What are my options ..... [Mac Pro Alternatives]

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TheHerdForever, Aug 13, 2013.

  1. TheHerdForever, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

    TheHerdForever macrumors member


    May 11, 2012
    since I will NOT buy a new Mac Pro that is shipping soon? I don't want to start a argument with anyone about my decision, but for the record, I am not sold that the new MP will be a "professional workstation" as Apple wants us to believe. To me, it's the most ridiculous product/idea that Apple has coming out to date...so I will leave it at that. All options will be considered...existing Apple parts, HackIntosh, or whatever. Thanks for all that respond with advice.
  2. phoenixsan macrumors 65816


    Oct 19, 2012
    Depending on....

    what part of the world you live and budget, go for a deal in a used, refurb or even a new 2010 Mac Pro. I have one and 3 years after still delivers......:D

  3. ActionableMango macrumors G3


    Sep 21, 2010
    1. Buy a current MP and upgrade it over the years until you can't.
    2. Go Hackintosh.
    3. Switch to Windows.
    4. Wait and see what nMP specs and pricing are like.
    5. Change jobs so you don't need a workstation (underwater basket weaving perhaps).
  4. cueboyzn macrumors newbie

    Sep 19, 2008
    Buy a top line single or dual proc 2012 Mac Pro with the fastest processor and graphics options available and upgrade it as you go.
  5. hudson1 macrumors 6502

    Jun 12, 2012
    Are you sure you want to rule out a computer before we even know the specs and configuration options?
  6. flowrider, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

    flowrider macrumors 603


    Nov 23, 2012
    My advice (much cuebouzn's), and what I actually did was buy a brand new 2010 base dual CPU Mac and upgrade from there. There are still some out there.



    They can still be had for a reasonable price and other than the CPUs are identical to the 2012 5,1 Mac Pros. IMHO, there are a beautifully designed and engineered machine that is built like a tank and relatively easy to upgrade. My machine is only 5 weeks old and I have upgraded the RAM, CPUs, Graphics Card, and put in a PCIe SSD card with a Samsung SSD.

  7. JronMasteR macrumors 6502


    May 4, 2011
    Also bought a 2010 model, refurbished from apple. The unit arrived new... Best computer I've ever used. Upgraded RAM, GPU, SSD, HDD...
    Wasn't easy to get one, since they are impossible to find in Switzerland.

    I was also waiting for the refresh, but the nMP is a no go for me.
    Glad I went with the 5.1.
  8. flowrider macrumors 603


    Nov 23, 2012
    There are many of us who believe they know enough to know they do not want the new MiniPro.

  9. Cubemmal macrumors 6502a

    Jun 13, 2013
    I'd recommend abandoning Apple all together and going Windows or Linux. Why are you on Mac anyhow? The upgradability already sucks, and as far as I'm concerned Apple is doing us a favor by removing the illusion that we can use PCI cards. Sure I know many people have done it without issues, but mine and many others experience is that there aren't a lot of PCI choices, and of that they frequently don't work very well.

    If PCI cards is a concern you should be on Win 7. Of that I can vouch for the HP workstation line, they're quite and easy to upgrade.
  10. pastrychef macrumors 601


    Sep 15, 2006
    New York City, NY

    1. Buy current Mac Pro
    2. Hackintosh
    3. Go to another platform
  11. rabidz7 macrumors 65816


    Jun 24, 2012
  12. MacMadness macrumors member

    Jun 19, 2013
    Dallas TX
    I'm in total agreement, and had my "panic " attack
    about the future direction Apple (and Adobe) are pulling
    us digital imaging "professionals" back in June.

    Chose to upgrade my 8-core 2009 MP 2.26 to 2.93 and fill her up with ram, faster video card,
    an SSD Boot drive, 2 PCI SSD cards (and a USB 3.0 card soon.)
    Keeping (3) 4TB HD's in the remaining bays for smaller jobs,
    storage and backups.

    Also recently bought a near new 2010 6-core and gave her the same upgrades as well.
    Hoping to get at least 3-5 years of service out of these
    (or until they are no longer able to run compatible software
    with my clients.)

    The new MP may turn out to be a great workstation,
    but would prefer to wait and see how reliably it performs
    as a workstation and how well it performs in the marketplace.
    (as well as cost factors and 3rd party support).

    The current MP's are a known quantity, reliable as heck,
    and perform extremely well for what I need them to do.

    So going to stick with what works (and is paid for) as long as I can.
  13. malana macrumors member

    Dec 10, 2009
    after 10 years of mac, i am switching back to win 7 atm for rendering and compositing. way faster. dual lga 2011, 16 cores and 2 gtx 570. and some room to stuff more things inside.

    i miss OS X, tho :(
  14. ATC macrumors 6502a

    Apr 25, 2008
    That's the biggie for some of us. I use Win7 all day at work and when I'm home on OSX I just find such a stark contrast in my workflow, I just much prefer OSX in every way (especially 10.9 which I've been testing for a couple of months) that the last thing I'd want to do is switch back to windows.

    For me the only choice is to either take whatever option Apple provides or go Hackintosh. Frankly, from reading the stories and headaches of people who did it before (although things may have improved since I've researched it a while ago) I'd rather switch to windows than go Hackintosh. So yeah, I'm in a pickle.
  15. Photovore macrumors regular

    Dec 28, 2011
    a) It's the biggest possible biggie for me. I write my own code, so don't have the option of waiting around until Adobe or whoever comes up with a port -- I'd have to spend months full-time rewriting for a new platform. And those hours I don't get paid for....

    b) I hope at least that it's a nice garlicky kosher dill!
  16. TheHerdForever thread starter macrumors member


    May 11, 2012
    Thanks Flow. That saved me from writing something sarcastic.

    Frank :D
  17. SeattleMoose macrumors 68000

    Jul 17, 2009
    Der Wald
    First of all, have some patience. The nMP will be out by mid October (maybe sooner) as they don't want to miss the Xmas buying season.

    Wait for the reviews/benchmarks/complaints/3rd party options/etc..

    Evaluate your position AFTER you have the actual facts/data and ONLY THEN, make a decision based on reality and not guesstimates.

    It is too big of a $$ decision to do otherwise.
  18. reel2reel macrumors 6502a


    Jul 24, 2009
    Ugh, I used to do that. Worst job ever. And my boss was such a crab.
  19. tuxon86 macrumors 65816

    May 22, 2012
    It all comes down to the software that you use and if your MP is for personnal use or for making money. If those two condition are better served by going to another plateform then the decision is easy.

    in short:

    1- Need Mac only software ~ Stay with Mac (maybe reconsider model)
    2- Software exist on Windows and it's for personnal use ~ Go hackintosh and tweak away!
    3- Software exist on windows and it's important for your work and wallet ~ Buy a Windows PC or Workstation.

    After all, it's the software that you are working with, the machine is just a tool, especially when it's all about making $$$ and not making a fashion statement.
  20. TheHerdForever thread starter macrumors member


    May 11, 2012
    Interesting!! I expected someone to say that sooner rather than later. So in preparation for this, or your statement, Apple has already stated what their nMP would be in the specs section on their website. Are you anticipating that they have something else in store for us? As far as I can tell by looking at the specs, you will not will NOT be able to upgrade (or add) the majority of it's components with the new case it's in. Please do tell!!

  21. TheHerdForever, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

    TheHerdForever thread starter macrumors member


    May 11, 2012
    Why? You and others mentioned this and didn't give reasons why that's the way to go. I can guess why you stated this, but I don't like to "assume".



    :D That was funny!!



    Seattle, I thought about doing this but I'm not convinced Apple has more surprises for us PRO users. Also, I don't want to wait. Technology moves to fast anyways, so why wait??!! :p

  22. RoastingPig macrumors 68000


    Jul 23, 2012
    Mac pro with 27' inch cinema is the most aesthetically pleasing setup ever...get that and just put a ssd and a new graphics card
  23. TheHerdForever thread starter macrumors member


    May 11, 2012

    I kinda like the idea of getting a 2010 (verses getting a 2012) Mac Pro. Also, the idea of working on a HackIntosh was appealing to me too. So after looking at the website you gave me Flow, think I am going to go with that for now since mucking with HackIntosh updates can be a pain in the ass. Two questions before I buy though ..... (1) can Thunderbolt PCIe cards be used in this machine with some wonderful results and (2) are there any third party vendors that make mobo's for this case? Hoping that someone smart makes a mobo for it with TB onboard. Not likely, but still hoping!! :rolleyes:

    Frank A.
  24. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

    Apr 24, 2006
    If the new Mac Pro doesn't meet your requirements, you should switch to hardware that does. Personally, I would never use a Hackintosh for work I expect to be paid for. My reputation is too important to risk it on hardware with spotty software/firmware upgrade coverage, no manufacturer support, and a questionable reliability history.

    But if the new Mac Pro is anything like the current iMac or Mac laptops, you will be able to upgrade the RAM and the internal storage (even if that means buying non-standard parts). I would bet you'll be able to upgrade the CPU as you can in the current Mac Pro (it won't be easy, but it isn't "easy" today either). And as Apple releases upgraded graphics cards for later revisions of the Mac Pro, I bet you'll be able to install those too.

    And that doesn't even mention external upgrade options (which may or may not work for the OP... I don't know 'cause the OP didn't tell us what that application is).

    Which is to say, it's all too early to tell. I'm looking forward to the iFixit teardown.

Share This Page