What age to get an iphone 3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xradicaljetx, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Xradicaljetx macrumors newbie

What age should i get an iphone 3g the new one, because its almost Christmas and im 14 years old and im in the 9th grade and i have no cell phone with me but i really want the iphone. Also i want it because i have no way to contact my parents or my friends, and i always have to ask one of my friends if i can use there phone to call my parents and ask permission to go somewhere. Also because i can use my brothers cell phone but he is about to graduate in june somthing and he i already in the 12th grade. So is it the right time to get a cell phone, in my case the iphone 3g. So please respond back because i know how to use an iphone because one of my friends has one and i have an ipod touch 2g that i got from my birthday. RESPOND BACK PLEAAAASE!!!! :(

2. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Working at AT&T I've seen kids as young as 5 and 6 years old get the iPhone.

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i see no reason why you should get one. Not to sound really mean, but you can do just fine with any other phone if all your using it is for calling people and besides you just got a touch.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if you already have an iPod Touch just get a reasonably priced phone. the iPhone is pretty much just your Touch with a phone added, GPS and volume buttons.

some people might argue the fact that youre too young. whatever the case, you still have a Touch.

5. randomusername macrumors 6502

I'm 14 as well and have an iPhone. I say only get an iPhone is you will use most of its main features (like Safari, iPod, Mail, Apps Store, Maps, etc.). If you're only using a phone for calling and texting, then there are much better phones that the iPhone. But I don't really get what you're asking. If you're going with AT&T, there are better phones for you if the iPhone's feature set it too much. Like their butt-ugly new QWERTY phones, the RAZR2, or the Shine (actually, don't get that phone. It's crap). Don't get the iPhone because it's fun to play around with and fun to show off. Get the iPhone to actually use it. Though if you're carrying around a cell phone and iPod Touch, it may make sense to get an iPhone. I got tired of carrying both around. That was a big reason I got mine.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Nobody needs a cell phone. I think it's fine for children of any age to get an iPhone as long as their parents are okay with it. That being said... if he just got a touch you really don't need an iPhone, but maybe I'm just being hypocritical. I can't figure out if I need a 32GB iPod touch or an iPod classic to compliment my iPhone.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It's like giving a 16 year old a Corvette. Start out with a cheaper phone that won't cause problems.

By problems i mean:
    1) $30 Internet Data plan a month, and you're going to want to text to, so that is $50 in all, not including voice you will have to pay a month.
    2) iPhones are worth a lot. Kids see you with an iPhone and don't like you, they might target you and steal it.
    3) Once you lose / break the iPhone, that's it. You can't buy a new iPhone at the same price, you have to pay big bucks.

Take my advice, get a sidekick, rumor, or some other cheap phone that is still cool.

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Sure the crappy sidekicks are cheap, but no self respecting kid who knows anything about phones will want anything less than an LX, and those are the same price as an iPhone.

(If I could have I would have gotten the LX over the iPhone just for the sex appeal)

9. ericxd macrumors regular

dont listen to johnspohn and tuffluffjimmy

heres my thought-
    if your parents got the money and are willing to spend it
    i dont see why not..they make the rules
    i dont even know why you made this thread and ask ithis, we're not the ones buying iyou an iPhone
    youre a kid you have alot of **** you want and alot you probably not gonna get
    i knnoooww youuu wannnt ittt, so just ask your parents...

10. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I think you should be allowed to have an iPhone but only when you are able to buy it yourself. It will mean allot more to you and you will take care of it much better.

I got mine when I was barely 18 and I bought it with my own money. I had cell phones before then too and I bought them myself.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Why shouldn't he listen to me? Why is your opinion more important than mine? And anyway I said I think it's fine for him to get an iPhone as long as his parents are on board, the rest was just my mindless rambling.

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I dunno, but apparently his opinion is not important.

14. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

im 16 heck i got the first one when i was 15 i will say this are you just one of those kids that just like to flash things around and not use it to the full potential and not tech savy. Really me and my friend just see people with iphones and have no clue what they see on our iphones. THey will constantly ask us how did you get that and what not since ours was jailbroken and there's werent. Buy i dont care its your parents money and if there on board great :) then enjoy the device, its a toy just with a phone so why not. I sold my iphone for a blackberry for its features and flexibility its just really choice and features it all depends on the user in my case. Listen to yourself on what you want but whatever you do, do not come back saying that this phone does not have all the basic features of a basic phone :rolleyes:

15. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Get it

If you want it, get it. If you are gonna put most of it's main features to use, then that's even better.

16. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

17. Xander787 macrumors newbie

I'm 13, got the first iPhone shortly after it came out. Now I got the 3G the day it came out. I see no problem with getting it. And on top of that, its the most kick-ass phone out there bar none.

18. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Get an iPhone when you are off of mommy and daddy's account.

19. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Do you pay the bill?

We just got ours, and ours is $169

20. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

its just like any other things parents get for their kids... ps3, xbox, gokart, computer. sure they dont need it, but if u can afford it then y not?

and im sure thousands of people buy it because its flashy and cool, but in the end i think everyone uses the hell outta their iphone, its just too easy!!

21. mr-macintosh macrumors member

this is kind of ridiculous in my opinion, i received my iphone when i was 18 and i am still learning about all its features. if you already jave an itouch be happy, you dont need the iphone. i WISH i had an itouch at 14

22. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Those really don't have a monthly fee to a certain extent.

I say keep the touch and be happy. Save the money and get a cool car when you're 16 or something big down the road.

23. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

yea and i wish i had a cell phone when i was 14 but all i got was a lame pager, times change. if he has a touch then he knows all the features, there will be virtually no learning curve for him.

to OP, get the iphone and give the touch to your parents for getting u the iphone! :apple:

24. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

yea to a certain extent, but usually with the price of a game system then they buy a $50 or $60 game every month it evens out.

25. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

it's up to your parents to spend $100 at the least a month for a teenagers cellphone, I think you only talk and unlimited text for $60 a month with an LG shine or one without internet and get an iPod touch 32gb , that way you get the iPhone experience without the big monthly price I say when you have a job you should get it but that's going by how I was raised but if you can handle the responsibility then I guess it's okay but as long as you help your parents out with chores and stuff.