What about the M7 (M8)?

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
What do you guys think Apple will to to the M7?
Right now there are not too many apps that take advantage if it. Since ios 8 is bringing a lot of health related stuff is it safe to assume the new M8 (if they even call it that) will have more features added to it?
What do you guys would like to see from the m8?

cambookpro

Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I know it's meant to be a motion coprocessor, but I'd love to see it expanded as a low-power chip that listens for always-on 'Hey Siri' on iOS 8. Would be really useful.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Is it even being used by anyone. I've not heard anything about it since apple unveiled it?

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
I know it's meant to be a motion coprocessor, but I'd love to see it expanded as a low-power chip that listens for always-on 'Hey Siri' on iOS 8. Would be really useful.
+1. If it could be used for a few features like the Moto X has I think that would be pretty great.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Is it even being used by anyone. I've not heard anything about it since apple unveiled it?
Pretty much every major fitness app (hiking, running, swimming) and tracking apps (sleep tracking/alarms) use the M7.

I'm pretty sure in order to get any motion data (gyroscope, accelerometer, etc) you have to use the M7 given how the OS is written. So that means almost any movement based game is using it as well.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
Features, such as what?
Like just moving the phone slightly and it lights up the notifications. This doesn't sound like much, but when I roll over in bed to the nightstand and pick up my phone it gives me only what I need. Pushing a button and having the whole screen light up seems a bit 2012 :) Even though that's just an example, I realise this is very much a 1st world problem.

Alex

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Like just moving the phone slightly and it lights up the notifications. This doesn't sound like much, but when I roll over in bed to the nightstand and pick up my phone it gives me only what I need. Pushing a button and having the whole screen light up seems a bit 2012 :) Even though that's just an example, I realise this is very much a 1st world problem.

Alex
Do any other phones do this, "without tweaking"? I mean the whole notion of having the phone not "Vulcan mind meld" seems so 1900s.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Do any other phones do this, "without tweaking"? I mean the whole notion of having the phone not "Vulcan mind meld" seems so 1900s.

Moto X with active notifications for the most part. Much more intelligent notification system then iOS has.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Is like a software rather than the hardware limitation surprising as no jailbreak tweak for this.

I'm kind of surprised about that. I know there are knock offs for Android.

Hardware limitation would be the OLED display on the Moto X. It can be more power friendly as it's only activating what you can see for a notification, the rest of the screen is technically off.

EM2013

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2013

Alex
My god people are that lazy?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It may have greater use with the health features coming in iOS 8. Maybe a build in pedometer.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Why wouldn't someone if the tech existed? Do you use a TV remote because you are lazy or because the tech exist and it's more convenient?
I get called lazy because I get up and use the buttons on the AT&T DVR instead of looking for the remote to punch in numbers. :rolleyes: I call that having patience.

I think it's cool that the Moto can do that though. I think I'd forget it could do that and freak out though. :p

I'm pretty sure someone can make a tweak to do such a thing though. I mean, they have a tweak to turn the display off when you put the phone face down.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It may have greater use with the health features coming in iOS 8. Maybe a build in pedometer.
A pedometer is already built in, that's what an accelerometer does, combined with the gyroscope input you can get pretty accurate sensing.

lovewd

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2013
Lol at first I thought you were talking about the HTC One M7 and I was confused. But they'll find some good use for it over time. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the chips in the iPhone 6 the same- especially the m7 chip. Cause how powerful does a phone really need to be?

EM2013

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2013
Why wouldn't someone if the tech existed? Do you use a TV remote because you are lazy or because the tech exist and it's more convenient?
Not the same thing, getting up out of your couch or bed to change the tv is more of an inconvenience than pressing a button on your phone. To say pressing a button on your phone is an inconvenience is just lazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.