What am I really missing by not jail breaking?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mrskullfreak, Feb 25, 2012.

1. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

My 4s is stock besides the custom look what else am I missing by keeping it stock??
    thx

2. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

The ability to customize your phone to your heart's delight, among other things.

3. h00ligan macrumors 68030

4. mrskullfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

Will I have any issues at all with the phone if I JB it??
    thx

5. siorai macrumors 6502

Asking what you're missing by not jailbreaking is like asking what you're missing by not going outside. There's an insane amount of stuff you can do to your phone after jailbreaking. It's up to you to figure out what you might want. I would say start by looking through the Post your Jailbroken Home Screen (Part 4) and see what interests you.

6. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

No one can guarantee this 100%. Hell, the iphone already has issues if you ask me. No one should need to convince you to jailbreak. If you feel your iphone is fine how it is great. If you are interested in opening your eyes to a whole new world of applications/tweaks then jailbreak.

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I like you pondered for several days on the pro's and cons of doing this.

After using my stock iPhone 4 for 8 months i found it time to move on and open up my phone.

The only issue I've had is with winter board causing a very and i mean a very slight lag when opening up an app, although installing the barrel tweak has helped.

Ive not downloaded a multitude of tweaks yet and i tend to do my homework on everything i do download.

Im now enjoying my iPhone 4 how i want it to look.

The Noki HD theme is awesome from themeit.

if your not happy with the jb then simply restore it !!

8. coolhands macrumors regular

I went back to stock for about a day, after being jailbroken for about 3 weeks. Man...what a difference. I missed SBSettings, pandora skip hack, and lockinfo so much that I had to re-jailbreak. Its one of those things, iPhone is incredible until you jailbreak, then you can never go back to stock:D:D

9. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Keep in mind that a lot of the tweaks and apps will cost you some decent money. Bitsms, Lockinfo or Intelliscreen will set you back about $20. The better themes are about $3.00 each.

Here's one thing that you'll do a lot. You'll constantly be trying different things which means rather than using your phone you're going to be tweaking it, respringing then tweaking more then respringing. I sometimes regret jailbreaking.

Ive probably spent in the area of $50 on Cydia apps where I think $25 would have been fair and justified.

With all that said I haven't seen a performance hit of any kind. Maybe just a very slight lag going to the search screen and scrolling in settings.app.

10. tateu macrumors 6502

I've had my 4s reboot once and apps such as Safari sometimes crash while jailbroken. The other day I opened Google Voice, it popped up then instantly disappeared.

And I've also had my 4s reboot once and apps such as Safari sometimes crash while unjailbroken.

It seems to me that the app crashes have happened more often since I applied the Absinthe 4s jailbreak but that could just be because I am using my phone a lot more since I applied the jailbreak and also because I've been paying a lot more attention to the performance of the device to make sure I didn't install something that causes problems. I'm happily planning to stay jailbroken, though.

11. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

This made me chuckle :)

12. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Ive spoken to people who have spends hundreds on apps from the apple iTunes apps store too. $3 for some of these themes out there is peanuts ! Take Noki HD for an example or Black UPS ! These are awesome slick themes that someone on stock can only pass a glance at.

Re springing takes seconds to do and is no different from when you have to restart your mac/pc after an update. It just becomes second nature. I just like downloading something and adjusting its settings and then eagerly awaiting the respiring to see the full effects.

Id love to be a fly on the wall in apples labs just to see what they are putting onto their own jailbroken idevices, raising an eyebrow and thinking ' shall we add this tweak to our own store' !!

13. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

I jailbroke my 4S for the first time. Honestly, it's better than stock. I haven't noticed any type of lag. I do have to respring once in awhile after updating apps and whatnot. Remember, just make sure you know when you're downloading. Search the forums here and make sure it's OK to use. The apps you download are the ones that can slowdown your iPhone and cause issues.

14. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Here's the problem with almost all themes. They only have a few icons of the millions of available apps. Of course they'll have all the Apple apps but if you have a majority of apps that don't have customized icons you end up with a half assed theme.

There are a handful of themes that render every icon, inPulse and Obsdian come to mind, that I consider as the best themes available. But even with obsidian, as cool as it looks it gets boring after a while. I honestly never got bored of the stock iOS theme. I think most developers put a lot of thought time and effort into their icons and most of the time it shows.

My point about respringing is that it removes the "it just works" part of the iPhone. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy some of the tweaks I installed and there are some very useful ones out there but I'm not going to go nuts waiting for a new jailbreak for the next iPhone like some people will.

If 5.1 gives me the ability to remove pictures from photo stream I'm going to be hard pressed not to update unless there's a Cydia tweak for it that I haven't heard of yet.

To me jailbreaking doesn't make the iPhone better, it makes it different. And different doesn't always necessarily mean better. Jailbreaking can be cool and useful but to me personally it doesn't matter that much. I loved my iPhone as much as I do now before I jaibroke it and I wouldn't lose any sleep if I lose the ability to jailbreak tomorrow.

Last thing I'll say is that some of the apps are really overpriced. Bitesmsm and iRealsms are two of them. They each add a couple useful features but $10 for either one is too much. If they were in the app store with more competition they'd cost no more than $5. Intelliscreen is another one. I bought it ($9.99) and it is not worth anywhere near $10. I don't understand why people rave about it so much. Especially now that you can get Bulletin for $.99 which gives you Notification center on the lock screen it's even more ridiculous at $10.

15. acidrain79 macrumors member

The only reasons I jailbreak are BiteSMS and SBSettings. Using these on my jailbroken 4, my phone runs exactly the same as it did before I jailbroke it. I tried using some themes but Winterboard makes scrolling between screens lag a tiny amount. It's small but I'm OCD and I love my phone running as good as it possibly can!!! However I jailbroke my best friends 4S and it runs flawless even with multiple themes running simultaneously for changing his background, icons, lock/unlock sounds, etc. Aside from the themes he's like me, he only runs SBSettings and BiteSMS. Jailbreaking is awesome as long ur not trying to turn ur iPhone into something it isn't, like adding Android style multitasking and whatnot. When u get into that kinda stuff ur just asking for instability and crashes. But minor tweaks to enhance what iOS already does but with a little fine tuning, usually a pretty safe thing. Just don't go overboard :). It's worth trying since ur phone can definitely handle it!!!!

16. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I agree with both the posts above.

Their are jailbreakers out there who can turn the iOS inside out and respect to them. For myself I'm wanting the tweaks, which further enhance my experience and functionality.

Ref icons yeah some themes don't really skin the non stock ones but after some homework with trial and error I believe one can adopt icons which have been posted on here and online to give that something different to your homescreens plus the developers of these themes sometimes after working on their themes add new bits and bats to it.

I'm a patient guy so when the new firmware version is released I can just sit and wait for a jailbreak if I'm interested in what the 5.1 brings although I think perhaps some of it would be available on cydia etc.

Happy days.

17. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Novelty crap.

I jailbroke my 3g-s. it was slightly unstable, couldn't put my finger on whether or not it was due to the jailbreak, or iOS issue.

Noticed after a while that none of the jailbreak apps were mission critical (though it was cool to see quake runnin on an iphone) and went back to factory firmware. Phone was stable again.

I haven't bothered to jailbreak my 4-s. I can't say there's any "omg i must have that" reason to, either.

18. SA22C macrumors regular

This.

I haven't jailbroken since iOS 5 came out and see little reason to do so now. The only thing my iPhone 4 is missing is Siri, and I'm not about to trust some random person with my personal info by using a proxy.

19. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

It's only "novelty crap" if it doesn't provide you with a more efficient experience or benefit you in any way.

20. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

Novelty Crap? Slightly unstable? lol, you must be doing something wrong.

21. solo118 macrumors 65816

No harm has been done to my 4S since the day the JB was released.

Battery is about the same, but the experience got much better. I have always JBed my iphones and I like the small features such as lockinfo, sbsettings and 3G unrestrictor.

I know theres a billion other things I can get in Cydia but I really dont have the time/patience. Not much of a themes guy but I think for the most part I have what I need from Cydia.

22. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Those were the first three tweaks I installed on my phone. Just those three tweaks alone make iPhone soo much better to use. Also have to throw in fakeclockup, love that tweak as well.

23. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

24. saud0488 macrumors 6502

You're missing out on worse than normal battery life and various bugs. And free apps, if that's what you're into.

Never was big on jailbreaking if it wasn't for unlocking.

25. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

Haven't noticed any significant difference in my battery life. "Various bugs" are generally associated with poorly written code or shady tweaks. I had "bugs" on occasion when it was stock.