What are the best practices to preserve your battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kalloud, Mar 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kalloud macrumors regular

I'm not asking for tips such as lowering the brightness, disabling background app refresh etc to get a better screen on time, but rather for tips for the longevity of the battery in order to last a maximum number of years.
    So should I charge from 0 to 100% every time to reduce the number of cycles or is there a certain interval the charge level should be in?
    Any other tips?
    Thank you.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Cycles are cycles, so two charges of about 50% will still be the same as one for 100%. The main thing is to stay away from extremes for prolonged periods of time--don't let the device run out of power completely very often, don't keep it plugged in consistently, make sure the device doesn't get too hot (or too cold). Realistically that's mostly it as far as avoiding things that could/would make the battery worse over time. (You can certainly try to keep the battery in its most optimal range of being between 40% and 80%, but that's usually more hassle than it's worth.)

3. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

The only way to reduce the number of cycles is to not use your phone. Discharging/charging for 0 to 100 is one cycle, but only discharging to 50 twice in the same time period still equals one cycle. It all adds up to the same thing.

Theoretically, keeping your battery between 40 and 80% is supposed to be best for longevity, but I don't really think that's paractical. Honestly, if you just use your phone normally the battery should be fine for a number of years. I know people with 5+ year old iDevices still using their original battery with no problem.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Best advice really is just to use it as you normally would and not worry. Batteries will deplete naturally over time and usage. There's really very little you can do to ebb the flow.

5. cbreze macrumors 6502

cbreze

I never worry about mine. Use it normally and can always get a replacement installed when or if ever needed. Never needed to do that yet. Also, it is my thinking that the "certain" number of cycles they claim it will go is like predicting exactly when a light bulb is going to burn out. Could be more or less or a lot longer than that. Don't stress over it.

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Apple put a lot of great technology in your phone so you need not worry about it.

Just plug it in when you go to bed and it will be ready for the next day.

Nothing else, that is it!

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    And batteries are getting cheaper and cheaper.
    Its ok if I have to spend $30-40 3-4 years later if Im still using the same phone.
    I usually upgrade at least every 2 years so I dont have much to worry when it comes to battery.

8. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

Best thing to do is to top-off whenever you can.

The single most important thing, bar none.

9. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Agreed. Rather I'm in the Car or traveling, as long as my iPhone is sedentary, I charge my iPhone when I can. I rarely deplete it, if ever.

10. cynics macrumors G4

My advice is to try not to worry about it and utilize places to keep it charged when convenient.

Shutting off features can help but if it takes away from the user experience then what is the point of having an iPhone in the first place?

11. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Ditto this advice. Also the iphone built in charging circuit reduces the wattage draw from any power adapter used to intermitant trickle charge at 100%. You can leave it plugged in for a year with no ill effects. It is designed for this possibility and LI Ion batterys while keeping them between 40-60% will provide the longest life for the battery, it isn't worth the inconvenience unles you plan on keeping the phone and original battery for ten years.

Charge it when it needs it or it's conveniant. Get an ipad power adapter, as they provide enough wattage to charging circuit to increase one percent for every minute plugged in, when phone is below 80%. You get 15% for 15 minutes. Very conveniant for those quick top offs.

12. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Lots of excellent advice above.

Figure I'd add a little (heh):

Simple: Keep it out of the heat. Heat is the #1 enemy of a lithium ion battery. Don't leave it in a hot car in direct sunlight. Try not to do intensive games in direct sunlight outside.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    More Info (skip if not interested): If you are keeping your phone for just 2 years there's little you can do (minus leaving it outside in the sun all the time) to damage the battery through normal use. My wife uses her phone like most people - lets it sit on the charger all night, uses it till it gets down to 10%, then plugs it in again. I am OCD when it comes to batteries and I usually keep my battery between 80-100% MOST of the time because I sit at a desk for a job. Sometimes my phone will sit on a charger for days and never go below 100%.

My wife's iPhone 6+, after 1.5 years has 96-98% original capacity and hundreds of charge cycles. My iPhone 6+ after 1.5 years had 99% original capacity and hundreds of charge cycles. Wife had about 150+ more cycles than I did. This told me that just USING the device is the best advice.

Like HEK said - unless you're planning on keeping the phone for 10 years - optimal battery % is 40-60%. Trust me, this gets old fast even an OCD person like myself. My 6+ probably spent MOST of its life on a charger, my wife's iPhone didn't and yet there was almost no difference in battery health at the end of 1.5 years.

So now, with my 6s+? I use it when I want, plug it in when I want, and I don't fret if it goes down below 80% anymore. I love carrying Anker external batteries with me so I can charge whenever I want (tho, more often than not, I'm charging other people's phones). In a few months we'll have had these phones for 1 year and battery health is showing similar results to our 6+ phones.

We already agreed to keep our 6s+ phones for another year and wait out all this iPhone 8, 7s, Edition stuff out. Even then, a year from now, I may just plop down $85? on a battery and just use the phone for another year or two (if it needs it (it probably won't need it but I like seeing 0 cycles)).
    --- Post Merged, Mar 11, 2017 ---
    Yep, this sums it up perfectly.

13. Kalloud thread starter macrumors regular

My 8-month-old iPhone 6s is already at 82% And I don't leave it in hot areas.
    Could this be a faulty battery?

14. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Could be faulty battery or app that diagnosed the battery.

15. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

All good advice, another trick I found when I got my iMac is the really handy continuity/handoff feature. I can make receive calls on my Mac, send iMessages and also use the desktop apps for Telegram and Whatsapp. Since I have begun working from home (part-time) this is a great feature and helps save battery.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, completely faulty battery.
    Panic right now and go to Apple asap

17. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Way too o be sure is take in to an Apple store. Have then check it.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 12, 2017 ---
    Good point about the app. Not sure why people are so all fired ready to believe some app. Would be nice if an independent lab were to test these apps and report results.

18. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Good point, the only worthwhile app I found is the coconut battery app but you need to plug your phone into your Mac.

19. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

From Apple:
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#generaltips

20. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Like others said I'd be suspicious about what app you're using. I only trust coconut battery and only take a reading when my phone is at 100%. If you're really at 82% take it to Apple.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 12, 2017 ---
    Agreed.

21. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

100% this.

While charging from 0% to 100% once or 50% to 100% twice both count as one cycle, draining your battery completely is much worse for your battery health than draining it halfway twice.

It's okay to let it drain completely once every month or so, but don't make that a regular thing. Charge your phone whenever you can and your battery will last the longest that way.

22. Relentless Power, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

The OP asked a legitimate question.

@Kalloud, there is a recall program for the iPhone 6s to have your battery replaced. Have you checked with Apple to see if your iPhone 6s falls under the recall program? You can also go on Apple's website and check to see if your device falls under the recall program.

Also, perhaps the battery is faulty or The third-party application you are using to read the battery is not calibrating the battery data efficiently.

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-get-your-iphone-6s-battery-replaced

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

23. LoliS macrumors regular

Try not to let it get too hot or too cold and try not to let it drain completely. Other than that, use it as you would normally use it. Apple only charges $79 for a battery replacement.

24. Kalloud thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all but the thing is I don't have a mac to use coconut app on it so I have to check apple.

25. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I just use mine with no worries toward battery life. When I can charge and if the battery is low I plug it in. If I know I'm going to be out all day I top it off. I have never had a battery replaced in any of my iPhones. Why worry, you will likely replace your iPhone before your battery gets old anyway.