What Apple hopes you didn't notice about iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JamersPad, Mar 7, 2011.

1. JamersPad, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

JamersPad macrumors newbie

JamersPad

I read this article with interest;

It was a magical performance from a consummate performer, on that we can all agree.

Speaking for a little more than an hour, in a voice that has lost little of its calm intensity, Steve Jobs mesmerized the audience Wednesday at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, and by extension the world.

His introduction of the iPad 2 did quadruple duty -- it enticed mainstream customers, wowed spec-hunting tech geeks, tweaked his competitors and pleased Wall Street. Future presidential candidates would do well to study it.

Essentially, Jobs was selling a dream that could set your rib cage thumping with desire.

"Technology alone is not enough," he said in one of the day's more lyrical asides. "Technology married with liberal arts, humanities, yields the result that makes our hearts sing."

Full disclosure: Yeah, I want to buy one, too.

But a dream-made reality comes with limitations and imperfections, especially in the gadget business. Like any good magician, Jobs used sleight of hand to distract from the things we're not supposed to see.

On the morning after, it's time to take leave of our hearts, return to our heads and name them.

Man on wire

Magicians who use wires in their act don't let you see them, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. In this case, the wire is the same old white cable that you'll have to use to sync your iPad to your PC or Mac from Day One.

Yes, apps such as Audiogalaxy or Air Server let you stream music and video to the iPad via Wi-Fi, but they don't remove the need to hook up to iTunes to back up or sync content for most apps.

In a device that's supposed to be about effortless connecting, and a world that is moving to cloud syncing, this is an increasingly clunky throwback.

Memory man

How much memory will the new iPad have? We don't know, because Jobs didn't tell us. Given that he ticked off all the other major specs of the device, it seems an odd omission. Could it be because its memory is exactly the same as the original iPad -- 256 megabytes?

That would look embarrassingly paltry next to iPad competitors such as the Motorola Xoom or the HP Touchpad, which both boast 1 gigabyte of RAM.

Gadget blog Gizmodo claims an Apple employee quoted 256 megabytes when demonstrating the product, only to have the claim walked back by a PR handler. We'll wait for better proof.

But there is another kind of memory that we know is exactly the same on iPad 2: storage space. The Apple tablet still maxes out at 64 gigabytes. Sure, the competition isn't beating that yet. But given the standard pace of technological improvement, one would expect a 128-gigabyte hard drive by now. Could tablet design have reached some kind of inherent size limit?

Behind the screen

Contrary to what the rumor mill had been expecting, there was no improvement in screen resolution -- meaning the iPad 2 is already lagging behind the iPhone 4, with its much-touted retina display. (An iPhone 5 is expected later this year.)

And while Jobs told us how many frames per second of video the new iPad's cameras would shoot, he didn't mention megapixels. This is not a spec he has been shy about announcing when it came to iPhone models.

Holding back?

In all the hoopla, it's easy to forget that many features announced for iPad 2 were expected -- and were technically possible -- in iPad 1. It was widely remarked at the time that Apple was deliberately holding back built-in cameras, for one, so that the iPad 2 could launch with a larger splash.

Barring some mass outbreak of leaks at the notoriously tight ship that is One Infinite Loop, we'll likely never know the truth. But we do know that one "new" feature touted Wednesday -- the ability to use the mute button to lock the orientation of the screen -- was originally available in iPad 1. The button only changed its purpose when iOS4 was introduced.

So what, if anything, is Apple deliberately holding back for iPad 3? A memory boost? Retina display? Cloud sync? Stereo speakers? (Yes, the iPad 2 is still mono.)

One thing we can be pretty sure of -- there will be another peerless presentation of achingly beautiful tablet technology this time next year.

CNN source here

2. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Wa wa waaaaa. Just buy a xoom if you're so hung up on specs.

3. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

Sorry I'm going to have to caps lock this one statement:

APPLE HAS NEVER EVER RELEASED SPECS FOR THE RAM ON AN IPAD/IPHONE/IPOD TOUCH

In addition, you know that the cameras probably suck because Jobs did not mention it. If you honestly want to take photos with a 10" digital camera go ahead but it's clearly designed for video, augmented reality apps, and FaceTime.

4. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Exactly. The iPad has other attributes people like aside from specs.

5. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

You forgot to whine about the fact that ipad doesn't have Flash.

6. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Market forces have not conspired to force Apple to include all imaginable bells and whistles. When their returns (or perceived returns) start to roll off, they will once again offer a new device. If it isn't what you want/need, then exert market force by not buying it. We are the lemmings.

7. JamersPad thread starter macrumors newbie

JamersPad

Good point. Don't think I will be rushing out to replace my iPad just yet.

8. maclook macrumors 65816

Didn't you feel strange quoting an entire ginormous article and then writing one line in response?

9. JamersPad thread starter macrumors newbie

JamersPad

I also read somewhere, that this new iPad 2 is only in the interim as there is going to be an iPad 3 launch sometime in September. If I find it again I will add the link.

10. olternaut macrumors 6502a

He wasn't "hung up" on the specs. The guy was being totally objective about it.

Gawd your a sheep.

11. hi res macrumors member

hi res

Geez OP, you're just regurgitating a million other posts on this forum--just under the guise and reference of a "magic act"...If you're not satisfied with the iPad 2, don't buy it...if you're upset by Jobs' wording--don't listen...if you want to post redundant threads--well I guess you've already done that. Your ideas are not fresh, your insights are not fresh, you're simply echoing a million other people who cannot accept Apple's way of doing things.

12. JamersPad thread starter macrumors newbie

JamersPad

Hey don't shoot me... is this not a discussion forum then? thought I would post this article to create a debate on the subject, if I am regurgitating a million other posts on this forum, what's the point of a forum if you can't continue to discuss topics, sometimes again and again, is that not the purpose of a forum?

13. olternaut macrumors 6502a

Astounding. He. Was. Not. Whining.

He said he was buying it. The guy is trying...TRYING to show you people that all is not what it seems...as is usual with Apple.
    But you freaks just keep buying with absolutely no understanding.

The masses can't all be this asleep can they?

14. hi res macrumors member

hi res

you're perfectly welcome to continue those discussions....in the pertinent thread! starting new threads is for new ideas/topics/discussions...if everyone wanted their own idea to be a new topic, this forum would be nothing but new threads

15. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Man on Wire: iOS 5.0 - Anyone with a clue knows Apple is holding this stuff back for the next iOS update, just like they held back a lot of features after the first iPad came out until iOS 4.0 came out for it (sadly months after it did for the iPhone but still).

Memory Man: Isn't that the whole point that Steve Jobs was making about obsessing of specs? This is a post-pc device, so the user experience is the only important thing, not competing with other devices with specs. Clearly someone did not actually watch the keynote? I agree about the storage space factor though, but I suppose Apple has to draw a line in the sand somewhere for making a profit.

Behind the screen: The "rumor mill" always overhypes products. The product is already way under priced by Apple standards, and putting high price features (Retina Display and high megapixel cameras) is not cheap! Something that people don't seem to understand is that the MSRP of the iPad is actually less than the iPhone when unsubsidized. This means Apple has more room to work with on the iPhone's features. Call it greed if you want, but it isn't that hard to understand why there is no Retina Display.

Basically the whole article just reads as someone who is not a tech analyst, but just wants and wants, but never lives in reality. I want a space elevator but I know it's too expensive for us to build, does that I mean that someone is holding back from building one? Reality sucks, but we all live in it.

16. urkel macrumors 68030

Apple doesnt care if people notice any potention shortcoming because they have an army of Yes-Men who will defend every decision they make. If a spec is above the competition they gloat about superiority. If a spec is below the competition they say "who needs that anyway". Think about it, what other company in the world can call a VGA quality video chat service Facetime "HD" and not get any backlash?

Apple is in a rare position where they've got both the fans and the "journalists" eating out of their hands. It's a fascinating time in technology that probably wont repeat itself so rather than getting mad just sit back and watch the circus.

17. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Pretty much every company could get away with that because the consumer doesn't know what VGA is or even what HD means.

Or maybe those are two different people saying that? One person actually cares about specs, while the other person just doesn't care? Of course because of the internet they are seen as the same people (we are all one giant blob of information).

If this was true then things like "Antennagate" would have never happened. Even after the event that Apple held to try to shift away the issue, there were still plenty of fans and journalists who were talking about it. However the noise died down once people realized it wasn't changing sales at all.

To be honest you have an interesting perspective on things. I think a lot of people should take a look at what you said because there is some truth to it, but at the same time, there is a lot more going on here.

18. JamersPad thread starter macrumors newbie

JamersPad

Maybe I missed the other thread then... could you point me to the original please? where this was discussed previously, nothing worse than starting a new thread if someone has already started one. As for new threads, surely all threads at some point are new?

19. lilo777 macrumors 603

You are funny :D If specs are not important then why did Steve talk so much about them (like dual core, 9x GPU performance boost etc.)? Do you want iPad 3 with ARM CPU clocked at 200MHz?

20. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

You misquoted me, Steve Jobs was talking about obsessing over specs, not that there isn't some importance to them. The most important thing is still the user experience. Which means if Apple put an ARM 200mhz in the next iPad and it was all slow and annoying, the user experience would not be very good, and Apple would have failed. Again, it's not that specs aren't important, it's that ultimately the only important thing is the user experience above all else, if they put 1 billion cores in it and throw tons of memory in but fail at the user experience, then the specs don't matter.

It really isn't that hard to understand, but people love to catch people in a contradiction, even though none of that is going on here.

21. admanimal macrumors 68040

Maybe he would have gotten a better response if not for the fact that all of these things have been discussed ad nauseum on here. At least one of the items (cloud syncing) has nothing to do with the device itself and would be introduced in a new iOS version. Another thing (the RAM) is more than likely a non-issue since the device probably has 512MB.

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of the iPad 2, but these aren't them.

22. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

They did?

23. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Also, the first iPad is not spec full either and it so awesome! I am quite happy with my iPad and am planning to get iPad 2.

24. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

I thought the (original, at least) iPad actually did have two (stereo) speakers. Just not at opposing ends - a single port.
    Makes sense if you think about it though, as one of the design points is the free orientation of the device, and having the 'left' speaker point to the right, up, down, everywhere-but-left would be a little weird. Switching audio isn't going to work well, either.

25. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

Apple pretty much put out what I thought they would.

- Cameras
    - Speed/performance bump
    - New Design
    - Some new tricks for the next update of iOS

Honestly Apple was not going to throw in 1GB of RAM, 128GB of storage, and a retina display on the first update to the iPad. I expect some of those things (perhaps all) in the iPad 3. The iPad 2 is going to to satisfy the mass majority of users. I doubt many will be sending theirs back because of a lack of RAM or no retina display. iOS 5 will bring it's own improvements to all iOS devices.