What am I missing with IOS7?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by vexorg, Oct 9, 2013.

1. vexorg macrumors 6502a

I've updated my iphone4s (and the other family phones and iPads), and I ant see any difference between it and IOS6. What am I missing?

Other than the icons and slight layout changes (for the worse), everything still functions as before. I preferred more of the IOS6 look, for example the mail had a very clear number of unread items in the summary, now it's much more subtle. Essentially I cant see any difference between the two IOS versions.

Some hate it, some love it, I dont see what's to love or hate so far.

2. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Notification centre and control panel are a big change IMHO.
    And the new task manager to switch/close apps is way better than the previous.

3. plainwhitetay macrumors regular

Control Center, smarter Siri, photos and camera apps, AirDrop, multitasking is smarter, fit more apps in folders, Notification Center redesign for better or worse, blacklisting numbers, off the top of my head. Dig around the iOS 7 pages on apple.com if you're interested any more.

4. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

OP, Go to landscape on safari. There is no status bar at the top. What time is it? Do you love it or hate it?

5. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

are you checking time every 5 minutes and surfing the net all day long?

6. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

You could just rotate to portrait to get a glance at the time.

7. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Okay you are being to logical for this board. LOL. When I and others state the obvious the reply is always that Apple ruined their workflow by changing these few little things and adding 1-2 more actions to accomplish what they did before in less. I am with you that tech advantages sometimes come with a price to the consumer. I agree that most of the big monumental changes are behind the scenes and never really perceived by the users

8. vexorg thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

Did 7.0.3 make the status bar come back in landscape mode?

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

http://www.apple.com/ios/

11. Tamagotchi macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

I used the beta for 2 months, now I'm back with iOS 6, and let me tell you - You miss nothing.

I barely used the control centre.

I didn't like notifications (with iOS 6 there were more notifications shown, now it's more spread out and I have to scroll up and down (sounds silly, but it annoys me)).

Siri... who the F uses Siri anyway?

All that white, it will blind you and get monotonous faster than the 5 years the previous design took.

The neon colors on the icons... Don't get me started with those hideous badly designed icons...

The fact that now you need to read everything on the screen because there aren't any buttons, its all text that you press to perform actions.

Skip iOS7, and wait for iOS8. Ive will probably have grown some decency in his mind and realised that he can't impose his horrendous ideas onto customers.

EDIT: If you do upgrade, you will get used to all that hideousness. I got used to it myself by then end of the beta, but I'm smart, and I knew iOS6 was better so I did the downgrade before it was too late.

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You do realize iOS 8 is going to be more similiar to iOS 7 then 6 right? That white you're complaining about is not going anywhere anytime soon.

13. Tamagotchi macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

Of course it will look like iOS7. However, maybe they tone down the white and add some more contrast so that we aren't all having to use glasses by the end of 2014...

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Borderless and white is a new trend. I don't see it going away anytime soon.

15. Tamagotchi macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

Sadly, it seems that they can't innovate anymore, so they go with trends. Just like fashion... 2-3 years of one style, 2-3 years of another... That's just the impression I've had for the last 4 months...

Edit: thanks for being cool btw. I'm in a bitchy mode and I expected lots of angry fans coming at me.

16. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Honestly, once you use iOS 7 it's hard to go back to iOS 6 because it looks so dated.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Still, dated doesn't mean bad, just that most of us are more used to it (and some might be tired of it, mostly because they used it so much over time, but not really because it's somehow bad or anything like that).

18. DarKeneD macrumors member

I just got the 5s and I actually miss closing all the processes by just tapping the x button repeatably as the apps shift to the left. Is there a faster way that I don't know about in iOS 7 because I find it slower to swipe up one by one. Sometimes the swipe doesn't even register and the screen just moves side to side.

19. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Sadly the 80s have returned in a horrid way: with iOS Fisher Price and the headbands I've been seeing people wearing lately .. straight out of 1980. What's next? Leg warmers again??!!

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can do it 2 or even 3 at a time (using 2 or 3 fingers at the same time basically), but other than that, not much else is available. Not as quick or simple as just rapidly tapping in the same place on the screen.

21. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

It just adds more features to what you already have (a simple OS). Not that it's completely different. Like they mentioned, has the same feel as iOS previously had, just revamped and with new features.

22. vexorg thread starter macrumors 6502a

As said, what can I do with it now that I couldn't do before?

I'm talking about function rather than style or shortcuts.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

Rapid pictures in camera.

Activation lock.

Do Not Disturb working when phone is unlocked.

Automatic updates.

AirDrop.

FaceTime Audio.

Flickr and Vimeo integration.

New system sounds.

Bilt in flashlight and level.

Traffic information for frequent locations in notification center.

Separate FaceTime app.

That's in addition to things like Control Center (which helps usability and productivity beyond simply offering shortcuts) as well as redesigned Safari (as well as some other apps) that is somewhat faster and easier to use.

And various other features that tons of iOS 7 articles discuss.

24. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

You can swipe two o three at a time...

25. DarKeneD macrumors member

I didn't know you could swipe more than one at a time, awesome thanks for the tip!