Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
1) I can see more than 1/4 of the screen when I'm typing in landscape mode and more than half of it when typing in portrait.

2) I can use the phone all day without having to charge it.

Those two are the most important ones.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I have a hard time imagining why a reviewer would set up a comparison video in such a way that one device is falsely favored over another, but I won't say it can't happen because I wouldn't know that.

Happens more often than you think especially if they erroneously thought there ought to be a difference with OIS with videos. How silly would you look as a reviewer if there should be a difference and your videos don't show it?

In either case, the apparently no difference even with considerable amount of shaking at the 1:00-1:10 mark in the youtube video (framed correctly too) disputes the BGR's review. One thing for sure, the 6/6+ features much improved Digital Video Stabilization than that found in the 5s.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I'm not big on games, but I like them occasionally for a time killer. The 6 Plus was a great screen for games, whereas I find the 6 just too small to not have eye strain on some if the games' visual elements, especially text.

The 6 is better for me overall, but that is one of the compromises I had to make by choosing to return the Plus for a 6.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Battery life is pretty much the only reason I bought the 6+ over the 6. I don't mind the larger size, so it works for me.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I think the only difference you could possibly see is potentially image stabilization. Otherwise, the hardware is identical, AFAIK. Unfortunately the vide test wasn't a great comparison for that as there didn't seem to be a lot of bouncing go on.

For all intents and purposes, in most cases, both devices will perform identically, in theory.

From my experience shooting video with my Canon SLR with both OIS and regular lenses, there was enough bouncing around to make it a valid test.

Even on an expensive lenses from a company with extensive imaging experience like Canon, OIS is only effective for small amount of shake. For hand holding video I still have to be as smooth as I can, not bouncing around because that would render OIS useless. Basically, if your hand holding technique is good, OIS will help stabilize the image further, but if you are shaking, then no amount of OIS will make a difference. Bouncing? Forget it.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
From my experience shooting video with my Canon SLR with both OIS and regular lenses, there was enough bouncing around to make it a valid test.

Even on an expensive lenses from a company with extensive imaging experience like Canon, OIS is only effective for small amount of shake. For hand holding video I still have to be as smooth as I can, not bouncing around because that would render OIS useless. Basically, if your hand holding technique is good, OIS will help stabilize the image further, but if you are shaking, then no amount of OIS will make a difference. Bouncing? Forget it.

I'll take your word for it, though I have no idea what differences I am perceiving...

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
use on the iPhone 6?

Basically, what is the added benefits of the bigger screen.

Remote login to computers
Using iphone as navigation in car / CD slot mount
Reading comics and books
Watching movies and tv

It isn't a matter of not being able to on other devices. The added screen space just makes it more comfortable with the larger screen.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I'll take your word for it, though I have no idea what differences I am perceiving...

If you are referring to the video I posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FXMmGtpSHc

I saw no difference between the 6 and 6+ video in term of image stabilization for the videos capture when both camera attached to the same rig. This is a simple and straightforward test setup.

For me that is a pretty conclusive demonstration that the 6 and 6+ are similar in term of video recording, unless there is something wrong with that 6+.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If you are referring to the video I posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FXMmGtpSHc

I saw no difference between the 6 and 6+ video in term of image stabilization for the videos capture when both camera attached to the same rig. This is a simple and straightforward test setup.

For me that is a pretty conclusive demonstration that the 6 and 6+ are similar in term of video recording, unless there is something wrong with that 6+.

I was referring to the videos my wife and I had taken sledding. There is a notable, difference in the stabilization. I did mention that there were literally no controls. Maybe circumstances if the taping were more differen than I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.