What am I doing wrong? (regarding ringtones)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snook911, Jan 27, 2008.

1. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Ok I trimmed down the files to about 30 seconds, changed the file extension to .m4r and draged it into ringtones. The ringtones show up but do not sync to the phone. Did I miss a step? :confused: Thanks in advance for replies.:)

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

They might be the wrong format - ringtones need to be AAC.

4. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

This might be stupid....but this worked for me. Assuming you're using Garageband: Are you sure your timer is on "Seconds" and not "measures"? Make sure you are actually on the seconds measurement.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I'm using Audacity, which is on seconds. I converts over and i change the format, and it goes in the ringtones tab. Then i sync it, but it says it can't be found. So i locate, try and sync it again and no errors pop up. I go and look on the phone and it isn't there.

6. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Let me be more specific about what I'm doing and maybe someone can tell me what i am doing wrong. I take a file thats already in my music scaled down to about 30 secs. Convert that file to AAC then delete the other file. Export that file to folder on my desktop and rename the file extension .m4r then drag and drop file into ringtones. File shows up but when i sync it it does not go onto phone. Any suggestions? Thanks.

7. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Probably stupid to ask, but did you make sure to go into the ringtones section on your iPhone in iTunes when it is connected and choose "Sync Ringtones?"

8. nickjaco macrumors newbie

If You Look At My Ringtone Thread It Should Lead Where You Want To Go However If You Want To Uplad Your Ringtones I Will Be Happy to Test Them For You
    (Upload The 30s Mp3 and The M4R)

9. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

I think I know the problem here...

Before you drag and drop the renamed file into ringtones, delete the file AAC file that you had exported. Otherwise, iTunes doesn't see the need to take the file back into your library with its new ringtone designation.

10. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

If I could make a recommendation... just do it in Garageband. It is drop dead easy. Just open a new project in GB, click the Media Browser and drag the song you want from your iTunes library to a GB track. Then click the loop button (first button to the left of the time counter at the bottom) and drag the yellow bar at the top of the screen to make your selection. Finally, go to Share and send the Ringtone to iTunes.

I don't even have an iPhone but I did this for kicks the other day and it was quick and easy.

Hope that helps!

11. bassjunkie macrumors newbie

I use this method, it is very easy and quick! Best option I reckon! :D

12. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It would help if I had a mac. I use windows so GarageBand does'nt help. I have iphoneringtonemaker and it works to get the ringtones on the phone but it does not put the ringtones into iTunes.

13. yescurvyswab macrumors member

Open your audio file in quicktime, do an export to ipod, changing the extension to .m4r, then open with itunes. They will show up in the ringtones section, and sync to iPhone.

14. 7084 macrumors member

Hmmm, does the garageband method work for any song in your library? And is this method just for unlocked phones?

I have a locked one.

15. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Any song, doesn't need to be unlocked.

16. jeniferkey macrumors member

My ringtones worked ok before 1.1.2. Since that and now with 1.1.3, I can have the ringtones in the iphone tab in iTunes (and the ringtones tab in itunes proper) and it will play fine in both. It acts like it syncs to my iphone, but then the ringtone isn't there (no custom ringtones are). If I watch my iphone as it syncs, there's a space, where it stops syncing, and then it starts to sync again. If I pull the plug at that point, the ringtones are on my iphone (and work fine).
    This is with both purchased-from-itunes ringtones, and custom made.
    I don't know why it works this way for me, but it's the only way I can guarantee that the ringtones are on my iphone.
    Usually I let it do a full sync, and then sync again, but watch and pull the plug at the end of the first part of the sync. It holds the assignments in contacts for the ringtones, even if they aren't synced the first time.

17. Rotatedline macrumors newbie

Maybe I'm blind, maybe I have an older version of Garageband (whatever came with PB G4), but I cannot find the media browser button...Can someone point it out in a screen shot or directions.

18. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Are you using iLife 08?

19. Rotatedline macrumors newbie

No, it costs 80 dollars right?

20. grey580 macrumors newbie

Ringtones

I wrote a tutorial for making ringtones after I had to go through the hassle of trying to figure out how to make them.

http://www.*******.com/2007/12/21/custom-ringtones-on-your-iphone-tutorial/

Basically you have to be aware of a few things when converting a music file to an iphone ringtone.
    1. the file needs to be encoded in aac
    2. it needs to have the .m4r extension
    3. song length should not exceed 30 seconds.

You are going to need to convert your song to a ringtone the following.
    1. a music file ie: mp3
    2. sound editing software that will save your song in .m4a format
    3. itunes

Do the following to make your ringtone.
    1. open the file in the editor.
    2. select slightly less than 30 seconds of music that you wish to use for your ringtone.
    3. copy that and paste it into a new sound file
    4. save that file in .m4a format
    5. drag that file into itunes. right click it and convert to AAC audio
    6. rename the file extension from .m4a to m4r
    7. double click the file to play and it should be in your ringtones folder in itunes
    8. Sync to your phone and enjoy.

hope this helps :)

21. dsgalit macrumors member

What you are doing is correct! The only thing left for you to do is go and click on the iphone icon on the left side, go into your ringtone section and you need to check sync all ringtones! without you doing, this it doesn't matter how many ringtones you make they will not sync to your iphone...:)