What are best games?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Nixon Face, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Nixon Face macrumors newbie

I like the World of Warcraft and also the rpg games Fallout and Mass Effect. im gonna by a Macbook Air. What are other best games I should play?

2. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

I love playing "The Search Function".

:)

Start by installing Steam. Also, you can play ANY games you want by installing Boot Camp and using Windows, but there are plenty of good Mac games.

3. Dr.Pants, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

If you're an RPG fan the shellshock of the COD series might not be for you IMO. If you want to try a shooting game, I would recommend installing Steam and trying out the Orange Box, aka Half Life 2, Episodes 1 and 2, Portal, and TF2.

Half Life 2 - single player. All storytelling is from a first-person perspective. Take down an extraterrestrial-backed police state.
    Episodes 1 and 2 - follow after the plot of Half Life 2.
    Portal - Single player. First person perspective again. You're a scientist doing tests, or so you think...
    TF2 - Multiplayer. Awesome online community. Multi might not be your thing, but its there.

EDIT - apparently poster recommending COD got deleted for some reason?

4. simsaladimbamba

Yep, poster was spamming.

My recommendation: Death Rally

5. Nixon Face thread starter macrumors newbie

nevermind they told me on the other board macbook air cant gaem. o well. wish it could but o well.

6. simsaladimbamba

It can run games, just not the newest one at best settings. The 320M is quite a good GPU, even for an integrated one.
    Anyway, you could use MRoogle to find many relevant threads, for example "games on 320m" and so on.

7. Nixon Face thread starter macrumors newbie

now im confuzed on other board guy said MACBOOK AIR IS NOT GMAING MACHINE but you say it will? Only old game?

8. simsaladimbamba

They said in your other thread, that the machine is capable of gaming some games, it is just not a dedicated gaming machine, even if it would look cooler.
    As the 320M is better than the 9400M, and I could play COD 4 : MW on the 9400M, the MBA can surely play COD at lower settings.

Again, MRoogle will show you dozens of similar threads, though the 1.4GHz CPU might be a tad slow.

9. Nixon Face thread starter macrumors newbie

no i dont wont dedicated gaming. I wont to email, web, movies to. poeple have computers that only game?wierd.

10. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Hardcore gamers will have purpose built Windows gaming rigs and spend a fortune on the latest graphics cards, the 320m in the Air whilst not high end is more then capable of running modern games at medium settings, Ive even run Crysis on a old MacBook with a 9400m and it ran fine with medium settings due to the display being relatively low res. If you like RPG's then try Dragon Age:Origins and Neverwinter Nights 2, both are huge games with hours of gameplay.

11. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

using boot camp is kind of like cheating, isn't it. but i think if you download stem you will have more than enough content

12. doh123 macrumors 65816

Don't cheat.. run it in OSX.. thats what Wineskin is for :)

13. Nixon Face thread starter macrumors newbie

I am hardcore gamer. I play the World of Warcraft all days.

14. simsaladimbamba

Now you really sound like you are just ****ing with us.
    You want to have an MBA to look cool, find it weird that there are people out there who get a dedicated gaming machine and consider yourself a hardcore gamer.

Anyway, WoW should do nicely on a cool 1.4/1.6 GHz MBA, it might not be as cool playing it though.

15. Nixon Face thread starter macrumors newbie

whats wierd about bein hardcore but still using computer for email, webs and videos? no what nevermind alls i wanted was for to ask best games play on macbook air, but half people say it not gaming machine other half say will, other hald say only old game. no one know. jst make things up.

16. simsaladimbamba

What's weird about being not a gaming machine but being able to play games?
    Anyway, since you don't take a look at any of the other threads out there (via MRoogle for example), here are some examples:

Threads related to the 320M:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=904957
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=917825
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=908864

Thread related to some cool MBA:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1035981 - actually a big thread

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

All computers can do email, web, movies. When you hear "dedicated gaming machine", the term refers to it's ability to play the most demanding games in existence. A Macbook Air is not that computer. It will be good for casual games, but may bog down when you throw something like Crysis at it.

18. Zerozal macrumors 6502

I've become pretty addicted to Torchlight (available on Steam). No multiplayer yet (TL2 is coming soon), but if you liked the Diablo series, you'll like Torchlight.

19. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

Left 4 Dead 2 for multiplayer 4 person co op.

Starcraft 2 for nail biting 1v1 strategy (this is my most played)

Torchlight for a supplement until Diablo 3 (TL is a great game)

Half Life 2 for great single player

I switch over to COD: Black Ops for leisure playing. I have 20 hours logged, the game is simple and easy to get good at. I am already prestige 1 level 15 or something. And routinely get 1st-3rd in random ranked matches, and I am primarily a RTS guy.

20. smayragrace macrumors newbie

Mine Best Games are:-
    Battlefield 3
    Mario Kart
    Batman - Arkham City
    Need For Speed
    Angry Bird
    GTA Vice City
    Battlestra.................etc

21. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

22. GMTGuy macrumors newbie

I'm a HUGE fan of counter strike, the original and of source. I still think it's the best first person shooter out there and is very fun to play, so I definitely recommend you check out that. Valve has managed to make steam very smooth these days as well.

23. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Hah. Steam on the mac is awful. It's a giant hack, not native at all.

Still, I love Valve anyways. I just wish they would make a proper Cocoa-based Steam client.

24. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

They are rumoured to be working on a Linux client. Maybe a new OS X one isn't out of the question?

25. ryanlawrence171 macrumors member

"You should play following games.
    1. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
    2. Mass Effect 3
    3. Batman: Arkham City
    4. L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition
    5. Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai
    6. Trine 2
    7. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3"