Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papa8706

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Hang on. The pebble suits your needs. The upgrade to Apple watch is for form factor? Not function? Right, point made. I would support the Apple watch if it was worth the money. I'm hardly arrogant for expecting products to be worth their price. It's probably more arrogant to upgrade because of 'form factor'. You have to money so why not eh?

Point made lol? How about I was proving that smartwatches hold value for some other than just a "want". The pebble has poor iOS integration since apple makes it extremely difficult for developers to gain access. The Apple Watch would be a solid upgrade. You have a speaker phone for phone calls, siri access to do mathematical calulations, and respond to texts or emails ect. The form factor let's it be worn in more occasions since it isn't such a dog like the pebble. Need I go on? Is it okay if I buy it daddy?

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Point made lol? How about I was proving that smartwatches hold value for some other than just a "want". The pebble has poor iOS integration since apple makes it extremely difficult for developers to gain access. The Apple Watch would be a solid upgrade. You have a speaker phone for phone calls, siri access to do mathematical calulations, and respond to texts or emails ect. The form factor let's it be worn in more occasions since it isn't such a dog like the pebble. Need I go on? Is it okay if I buy it daddy?

You don't need to list its features. We all know what they are. You don't have to list anything. But, no-one has listed uses to justify its price so there is really no point in trying. The Apple Watch hardware needs improving before that will happen I think.

Buy it because it's a great looking watch, nothing wrong with that.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I feel like I'm saying the same thing over and over. If you want it just because you want to splash the money on a new toy, that's your business. People have tried to justify their purchase for the devices function but really can't match it up for the money they spend. Buying a watch is more for want than need. I see nothing wrong with that. But that's what you are buying. A watch first, smart watch second.

Well, if it is my business, why did you ever come onto this thread and say "it's a waste of money"? Isn't that poking your nose into other people's business?

And I don't know about the watch first part. I stopped wearing watches years ago, when I realized that I didn't really need them to tell time because my iPhone or some other device always showed the time. So it's the smart pRt of the smartwatch that's inducing me to buy a watch again. Now, I'm not really sold on how smart it is at this point -- it might turn out to be more dumb than smart. But it's the possibility of smartness that I'm interested in.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Well, if it is my business, why did you ever come onto this thread and say "it's a waste of money"? Isn't that poking your nose into other people's business?

And I don't know about the watch first part. I stopped wearing watches years ago, when I realized that I didn't really need them to tell time because my iPhone or some other device always showed the time. So it's the smart pRt of the smartwatch that's inducing me to buy a watch again. Now, I'm not really sold on how smart it is at this point -- it might turn out to be more dumb than smart. But it's the possibility of smartness that I'm interested in.

The possibility of 'smartness' can be shown to you in reviews. Maybe you want to take it home, jailbreak it or take it apart and see if you can fit a gps chip in it. I would encourage you to do that if that's what you wanted to do. But to pay the money for one of these things just to see if you like what is advertised and to see if it does what it's supposed to, yes that's wasting your money. A 14 money back return policy is very valuable in this case. The term 'more money than sense' doesn't just apply to the wealthy.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You don't need to list its features. We all know what they are. You don't have to list anything. But, no-one has listed uses to justify its price so there is really no point in trying. The Apple Watch hardware needs improving before that will happen I think.

Oh, come on, nobody is buying Apple watch because it's a good looking watch. If you wanted a good looking watch, you could buy nice looking ones for the same amount of money.

It's just your opinion that the current features of Apple watch doesn't justify the price. If someone else feels that those features are worth that price, then it's their business, isn't it?

And just out of curiosity, what do you think will be a justified price for the current Apple watch features?

----------

The possibility of 'smartness' can be shown to you in reviews. Maybe you want to take it home, jailbreak it or take it apart and see if you can fit a gps chip in it. I would encourage you to do that if that's what you wanted to do. But to pay the money for one of these things just to see if you like what is advertised and to see if it does what it's supposed to, yes that's wasting your money. A 14 money back return policy is very valuable in this case. The term 'more money than sense' doesn't just apply to the wealthy.

Well, what would you have me do, then? I read the reviews, I see the ads, I think I like what I hear. How will I know for sure if I actually do like it without paying for it and taking it home? And yes, if I find it doesn't live up to my expectations, then sure, the money back return policy is my friend.

papa8706

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010

If I wanted to buy a great looking watch I wouldn't buy an apple watch. For a smartwatch it's great looking but I have nicer looking watches. It's the combination of features and a sleeker design. Not one or the other.

I listed main uses along with my work example and you still won't quit. If you want to rag on anyone who is buying the watch in these forums then all you're doing is proving the OP's point.

It justifies it for me and that's all I need fine. If you don't agree and want assume you're the ultimate judge in whether or not something is functional or a just want then fine. Why waste so much time in the forums if you think it's unjustified for anyone to begin with?

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Oh, come on, nobody is buying Apple watch because it's a good looking watch. If you wanted a good looking watch, you could buy nice looking ones for the same amount of money.

It's just your opinion that the current features of Apple watch doesn't justify the price. If someone else feels that those features are worth that price, then it's their business, isn't it?

And just out of curiosity, what do you think will be a justified price for the current Apple watch features?

Now that's a good question. But firstly, listing the features doesn't list the uses. The features themselves don't prove its usefulness. A 3d watch with a full querty keyboard has features. It's usefulness is not so apparent.

If the Apple watch compromised less on sensors and more on display, it would be a far better fitness watch and more in line with the quality they are trying to sell it as. GPS is vital for a fitness watch. Waterproofing. I can understand why the water resistance is so low in the apple watch but it does limit the possibilities. Longer lasting battery. Again, this was compromised for the sake of some of the frills such as the high resolution display and touch screen. External battery attachment for longer activities such as marathons or all day cycling. Maybe an FM radio or higher storage for music. There are other things but I think all of that would make it worth its current price.

Also, I don't value things based on the prices of similar products.

----------

If I wanted to buy a great looking watch I wouldn't buy an apple watch. For a smartwatch it's great looking but I have nicer looking watches. It's the combination of features and a sleeker design. Not one or the other.

I listed main uses along with my work example and you still won't quit. If you want to rag on anyone who is buying the watch in these forums then all you're doing is proving the OP's point.

It justifies it for me and that's all I need fine. If you don't agree and want assume you're the ultimate judge in whether or not something is functional or a just want then fine. Why waste so much time in the forums if you think it's unjustified for anyone to begin with?

Well why are you wasting your time trying to justify it to me? I honestly don't care as you can't give a reason for spending that amount of money on its function. It's a good looking toy that will help you with some tasks. It's usefulness is the minor part of its cost.

----------

----------

Well, what would you have me do, then? I read the reviews, I see the ads, I think I like what I hear. How will I know for sure if I actually do like it without paying for it and taking it home? And yes, if I find it doesn't live up to my expectations, then sure, the money back return policy is my friend.

So if it doesn't meet your expectations, you will return it? Wouldn't that prove my point?

papa8706

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Now that's a good question. But firstly, listing the features doesn't list the uses. The features themselves don't prove its usefulness. A 3d watch with a full querty keyboard has features. It's usefulness is not so apparent.

If the Apple watch compromised less on sensors and more on display, it would be a far better fitness watch and more in line with the quality they are trying to sell it as. GPS is vital for a fitness watch. Waterproofing. I can understand why the water resistance is so low in the apple watch but it does limit the possibilities. Longer lasting battery. Again, this was compromised for the sake of some of the frills such as the high resolution display and touch screen. External battery attachment for longer activities such as marathons or all day cycling. Maybe an FM radio or higher storage for music. There are other things but I think all of that would make it worth its current price.

----------

Well why are you wasting your time trying to justify it to me? I honestly don't care as you can't give a reason for spending that amount of money on its function. It's a good looking toy that will help you with some tasks. It's usefulness is the minor part of its cost.

Ugh, I gave you reasons...real life, work, and luxury. And when I did you said "we all know the features." It's a higher tech smartwatch with more features and style than the competition. Explain to me how my reasons are wrong and it's "only a good looking toy that will help me with some tasks?"

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Ugh, I gave you reasons...real life, work, and luxury. And when I did you said "we all know the features." It's a higher tech smartwatch with more features and style than the competition. Explain to me how my reasons are wrong and it's "only a good looking toy that will help me with some tasks?"

Because most of its features are not in line with what you need. You have a use case for interacting with notifications, check. Do you have a use case for the other 12 things it does? I say 12, it might be more. But surely you have no use case for sending your heart beat to someone. Do you have a use case for the many things that your iPhone already does? You'd have to agree that it is more of a want than a need.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

aha. You want a fitness watch. I'm more interested in notifications and ApplePay. Sure, GPS will be nice. But the most excersie I'm likely to do is a walk in the park. Since I'm not going on long runs, the current battery life is enough for me -- or at least should be. Something to test during the return period. So sure, if you want a fitness watch, then I agree, Apple watch isn't worth the price. If, as in my case, fitness isn't the main usage, well, who knows? I think it could be worth the price.

So if it doesn't meet your expectations, you will return it? Wouldn't that prove my point?

But as I keep saying, I wouldn't know for sure if it was worth the money or not unless I actually try it. I have a reasonable expectation that it will be worth my money. And if it does meet my expectations, I will keep it.

----------

Because most of its features are not in line with what you need. You have a use case for interacting with notifications, check. Do you have a use case for the other 12 things it does? I say 12, it might be more. But surely you have no use case for sending your heart beat to someone. Do you have a use case for the many things that your iPhone already does? You'd have to agree that it is more of a want than a need.

Ok, first it didn't have enough featurs, now it has too many features?

Last edited:

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Full disclosure: I will be ordering a 38mm space grey Watch Sport come April 10 and nothing you can say will persuade me to consider otherwise. So don't even try. :)

I have not done a content analysis so I could very well be mistaken, but after reading hundreds and hundreds of posts, why does it seem as though a great number of those not interested in the Watch feel the need not only to tell us they have no interest in it but also feel compelled to tell us how big of a mistake we are making?

Am I imagining this or is it a legitimate trend? Am I hyper aware since I plan to buy one? Because I feel as though it is not so true the other way. I don't get the sense that those of us who want the watch have the same amount of zest to change minds.

I'd love to hear other's thoughts.

Look at the top, it says forum. In a forum you debate. If you can't handle critic, maybe you should not be on a forum.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
aha. You want a fitness watch. I'm more interested in notifications and ApplePay. Sure, GPS will be nice. But the most excersie I'm likely to do is a walk in the park. Since I'm not going on long runs, the current battery life is enough for me -- or at least should be. Something to test during the return period. So sure, if you want a fitness watch, then I agree, Apple watch isn't worth the price. If, as in my case, fitness isn't the main usage, well, who knows? I think it could be worth the price.

But as I keep saying, I wouldn't know for sure if it was worth the money or not unless I actually try it. I have a reasonable expectation that it will be worth my money. And if it does meet my expectations, I will keep it.

----------

Ok, first it didn't have enough featurs, now it has too many features?

So now you're saying you don't know if it will be worth the money until you buy it and at which point if it turns to be not good enough you will return it. So, buying it for the sake of product development and just for fun doesn't justify its price?

And I never said it has too many features. My point has always been about uses.

papa8706

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010

It feeds needs, wants, and has possibilities of things that are yet unknown. I'm not denying the "want" factor is part of it but it's not the only reason.

Many times you upgrade your Mac, iPad, or iPhone because you want new features that are introduced. You do this knowing your current product is usually sufficient but you want the new one.

This is the first smartwatch that's fully compatible with iOS that Apple is introducing. It's not as simple as a want (unless you're spending 17k). There hasn't been a native Apple smartwatch, nor a watch that can do everything this does. It's not like I'm debating if I want the iphone 5 or iphone 6 cause I want a bigger screen and faster processor.

I've used many of the smart watches on the market including Android options. For me, it'll fill both a need and a want that these couldn't fulfill. It's a combination.

I've used pebble since the kickstarter and it's become second nature to me although it lacked key features I needed. Finally having an option with full iOS access is invaluable to me. No idea what your issue is but if you don't understand why people are buying them it's obviously not for you.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
So now you're saying you don't know if it will be worth the money until you buy it and at which point if it turns to be not good enough you will return it. So, buying it for the sake of product development and just for fun doesn't justify its price?

And I never said it has too many features. My point has always been about uses.

You were just pointing out all these features you claimed papa8706 has no use for. So he doesn't have use for those features, he doesn't use them. Why even point out those featurs?

And yes, I'm getting the watch for fun, so my expectations for it are set very low. But that doesn't mean that I have no expectations at all. If the battery lasts only an hour, or I can't feel the taptic engine, or some other really severe problem like that, I'll return it. Does that make sense?

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
It feeds needs, wants, and has possibilities of things that are yet unknown. I'm not denying the "want" factor is part of it but it's not the only reason.

Many times you upgrade your Mac, iPad, or iPhone because you want new features that are introduced. You do this knowing your current product is usually sufficient but you want the new one.

This is the first smartwatch that's fully compatible with iOS that Apple is introducing. It's not as simple as a want (unless you're spending 17k). There hasn't been a native Apple smartwatch, nor a watch that can do everything this does. It's not like I'm debating if I want the iphone 5 or iphone 6 cause I want a bigger screen and faster processor.

I've used many of the smart watches on the market including Android options. For me, it'll fill both a need and a want that these couldn't fulfill. It's a combination.

I've used pebble since the kickstarter and it's become second nature to me although it lacked key features I needed. Finally having an option with full iOS access is invaluable to me. No idea what your issue is but if you don't understand why people are buying them it's obviously not for you.

Is the want factor greater than the need factor for this version of the Apple smart watch?

How is the full Ios access invaluable to you? Also, how do you mean 'full ios access'? I don't think it offers that, it just just it more than other smart watches. In terms of features, it has many features but many are quite gimmicky. GPS sans iPhone would be a far more useful feature than using it as a speakerphone or displaying photos or sending a sketch to another Apple Watch user. In fact, the quality of the display means other required hardware is not included. This is being sold as a fitness watch. It's an inferior fitness watch.

I don't have an issue with anyone buying this watch. But functionally it is not worth it.

----------

You were just pointing out all these features you claimed papa8706 has no use for. So he doesn't have use for those features, he doesn't use them. Why even point out those featurs?

And yes, I'm getting the watch for fun, so my expectations for it are set very low. But that doesn't mean that I have no expectations at all. If the battery lasts only an hour, or I can't feel the taptic engine, or some other really severe problem like that, I'll return it. Does that make sense?

No, you'll probably exchange it if it seems to be broken, right? You'd return it if you feel it's not worth the money. So, your investment in your new toy for the sake of getting this technology where it needs to go is not likely to make a difference as you will be looking for a refund if it doesn't work out. So, what you said earlier was garbage.

papa8706

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Is the want factor greater than the need factor for this version of the Apple smart watch?

How is the full Ios access invaluable to you? Also, how do you mean 'full ios access'? I don't think it offers that, it just just it more than other smart watches. In terms of features, it has many features but many are quite gimmicky. GPS sans iPhone would be a far more useful feature than using it as a speakerphone or displaying photos or sending a sketch to another Apple Watch user. In fact, the quality of the display means other required hardware is not included. This is being sold as a fitness watch. It's an inferior fitness watch.

I don't have an issue with anyone buying this watch. But functionally it is not worth it.

----------

No, you'll probably exchange it if it seems to be broken, right? You'd return it if you feel it's not worth the money. So, your investment in your new toy for the sake of getting this technology where it needs to go is not likely to make a difference as you will be looking for a refund if it doesn't work out. So, what you said earlier was garbage.

Nope. Still mentioning the gimmicky features I already stated I'd never use. Just accept I have my reasons that go over your head.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I feel this is like a religion, or when a group of people believe in something that is not true, and are being taken in by the controlling people.

Others come along, and want to shout and scream at them, and make them understand, but no, they just stick fingers in their ears, go laa laa laa and won't listen.

It just infuriates people.

A bit like trying to educate someone, and they just are not interested.
Blind faith and loyalty in something does annoy others.

Also, the way that many will buy anything irrespective.
Which any logical person would say is just dumb.

Hey Ford are bringing out a new car and I'm buying it.
What sort of car?
I don't know. but it's from Ford so I will be getting one.

What size, shape, colour, fuel economy, number of seats does it have?
How much does it cost?

I don't know, but I'm getting one anyway.

This scenario which happens all the time here, also annoys some people :)

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Nope. Still mentioning the gimmicky features I already stated I'd never use. Just accept I have my reasons that go over your head.

What gimmicky features are you talking about? And what reasons are you referring to? I believe I referenced them already.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Huh? What I meant to say is that if it doesn't work as advertised, I'll return it. Now, what I don't know is even if it works exactly as advertised, whether *that* will be useful to me or not. Figuring that out will likely take longer than the return period, so I'm willing to risk "wasting money" to find that out. And since I'll have fun playing with it, I won't really be wasting that money. It's not really an investment -- I'm not a developer or anything. I just want to get in and be among the first to experience the Apple watch. But if it turns out to be really totally useless to me, and I figure that out within the return period, then yes, I'm going to return it. I don't think I'm contradicting myself by saying that. But maybe I'm getting too sleepy to make much sense, so I'm going to bed now. Was fun talking to you!

papa8706

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
What gimmicky features are you talking about? And what reasons are you referring to? I believe I referenced them already.

"In terms of features, it has many features but many are quite gimmicky. GPS sans iPhone would be a far more useful feature than using it as a speakerphone or displaying photos or sending a sketch to another Apple Watch user."

Never once mentioned displaying photos or sketches (gimmicky) ^

Like I said, I listed my needs (work related), wants (slick design compared to the pebble and other apple compatible solutions so I could even wear it outside of work), and future possibilities (yet unknown, but promising).

You don't get that not everyone has the same needs as you. Maybe it's awant for you that you aren't going to get but not everyone is the same.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Oh and I almost forgot probably THE most annoying thing about Apple fans :)

The fact that, pretty much everything they have not done, would be wrong to do anyway.

Pretty much everything they have done it the right thing to do.

And this constantly being in a state of flux.

EG:

If Apple had made a round watch, that would be right, but now it's wrong.

If Apple had made a gold plated model that would be right, but now it would be cheap and scummy.

If the Apple watch was thin, thin would be amazing, but now chunky is the right shape.

Likewise with any Apple products.
And I'm not saying everyone does it!

It's the blind acceptance and utter loyalty and backing to anything that's done, no matter how good or bad.

And the fact that this all changes when Apple changes something.

If the new Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge was made by Apple, mostly everyone here who hates Samsung and their designs would be having orgasms over the screen, wireless charging, and other aspects of it.

But because it's Samsung and not Apple it's just stupid gimmicks.

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
OP, if your watch lasts a year (a given with Apple Care) you'll pay ~$1/day for it, and I suspect you'll really enjoy it.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
They don't, I've said that already. But people are trying but can't. You want it? Fine. Will it be a nice watch purchase? I think it will.

You keep on saying that people can't justify it, which I think is what winds people up. They/I can justify it. Maybe not to you, but as it's my money I only have to justify it to me.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
THE most annoying thing about Apple fans

I feel this is like a religion, or when a group of people believe in something that is not true, and are being taken in by the controlling people.

Others come along, and want to shout and scream at them, and make them understand, but no, they just stick fingers in their ears, go laa laa laa and won't listen.

[...] A bit like trying to educate someone, and they just are not interested.

So that's why you're here? :confused:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
So that's why you're here? :confused:

Nice bit of editing separate postings into one posting.

I must find separate postings you have made to reconstruct something also :D

I'm here as I love technology.
I just get saddened by the "Magic" apple talks which is simply designed to attempt to amaze people who know no better.

You could take almost any physical product and use Apple magic talk to make it sound amazing.
Everyone, and everything is amazing in this world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.