What apps do you have running all the time in your multitasking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Trey1984, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Trey1984, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

Trey1984 macrumors regular

I have bitesms, iPod, phone, mail...I always run those but kill everything else...what about you?

2. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

TiKL, Skype, PDF Expert, Schedules, PitchFever.

3. vebs macrumors regular

I just leave everything running, I only ever kill something if the app is having a problem. It doesn't seem to affect my phone in any way.

4. iphone X macrumors regular

iphone X

i dont leave anything running in the multitasking bar. i usually kill the app after i done using it.

5. JReinn macrumors member

iPod, SMS/TEXT, Phone, Safari, Camera, Photos

6. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

I almost always kill all the apps via Remove Background Toggle in SbSettings :)

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I never leave anything running. I like my battery life and speedy phone.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't purposely keep anything running. If I open up the app tray, likely I'll kill everything. If I don't open the app tray, then likely, everything is running.

9. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_9 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E501 Safari/6533.18.5)

Phone, Messages, Mail, iPod, Clock.

Others sometimes get left on for a while. I only kill apps after exiting a game. So if I haven't played a game on days, then there may be a lot more apps running in the background.

But I only trust the default, core apps to be running all the time.

10. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

None

as to me it hurts battery life if you keep them open.

11. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

People!

The apps "running" in the background take up ZERO CPU time. The memory they use is instantly available to the foreground app.

Background apps do not degrade the performance of your iPhone.

An app in the background is essentially frozen. It does not continue to run, it's archived and available for quick "re-foregrounding", if that's a word. The "multitasking" bar is really a "recently used apps that are quickly available and don't need to be relaunched and have saved their state at termination" bar. For some reason Apple prefers the former term rather than the latter.

There are some exceptions: an app can specifically request iOS to be allowed to: 1) continue to play audio; 2) continue to get GPS coordinates; 3) continue to receive phone calls; and 4) certain Apple apps can do whatever they want (like the timer in Clock).

So, sure, if you have an app that's continually getting and recording GPS coordinates, or playing Lady GaGa songs, by all means kill it. Otherwise, stop overthinking this and just chill.

12. rioja macrumors regular

I don't purposely close anything unless I notice the phone slowing down. Then I'll kill off anything I'm not using.

13. JReinn macrumors member

Many people should never open their iPod app :rolleyes:

14. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

+1

I see no reason to close anything. If the OS needs more RAM, it'll take it from the least recently used app. I use my phone heavily all day long and I've never been in a battery critical situation. As far as I'm concerned, the OS functions brilliantly.

15. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Mail, IM+, Messages, Skype, Facebook, & Twitter.

The two apps I will NEVER leave running are iTunes and applications. They make my phone extremely laggy.

16. gpc17 macrumors regular

17. JulianL macrumors 65816

I never close anything but last week I started getting horrible battery drain where my phone was down at 94% 3 hours after coming off the charger and sitting doing nothing on my desk (*). I tried rebooting but it still drained at the same rate. I then killed all apps and it went back to normal.

I still never close anything (I'm a computer scientist so I know the principles of how Apple multitasking works) but I am now deeply suspicious of leaving the compass app in the quicklaunch bar because that is the only rarely-used app that I had on the bar when I was getting the battery drain. Compass is a location aware app, and it is an Apple built-in app so who knows what non-standard APIs it might use. I wonder whether it registers itself for some sort of regular location notifications and there's some sort of bug such that it doesn't close down GPS cleanly or keeps it active for too long on each occassion that it gets called. Anyway, after clearing out my taskbar and never using Compass since, my battery life seems to be back to normal.

So, my behaviour is leave everything "running" except for Compass.

- Julian

(*) For people who say I was imagining the battery drain and that 3 hours at 94% is good, I wasn't! I don't use my phone much and have no push or email at all. I just looked at my phone now and it has been off the charger for 22 hours and 59 minutes and is still at 99% charge, and that's with a couple of text messages and calling my voicemail twice; this is the sort of battery life that I'm used to getting. Mt 94% after 3 hours of no use whatsoever was definitely an issue.

18. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I don't have the % turned on so I don't get so anal retentive about it. If I happen to double click the home button I'll usually kill everything, otherwise I just let it be.