What about an alert light?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Jun 3, 2009.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68040

i know lots of people me included were hoping to have some sort of blinking light to tell us about missed calls or texts, cause the phone sucks when you aren't in the room and have a missed call. u gotta always keep checking it!

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It would be nice, but I don't think Apple will ever do it, unless of course it was tied in with a front facing camera light.

Like this:

[​IMG]

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hell no, no Christmass lights on my phone.

4. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Perhaps this glowing Apple logo that has been rumored would serve as a notification indicator. However I have my doubts about Apple ever implementing any sort of status LED and even greater doubts about a glowing Apple logo.

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If the iPhone did get a front facing camera, the light would be there to signal that the camera is in use, just like the iSights on the Macs. It would be a bad idea to have the same light used for the camera, to be used for alerts such as new email, new sms, etc.

I do like the idea of an alert light, but it would have to be something completely separate.

6. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

That's the best mockup I've seen thus far. Is that new? I'd be very happy if the new one turned out looking similar to that.

7. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

I agree. I've always thought it'd be cool (for if a notification light was added) to put a small white light like the one that is used on the MacBooks/Pros to show that it is sleeping. But in this case it'd pulse if you have a new message.

[​IMG]

8. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Yes, a notifier LED would be an awesome addition. It could be unobtrusively added around the earphone, or underneath the home button, or even hidden under the black border (like the sensors). Give us controls over how/when it goes off, and everyone is happy.

9. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I think the idea would be nice. As far as separate, they could just make it green for the camera being on and perhaps red for new msgs and blue for bluetooth being on. That would be nice.

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well the camera light would only be on when the camera is in use. The alert light could only be used when the phone is just in stand by.

11. skythefly13 macrumors 6502

WOWWW That mockup looks amazing. Everything I would want from the next iPhone is right there. Hopefully this is what it will look like!

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Uh...yeah...why am I just now seeing the best mockup I've ever seen burried in this little thread about LED lights?

Did that thing have its own thread and I just missed it?

Wow.

13. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

14. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

That mockup, is breathtaking.

15. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Apple would never do something clunky like that. It would be a horrible and inconsistent implementation of notifications. Much better to leave it off then have something that only works as it should sometimes.

Notifications is one of the biggest weaknesses of the iPhone, IMO, and I really hope Apple brings some kind of system to the next iPhone. The few days I had a Blackberry I was blown away by it's notification and message systems. So pragmatic and unobtrusive.

And I agree about that mockup- the best I've seen yet and a pretty convincing one as well.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its a good mockup but I really doubt they could fit everything in there.
    The pic looks like the phone is a half inch thick.

17. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

An alert light would be nice. Both by the speaker and the top of the device would be nice.

18. kisbys macrumors regular

Half inch is pretty big for a phone!!

19. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I agree. Perhaps if there were two lights, one for video conferencing (green) and one for notifications (white -- but classy white :cool:).

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The current iphone is actually less than half inch so you're right :D
    But the pic looks way smaller and flatter than the current model.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I too would like to see some sort of notification light on the iPhone.

22. bjquach macrumors 6502

How about make the alert light on the home button where that white square is?

23. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

24. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

Ohh, that's a pretty good idea. The only thing I'm starting to think of with this alert light is that case manufacturers are going to have to take it into account... there will be a lot of designs that aren't going to be able to just be "updated" to fit the new phone.

25. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

And to think that I went looking for software to turn off the blinking lights on my old Treo! To each his own!

It would be nice to have the option, although I thought all iPhone owners never put their phones down and liked to push the button constantly to see if they have messages! ;)