maybe Apple could add a dictionary app like that they have on OS X. I mean it would be pretty simple, and could be very useful.

What do you think?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That's a good idea, and I'm sure we'll see one eventually (probably very similar to the OS X widget).

In the meantime, you can text Google SMS.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Not an exact replacement, but Google does an automatic spell check on search. If you want a definition, just use "define: <word>" in Safari's Google search feature. It'll give you a list of definitions found on the web. Since it's mostly text, it should be reasonable over EDGE, too.

Knew about using the keywords in search, but this might be handy, too. Thanks.

4. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Seems like an iPhone interface for something like dictionary.com would be good.

This is a case where a web app would probably work as well as anything else.

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

any widget made for mac os x would make for a great iphone app. i mean, that's all dictionary looks like to me, just with a different skin. add dictionary, translation, unit converter, flight tracker and all the third party widgets, and you'd have yourself quite the library of iphone "apps."