What an absolute DISASTER!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlockEight88, Sep 12, 2014.

1. BlockEight88 macrumors regular

I am just curious if anyone else is as fed up as I am? Had to stay up until 5am CST to get my order in for a T-Mobile iPhone Plus 64GB Space Gray at Apple.com. I was trying to follow everyone on here, but the MacRumors forums were so busy, half the time the page would not load.

My beef is that after all these years Apple.com was the worst place to get the phone from. Why is that? I tried to use the app on my 5S and iPad but the Apple store app DID NOT have the T-Mobile model off contract. I can't believe Apple would do that? Why? T-Mobile's own website was not even taking pre-orders at all, despite it before past 3am.

Finally got my order in, but the shipping time shows Oct 1-6. I tried like the second Apple.com became available and that's the best I could get? Wow. I understand its a phone, and I'll wait, but I can't believe a company the size of Apple can't even get their 8th generation iPhone orders straight. I remember the same EXACT thing happening with the 4S, and 5, though not as bad.

[​IMG]

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

The problem is that the Plus units were in very short supply.

Not much you can do.

3. BlockEight88 thread starter macrumors regular

I understand that. But why on earth does Apple release a phone (they know will be huge) when they can't keep up with the demand? Every year it gets WORSE. It should be improving each year. Never in my life have I seen such a mess.

4. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Just about every new Iphone release is a disaster. While I'm not as upset as you, it is to be expected and I was not shocked by all the crashing everywhere.

What did catch me by surprise was how late the actual Apple site was to open for pre-orders. You actually had a better chance of pre-ordering through the Apple App or directly with your carrier, than on the site itself, and even that was crashing from time to time.

Needless to say you received your confirmation, as did many of us, and although the shipping times have quickly slipped south, we'll all get our phones eventually. Until then, live life, enjoy your weekend.

5. mantan macrumors 68000

We've heard for weeks that supplies were limtied on the larger model. Including rumors of a staggered launch. But it's a no-win. If they launch early with limited supply, people will complain. If they had a late October release when supplies were ready, people would complain as well.

In 2 months you won't care.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

They weren't actually late. "We'll be back" was also being used as a placeholder for "our server is completely smashed right now". Which is unfortunate because it sent people mixed messages.

7. kerrikins macrumors 65816

Sigh.

Can you think of another manufacturer who has as much demand for their product from launch date, who manages to fulfill all demand and not have any problems?

Every year people say that Apple had better be prepared, and every year they sell even more phones than the year before. Everyone thought that the 5S sales would be kind of lackluster but they still sold more than before, and that was without two new sizes and the new features available this year!

I get that you're upset, honestly - it took me an hour and a half of refreshing last night to get my order in. But I think when we hear the pre-order numbers it'll make sense why they had so many problems.

8. illutionz macrumors 65816

The 5.5 supply is very limited. Just relax, it'll be okay. I have the same 7-10 days like you too (I ordered the same stuff as you). The way I see it is that I have more time to clean my phone up before backing it up and I have more time to choose a case :)

9. leenak macrumors 68020

Honestly, getting a phone a couple weeks beyond release is hardly a disaster. Its an inconvenience at most.

10. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

11. davefromca macrumors 6502

Yes I agree, it does suck dont get me wrong but their launches are massive, the biggest launches in the history of the planet. Once again though the verizon site came through with no problems right at 12:01 pst. I think that is one of those "you get what you pay for" kind of thing. Verizon is pricey but they have the cash to set up great servers and absorb the loads these preorders place on them.

12. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

13. samg77 macrumors member

A lot of people on Verizon were getting a delivery date of Oct 7th and they ordered 5 MINUTES past Midnight PST. I know it sucks but you probably only waiting 10 days or so, which I know you wanted 9/19 like most of us, but there are far worse things happening. I'd go as far as saying this is going to be the biggest phone launch in history. Apple has finally nailed a phone that not only appeals to the masses but to the power user crowd, and they are going to sell more phones at launch than any phone ever. 10 days isn't terrible. Some people are getting November estimates! Goto Apple a lot of phones still available 9/19, 5 minutes ago I ordered my wifes iPhone 6 Regular, 64GB and not only was it available to ship 9/19 but available for pickup in about 20 Apple stores from Sacramento to the Bay Area. (Verizon)

14. WilliamG macrumors 604

Same boat. 7-10 days on iPhone 6 Plus 64GB T-Mobile. It's one thing to have low stock of that model, and quite the other for the site to not work for 2.5 hours..

15. BlockEight88 thread starter macrumors regular

I understand what a lot of you are saying. What I do not understand is why the Apple store took SEVERAL hours before it started taking pre-orders? Why did the Apple store app NOT have the T-Mobile iphone. That's what I'm really upset about.

16. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Hurricane Katrina
    Thailand Tsunami
    BP Oil Spill
    Fukushima Daiichi Japanese Nuclear Power Plant
    9/11 Terrorist Attacks

These are absolute DISASTERS!

Yours is merely a inconvenient first world problem, personal and particular to you.

Many people wanted to pre-order last night and as usual that number grows every year. No amount of preparation will truly handle the increased demand and server loads. They can't logistically build in the sort of infrastructure for that level of anticipated demand that comes with a few short hours of need once a year. Some launches and pre-orders have gone more smoothly than others. It is what it is.

But to claim it is what you claim it is disrespects those who have suffered actual disasters.

17. kerrikins macrumors 65816

It didn't take several hours as far as I can tell. Over on Reddit people were reporting success and I'm sure people here had success as well (though Macrumors servers weren't doing so hot last night either). The message that you were getting was the equivalent of a 'we can't load that page for you right now, try again', not 'our system isn't open yet'.

Given that people were given the impression that they weren't even taking pre-orders, though, they should probably change the wording next time.

18. illutionz macrumors 65816

They were doing load balancing on their website until around 5:30am ET. The website wasn't really DOWN for those 2.5 hrs, it just has a very limited amount of people who can access it to ensure the ordering system doesn't crash or whatnot.

19. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Please think about it. Actually think about. The need for them to have server load and bandwidth for ordering is such a short window. The system only has this level of demand for such a short short window once a year. After that it goes down. The resources they may have to commit to to provide for the demand can only be scaled to a certain point when any more diminishes the need. No other ordering system in the world needs to handle this amount of volume ever in such a short time.

And that demand grows yearly at an pretty impressive rate, this year probably more than most for two reasons, natural sales growth, and increased demand because of the two new models in new sizes. You cannot predict that accurately. And you certainly can't resource for it in such a way that the cost makes sense for the duration of need. So they do the best they can. And I would say that is still somewhat impressive. You wouldn't get this minimized level of "failure" from any other company. It would be exponentially worse.

20. BlockEight88 thread starter macrumors regular

The message I was getting was the same everyone else was getting who wanted to order from Apple.com. "The Apple store is updating, and will be right back." That doesn't mean the servers were loaded, it meant they weren't done updating the store.

Again, people had more success if they used the Apple store App. Myself and many others COULD NOT, as it didn't have the T-Mobile iphone listed.

21. kerrikins macrumors 65816

I know what the message was. I was trying to order as well. But there were people on Reddit who WERE getting through and placing orders on the website, and like I said, I'm sure that people over here were getting through as well. If the website was completely down, nobody should have been getting through at all. Plus, I was still getting that message on my computer when I was able to place my order through the App Store, and they all use the same backend, even if the front-end is different. It's not as though the App Store has its own inventory and system. They were just overwhelmed with demand.

Like I said, the message was misleading.

22. trophynuts macrumors member

trophynuts

Why on earth do people get so ******** over something so petty? Who cares? Some of you people need to really get a life.

I would really like to hear what some of your opinions would be for Apple to change to so that this wouldn't happen. ????? If it frustrates you so much why not wait a month so the order process will be smooth?

#youMadBro

23. IlliniGuy76 macrumors regular

Are you going to be able to survive getting the phone 2 weeks past release date? If yes, I think you'll be just fine.

Has nothing to do with a company getting their "orders straight" It has everything to do with this novel concept called supply and demand.

24. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

Are you sincerely suggesting that Apple arbitrarily withhold stock to have a single wide release, just so people can feel better about getting their phone at the same time as other complete strangers?

This was far from a mess. I woke up from a dream at 3:40am EST. Decided to order a phone since I was awake anyway. Loaded up the Apple Store app on my phone and completed the order. Forty minutes later I decided to try for a different model and a after a few minutes of clicking around the app, it showed the model available and I ordered. Then I went back to sleep.

What a "disaster".

25. BlockEight88 thread starter macrumors regular

Obviously you can't read, or don't have T-Mobile. You try ordering the 6 via the app and select the T-Mobile model. If you are successful, I will admit it wasn't a disaster.