What amuses me most about the Apple Watch debates

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rjlawrencejr, Mar 13, 2015.

1. rjlawrencejr macrumors 6502

Full disclosure: I will be ordering a 38mm space grey Watch Sport come April 10 and nothing you can say will persuade me to consider otherwise. So don't even try. :)

I have not done a content analysis so I could very well be mistaken, but after reading hundreds and hundreds of posts, why does it seem as though a great number of those not interested in the Watch feel the need not only to tell us they have no interest in it but also feel compelled to tell us how big of a mistake we are making?

Am I imagining this or is it a legitimate trend? Am I hyper aware since I plan to buy one? Because I feel as though it is not so true the other way. I don't get the sense that those of us who want the watch have the same amount of zest to change minds.

I'd love to hear other's thoughts.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I have to say, that even when the post doesn't explicitly try to talk people out of buying a watch, the very fact that they are spending the time to post that they are not interested in the watch makes me feel like there is an underlying attempt to persuade people to change their minds. I mean, if you are just not interested, why even read this forum?

3. CharlieCat666 macrumors regular

CharlieCat666

Even beyond this forum.
    Underneath every article pro apple watch, someone feels the need to comment how stupid they think the watch is, usually at the top of the comments.
    And then there are the hordes of articles written by "analysts" every day talking about why the apple watch is going to fail; half of them citing either unconfirmed or disproven rumors (at least, before the March 9th event).
    I think people are either annoyed that they can't get one for whatever reason (can't afford, don't have an iPhone, etc.) or they're annoyed that they will be literally everywhere in a matter of months. Sure, they may not sellout on opening day, but as soon as people see them and their friends get them, it'll just become another thing people decide that they need. After all, most people trust their family and friends' opinions much more than your average blogger/tech reviewer.

4. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I agree you. I'm going to be buying a 38mm or 42mm SS with the link band. Ironically enough, I have caught myself bashing the apple edition asking myself who would buy it.

In the end, whether or not I agree with someone's purchase, it's ultimately their money and their decision. Everyone has different budgets and different likes. I think we all need keep reminding ourselves this sometimes

5. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Get over yourself. You think people care how you waste your money? I've responded to posts on here where people have tried to justify their need for one of these. Do yourself a favour and realise that you're in fact wasting your money and only you care (or don't care) about that.

6. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

I think they are valid arguments/debates to have. It's like deciding which is the best Mac to get, i5 vs i7 and so on. Ultimately the majority of the debate on an unreleased device is going to be subjective.

7. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I'm all for a fair argument and debate over product lines. The problem with that argument is it's the exact same product internally from the $350 to $17,000 price point unlike the Mac. I don't agree with Apple's approach to pushing it as a high end fashion product since it has a short expiration date.

While I personally think it's a waste of money/poor investment, to some it's nothing to their bankroll and they won't lose any sleep over it. In the end it's a status symbol IMO and if someone wants to buy it it doesn't affect anyone but them so I'll just let it be.

8. rjlawrencejr thread starter macrumors 6502

The very nature of debate is subjective. I don't mind debate or if someone says they don't see the point or appeal of it. I just don't get the strong appeals (to those who have said they're buying) not to get it.

I would feel differently if people were asking "should I get it?"

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Strictly speaking, I admit, it's more of a want than a need. I survived all my life so far without having an Apple watch, and I'm likely to continue getting along fine without one. But I think there are ways in which the Apple watch might make my life a little more convenient. And I'm willing to spend $350 or $400 (depending on which size watch I get) to see if I'm right. Why are you so sure I'm wasting my money when you don't know anything about me or how I might use the watch?

10. rjlawrencejr thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you have done a good job of forcing some people to at least justify their reasons. But there is one shortcoming in your criticism - it's not a fact that I'm wasting my money, it's your opinion. I just think the strong opinion should be reserved for people who are undecided :)

11. CharlieCat666 macrumors regular

CharlieCat666

Well, I think that this is sort of a different situation. I mean, you post here, so clearly you have an interest in Apple products. Which means, that you are a member of the target audience for this product, making your opinion on the matter relevant.
    With something like the iPhone, the target audience is clearly, well, everyone. Including android users; basically, anyone who uses a phone.
    The Apple Watch on the other hand, is an expensive device in an unestablished market that requires users to already own an iPhone. Obviously, Apple isn't trying to convert android users/non-smart phone users with the Apple Watch. I mean, I don't go out of my way to badmouth recent releases in the mobility scooter market. No, that would be silly, because they aren't made for me. Granted that is a bit of a hyperbole; I also don't go out of my way to bad mouth android based wearables, because, again, they aren't made for me.

Now, I do think it is possible that the wearables market will steer consumers to the different OS's in the very near future, (until standalone wearables become the norm) but right now, they aren't popular enough to factor in.

Still, haters gonna hate.

12. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Well actually, you just said it yourself. You are willing to spend the money to find out if you're right. That is wasting your money. You're entitled to waste your money though and don't need to defend that. Do people need to justify why they are buying it? Nope and they should really stop as there is no use case that can be made for it right now in it's current form to justify the money it costs other than you want it. You said it's more of a want than a need. Does anything else need to be said? A watch purchase is usually made more for what you want than what you need.

----------

I'm definitely not trying to change people's minds. Sure i might have suggested that people should not waste their money but I'm not trying to get anyone to comply.

I do know you're wasting your money. Most people waste their money on things they buy on a daily basis. The Apple watch is just another product that doesn't properly fit the premium hole it's trying to fill.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I disagree. Sure, it might be counterintuitive to think that people might go buy an iPhone just so they can use the Apple watch. And yet, I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility. Imagine you are a smartphone user, with no particular loyalty to any platform. Your current contract is going to be up in a few weeks, and you are thinking of buying a new phone when you renew the contract. You see your friend with their brand new Apple watch, and it draws your interest. You hear that you need to have an iPhone to use the watch, and you think, "Why not?"

Next thing you know, you have a watch, an iPhone, an iPad, a MacBook, an AppleTV.... :D

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think you and I have different definitions of "wasting money." According to your definition, the majority of spending of people above the level of poverty would be a waste of money, because we don't need it. We have no need for watching TV, eating out, decorating our houses for Christmas, having more than two sets of clothes (we can wear one while the other is being washed), etc, etc, etc.

If I spend money on something enjoy, then I don't consider it wasted. And while I'm not sure I'll find the watch actually useful, I'm pretty sure I'll get a lot of enjoyment out of just trying it out. It's the cost of two nice dinners out, and I'm sure to entertain myself for at least a month. Looking at it like that, it's kind of a bargain.

15. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

So, on a very short little comment you contradicted yourself. Why do you care what people spend their money on. Why do you feel the need for advising people on their money spending? OP is right, there are many people like yourself around here who for some bizarre reason float the forum with silly comments trying to convince people to not buy a certain product. And you have just proved it. Not that anyone is going to take your genius advice in consideration anyway.

16. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

It is tricky since it is a companion product that requires an Apple device. The unproven market point is questionable though. Pebble was successful despite having limited access to apple and android from a functionality standpoint. They're are many people that love Android wear and swear by it. I think it's proven in a niche market, but in order to convince the general population the price point is quite high and still unproven.

I think Apple strategically sat back and let Android, Pebble, Moto, ect experiment with entering these markets now they want to capitalize on where they went wrong. They knew fashion and full compatibility were major factors that could persuade people on the brink.

While they aren't targeting android users, they are very similar products. Just like their phones and other devices, although not compatible, they are competing against one another even if only from an innovation standpoint.

When it comes down to it the only thing I really hate on is the price point because it's out of many peoples budgets. For a first attempt I think it looks like a promising product I'm just not sure how many peoples hands it will be able to reach

17. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This idea applies to more things than just the watch and I have been told several times that things I purchase with my money that I work for is a waste. I don't understand why people feel the need to insert their opinion, I pay my bills on time, I put money in my savings and being a single 29 yr old with no kids (just my dog), I tend to spoil my dog and have plenty of disposable income to take trips or purchase things like the Apple Watch.

I don't know if people are just envious or are looking out for my best interest (really doubt it). All of my friends are car enthusiast except for me, I love tech and they can spend several thousand of dollars a year on car upgrades without blinking an eye, but my $80 lightsaber is a "waste of money that can be put to better use."

Another friend told me I was stupid for considering a $400-$600 Apple Watch, yet he's currently building a $2,000+ gaming PC.

Everyone has that "thing" they enjoy and so money spent on what they enjoy is not money wasted.

18. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Then don't. I've already said I don't care if people waste their money on this or not. I also said i responded to posts where people were trying to justify their purchase. That's where my point is valid. It's the ******** that this is value for money that draws opinion. If people can actually justify this, they haven't so far.

19. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Nope, thats not waisting money. If you see something that has a real chance of making your life a little easier, the only way to find out is through trial and error. Its not a waste of money until a person buys it, realizes it DOESN'T make their life easier, and decides to keep the product anyway.

Maybe you're thinking one could try the product in the store, but in reality that won't give them a good perception of how the product will help them. You need days with a product like this.

The only people who will be wasting their money on an Apple Watch are those folks who are buy them because they want to show it off.

20. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

People don't care if you spend your money on things like this. If you say that this is going to change your life and that's why you're buying it, people will probably 'insert their opinion'.

----------

Right, and that's not all of them?

If you buy something because you believe that it's going to wow you after you buy it but aren't really sure how it's going to do that, then yes you are wasting your money until you know otherwise. Maybe you'll get lucky and get shipped an Edition model by mistake.

We already know what it can do. If you are creative you can probably make it incredibly useful to you. If you don't know what that use is yet, you are wasting your money. Maybe put some thought into it, check out reviews, check it out in store, then you might just justify it's use for the reason to buy one. You said it was more of a want than a need. Your words, not mine.

21. rjlawrencejr thread starter macrumors 6502

Perhaps you aren't consciously trying to change people's minds, however your persuasive voice would lead many (or at least me) to think otherwise.

But again, whether I am wasting my money is your belief and you're entitled to it, however you can't say it is a fact. It will only be a waste of money if I buy it and then never use it.

For instance I personally believe gym memberships are a waste of money because I can get an excellent workout at the outdoor course near me without incurring any additional costs. However, there are some who swear by gyms. The only ones I think we both would agree are wasting their money are people like my girlfriend who pays a monthly fee for her gym membership yet hasn't stepped foot in one in at least 18 months.

22. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

My voice is not audible on this website. I'm actually got a nice and pleasant calming voice in person.

Also, as it is a real thing and something you wll physically own, it obviously is not a complete waste of money and I never said it was. If you never use it, it would be a complete waste of money. How much of your spend is a waste of money depends on you. But a big chunk of it is as soon as you buy it, functionally speaking. Jewellery wise, it's a great looking watch.

23. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

It's never been about the changing your life idea from a price point perspective. It's obviously more useful to some than others but in the end you could get the same functional product for $350 (fairly reasonable) that you could for $17,000 (insane).

Apple is targeting fashion and they are trying to justify it as premium with steep price bumps. I don't agree and I think it's worth the debate but I guess there's a lot of people out there spending money are crazier things.

"Kanye West fans bid up to $60k on bags of air taken from his Yeezus gigs"

24. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I don't feel I need to justify my purchase and I know the Apple Watch is not something thats going to change how I live my life, its purely a want product and I have the income to make the purchase.

Same happened with the iPhone in 2007, iPad in 2010, the purpose for owning the product became more clearer as I began using it on a day-to-day basis and how I incorporated it to my life. Initially it was just a product I wanted to own and thats how I see the Apple Watch.

25. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Good for you, no-one can argue with that.