What airline(s) do you usually fly (and do you like them?)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMacZealot, Mar 23, 2008.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I live in Denver, so unfortunately, I often fly United, which is perhaps the most uncomfortable airline. I also fly Frontier a lot, which is much better (leather seats, PTVs). When going to Europe, I usually fly British Airways or Lufthansa since they have direct flights from Denver. When I went to Asia two years ago, I mostly flew Singapore Airlines, which is hands down the best airline. I also flew EVA which wasn't bad.

I'm planning another trip to Asia in May, and I don't know what to fly. I can either fly Economy on SQ's new 777's, or I can use my United miles to upgrade to Business on United. Hmmm.....

2. ucsdmac macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

I don't fly much but my girlfriend who lives in san jose and go to school in san diego fly back and forth frequently. She uses Southwest cause they're cheap and they give her a free round trip flight after every 2 or 3 flights i believe. So its a good deal for her.

3. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

can't you use the miles to upgrade to business on SIA? (but then iirc SIA's 777 is a two-class flight, meaning that it requires first class mileage tickets to fly on biz... not 100% sure though).

anyways, i usually fly UA, AA, CX, SQ and LH. have tried QF and MH also and they were not bad. my favs are definitely CX and SQ. SIA's flight attendants seem kinda fake at times, but their sarong kebayas make up for it.

4. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Since I'm enroled in United's Mileage Plus, I must use their rules, and they let you use 15,000 miles to upgrade to the next class of service....except Singapore, and only Singapore.

But I thought SQ's year-old 777-300ER's (the same type they fly from SFO > ICN, the route I'm looking at) were three class. If there are only two classes, however, then I can use less miles to get a free business class ticket.

5. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

yeah, one of the reasons i don't like SIA. they get real stingy when it comes to upgrade.

hmmm... not sure about the SFO-ICN flight. but iirc i was told that the LAX-TPE 777 is a two-class service flight, and it requires a first class mileage ticket to fly on biz. but then it could have been the LAX-SIN A380... not sure. i ended up on their 747 LAX-NRT-SIN flight since i'd never been to japan.

in any case, i'll ask a SIA rep instead of talking to UA. UA has the tendency to mess things up (especially when it involves SIA).

6. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

You can perform upgrades between them and every other airline of the Star Alliance except UA....:confused:

I checked on SeatGuru and their 777-300ER's are three class cabins. You are correct about the 777-200's servicing between LAX and TPE.

Singapore hasn't flown their A380 to LAX yet, however.

Just with SIA? :p I may do this trip through a travel agent because I'm doing nine sectors :)eek:), and it seems way too complicated to book online. Plus, my LAX > SIN flight was cancelled the last time, and my travel agent had enough leverage to get the reimbursement.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Best flight: Japan Airlines. They even served plum wine! :)

Most frequent: Southwest, sometimes American. No preference.

8. Mo Tiggas macrumors member

Live in Oregon. Alaska Air is cheap and direct.

9. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

I like Jet Blue. I pretty much use them for flying down to Disneyland.

~Crawn

10. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

huh? :confused:

i forgot the aircraft model, but it's an airbus and it flies LAX-SIN directly.

oh if you do end up on SIA's biz, don't forget to check out their book-the-cock service. pretty awesome food when compared to UA and others.

11. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

You can use United mileage to upgrade from Economy to Business or Business to First on any Star Alliance airline except on SQ.

Oh, right, the A340. I flew that flight last time, and it was a long flight! It was a two class cabin with business and "executive economy", which is what I had. EE entailed more comfortable seats, a 10" TV with a VOD service, an electrical outlet, and access to a lounge. It was a pretty good deal, but they've converted their A340's to an all business layout, and the economy on the 777-300ERs and A380s are basically what was Executive Economy on the A340, but without the lounge.

I'm making every effort possible to not fly United across the Pacific, but UA Business may not be bad. I'm still looking into it.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

13. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

really? my impression was that as long as it's a non-mileage-award, full-fare ticket, you could use UA miles to upgrade to the next higher class on any star carriers. i said SIA is pretty stingy b/c they wouldn't allow a mileage upgrade on the spot even if they had plenty of seats. :mad: (i'm too broke/cheap to pay for an upgrade. :D)

14. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

That's what the Star Alliance site said, but I am thoroughly confused as well, so I'm going to travel back to the time before Expedia and call my travel agent to do it all. I don't want to book nine flights separately and then fight on my own in case one of them gets cancelled.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

For me it was always TWA, then American. No specific reason really, it's just they've always had more nonstop flights out of STL so I end up booking with them.

Later this afternoon though, I'll be flying out of STL on Northwest Airlines, which I've never been on, so we'll see how that goes. And in a couple months, Southwest for the first time as well (which I'm actually a bit excited about since I hear they're good)

16. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I tend to always find myself on a KLM flight these days. The prices are reasonable and the service is always good. I think it's one of the few airlines in Europe where you can still get a drink on short haul trips...gotta have me G and T whilst cruising! :D

17. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

West Jet

usually

tvs on backs of seats
    cheap, reliable

18. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

#1 Continental - okay, still serve meals and have lots of flights. Bad, they are using more and more of the regional jets to go further distances. 2 1/2 hrs. on one of those makes my butt sore.

#2 Southwest - like taking the bus. Price have gotten a bit high as of late and $s are getting comparable to full service (whatever that means these days..) airlines.

19. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Delta. And no, cause its plain and lame but at least it gets me from point A to point B.

20. minicoop503 macrumors regular

I've only been on short flights (BWI to New Orleans and Miami), and I've been on Southwest and American Airlines.

IMO, AA sucked. The pilot wasn't too good, and we had a pretty bad landing lol. The plane was really old too.

I like Southwest though. You get to pick your seat, the pilot was really good, and funny (lol), and it was just a better experience IMO.

21. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

75% of the time I fly Midwest Airlines. Unfortunately the only place they fly form DFW is Milwaukee, which for me is good most of the time since our usual travel is to Central Wisconsin, the times I don't fly back to CWA I'm stuck using American or United, or whoever happens to have the cheapest tickets.

Midswest is always comparable on price when it comes to the CWA ticket (has to have a puddle jumper leg) and has roomier seats, chocolate chip cookies and the added advantage of a layover in a relatively small airport which makes dragging the kids (and the associated travel gear) much easier and far less worrisome than trying to navigate somewhere like O'Hare or the Twin Cities with an infant and toddler and associated seats and diaper bags on top of our laptops and other carry-ons.

22. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

No to British Airways

Well, after what BA did to Concorde, i'll choose Virgin next time.

23. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

"Airplane" and "good food" typically don't go together in the same sentence ;)

What a coincidence, I have a layover at MSP tonight and ORD tomorrow. But I'll just be by myself and likely won't have a carry on besides my iPod (I was going to carry on my suitcase, until I remembered that no liquid BS) so it won't be bad. But since I do have a couple hours to kill at MSP, anyone know which bathroom is the one where Larry Craig was arrested? I wouldn't mind using a world famous bathroom :D