Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Thanks to all of you who have considered, addressed, recommended, etc. a remedy to my issue! Still no final resolution, only the anticipation of swiping like attacking an insect. As someone said above, C'mon Apple, if restoring the abillity to turn off multi-functionality is an answer give it to us!!
Not to sound like a dick, but if you take a little bit of time to learn how multitasking on iPadOS 15 works, you’d learn how to avoid creating these additional windows to begin with. Mashing away with your fingers and taping/dragging in random directions is likely what is creating them in the first place. The truth is that these minimized windows add a lot of power to iPadOS that isn’t quite to easy to see on the surface.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Not to sound like a dick, but if you take a little bit of time to learn how multitasking on iPadOS 15 works, you’d learn how to avoid creating these additional windows to begin with. Mashing away with your fingers and taping/dragging in random directions is likely what is creating them in the first place. The truth is that these minimized windows add a lot of power to iPadOS that isn’t quite to easy to see on the surface.
But they are correct that since Apple had a switch to disable multitasking before, it really should still be possible to disable it. This is just Apple's loathing of giving users the ability to configure/customize the OS. I can imagine a lot of iPad users would prefer a simpler system similar to an iPhone.

Reactions: usagora

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
But they are correct that since Apple had a switch to disable multitasking before, it really should still be possible to disable it. This is just Apple's loathing of giving users the ability to configure/customize the OS. I can imagine a lot of iPad users would prefer a simpler system similar to an iPhone.

Yep - totally ridiculous to take away options. If they're concerned about simplicity, then do what many apps do and give users a "basic" and "advanced" options area. It's not rocket science.

Keukasmallie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
WNY
Not to sound like a whiner, but my age and infirmities do lead to just the problems you describe, "Mashing away with your fingers and taping/dragging in random directions is likely what is creating them in the first place." I'm not into the the far reaches of the iPad's capabilities, just the normal email, Internet, FaceTime now and then. Seems to me that a front-running company like Apple would have kept a switch that let me fumble along my merry way while you explore the vast reaches, etc.

In any event, thanks for taking the time to respond....

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You can leave draft emails open and unsaved on the iPhone as well; they're down at the bottom of the screen.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
You can leave draft emails open and unsaved on the iPhone as well; they're down at the bottom of the screen.
I can only see a single draft email at a time and it only seems to display when using iCloud but not my normal email provider. I've never noticed it before. Hardly the same thing though. It is much simpler.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I can only see a single draft email at a time and it only seems to display when using iCloud but not my normal email provider. I've never noticed it before. Hardly the same thing though. It is much simpler.
Here there are five unsaved draft emails from a regular IMAP account at the bottom of the screen. When you tap on them they expand and you either swipe or tap the X to close them. On the phone you don't know how many drafts/windows are open unless you tap the bottom, and you always see them at the bottom; the iPad shows you how many are open when you switch to it and then they are hidden from view. Subjective difference, but I prefer the iPad's method.
IMG_1850.PNG IMG_1851.PNG

Last edited:

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Here there are five unsaved draft emails from a regular IMAP account at the bottom of the screen. When you tap on them they expand and you either swipe or tap the X to close them. On the phone you don't know how many drafts/windows are open unless you tap the bottom, and you always see them at the bottom; the iPad shows you how many are open when you switch to it and then they are hidden from view. Subjective difference, but I prefer the iPad's method.
View attachment 2004596 View attachment 2004597
I see that now. Seems buggy. I was getting very different results earlier. Sometimes the "New Message" disappeared even when there were multiple drafts. Other times, it would just show the last draft when tapped and not the multiple draft screen.

If you hit cancel and then Save Draft it acts completely differently than if you swipe down on the draft. Weird.

I don't do many draft emails on my iPhone so I'm not surprised I never encountered this.

It is still very different from the multitasking, multi-window version on iPadOS. And I still contend the iPad version is more complex.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.