What about the M7 (M8)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RiddlaBronc, Jul 4, 2014.

1. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

What do you guys think Apple will to to the M7?
    Right now there are not too many apps that take advantage if it. Since ios 8 is bringing a lot of health related stuff is it safe to assume the new M8 (if they even call it that) will have more features added to it?
    What do you guys would like to see from the m8?

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I know it's meant to be a motion coprocessor, but I'd love to see it expanded as a low-power chip that listens for always-on 'Hey Siri' on iOS 8. Would be really useful.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is it even being used by anyone. I've not heard anything about it since apple unveiled it?

4. kingalexthe1st macrumors 6502

kingalexthe1st

+1. If it could be used for a few features like the Moto X has I think that would be pretty great.

5. I7guy macrumors G5

Features, such as what?

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Pretty much every major fitness app (hiking, running, swimming) and tracking apps (sleep tracking/alarms) use the M7.

I'm pretty sure in order to get any motion data (gyroscope, accelerometer, etc) you have to use the M7 given how the OS is written. So that means almost any movement based game is using it as well.

7. kingalexthe1st macrumors 6502

kingalexthe1st

Like just moving the phone slightly and it lights up the notifications. This doesn't sound like much, but when I roll over in bed to the nightstand and pick up my phone it gives me only what I need. Pushing a button and having the whole screen light up seems a bit 2012 :) Even though that's just an example, I realise this is very much a 1st world problem.

Alex

8. I7guy macrumors G5

Do any other phones do this, "without tweaking"? I mean the whole notion of having the phone not "Vulcan mind meld" seems so 1900s.

9. cynics macrumors G4

Moto X with active notifications for the most part. Much more intelligent notification system then iOS has.

10. kerrikins macrumors 65816

My sleep cycle app uses it to track steps and also how much I move during the night, which is pretty cool. :)

11. I7guy macrumors G5

Is like a software rather than the hardware limitation surprising as no jailbreak tweak for this.

12. cynics macrumors G4

I'm kind of surprised about that. I know there are knock offs for Android.

Hardware limitation would be the OLED display on the Moto X. It can be more power friendly as it's only activating what you can see for a notification, the rest of the screen is technically off.

13. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

My god people are that lazy?

14. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Calibration would be nice. Otherwise I really am enjoying the stats I get from it. I just wish there were more apps like Breeze that don't require a signup.

15. cynics macrumors G4

Why wouldn't someone if the tech existed? Do you use a TV remote because you are lazy or because the tech exist and it's more convenient?

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It may have greater use with the health features coming in iOS 8. Maybe a build in pedometer.

17. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I get called lazy because I get up and use the buttons on the AT&T DVR instead of looking for the remote to punch in numbers. :rolleyes: I call that having patience.

I think it's cool that the Moto can do that though. I think I'd forget it could do that and freak out though. :p

I'm pretty sure someone can make a tweak to do such a thing though. I mean, they have a tweak to turn the display off when you put the phone face down.

18. batting1000 macrumors 604

You can download an app such as Breeze which uses the M7 chip to count steps.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

A pedometer is already built in, that's what an accelerometer does, combined with the gyroscope input you can get pretty accurate sensing.

20. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A built in pedometer app included with the health app.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Oh gotcha, I'd imagine it'll be there.

22. lovewd macrumors 6502

lovewd

Lol at first I thought you were talking about the HTC One M7 and I was confused. But they'll find some good use for it over time. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the chips in the iPhone 6 the same- especially the m7 chip. Cause how powerful does a phone really need to be?

23. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Same here! :D

24. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Not the same thing, getting up out of your couch or bed to change the tv is more of an inconvenience than pressing a button on your phone. To say pressing a button on your phone is an inconvenience is just lazy.

25. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I think nike used it for one app. That's called a feature in high demand. :D