What are the chance for a Ipod touch 5th gen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by super michael, Dec 30, 2011.

1. super michael macrumors regular

I really hope that apple release a Ipod touch 5th generation, it be good having a upgraded Ipod touch.

If there is a new Ipod touch 5th gen, I hope its as good as the Ipod touch 4s.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

There is no iPod Touch 4s. No one except Apple knows if there will be an iPod Touch 5. If there is it likely won't be out until Sept 2012 timeframe.

3. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Sales of the ipod touch have steadily declined, as more and more people (like me) moved to the iphone.

So I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a smaller ipad take the place of the ipod touch.

4. Liquinn Suspended

As much as I'd hate to say it. You're probably right :(

5. Chi-mex macrumors member

I disagree. The alleged smaller ipad will not be as portable as an itouch, and it will be expensive because to effectively replace the 4th gen itouch, it i will have to have retina display.
    They cannot do away with the itouch because that is the item kids who are not allowed iphones want to get. While the sales may be declining, it is still a huge market. I think that if this smaller ipad was ever to come out, it will never be as huge a market. It will be like, "Oh, you have the other ipad".

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

I love my iPod Touch; except for phone, it does everything I need. Unfortunately sales decline as people move to iPhones and iPads.

7. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

After Apple didn't update the iPod touch this past year, i won't be surprised if Apple won't update it ever again and just leave it like the iPod classic. Still available but have't been updated for many years.

8. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Apple is in the update every other year phase for the Touch. Comparisons to the classic are bad comparisons since the Touch is based on the iPhone which gets yearly updates. I'm pretty sure you will see a Touch 5 in Sept / Oct 2012 although who knows how extensive the change will be. I doubt you will see an A5 / A6 since the Touch battery capacity is much smaller then the iPhone. I expect to see a better camera sensor, more RAM, and possibly a larger display (as rumored for the iPhone 5).

9. BlackTofu macrumors member

I hope iPod Touch 5 can get A6 core, and better RAM so that I can play much more great games.

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

There will almost certainly be a 5th gen iPod Touch. The only real question is when it will be released. No one here knows (or is allowed to share) that information.

11. iEvolution, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

iEvolution macrumors 65816

There will be a 5th gen, not everyone wants a new phone. However I think it will always be a generation behind the iphone and ipad. There is no way they are going to cut the millions of kids that cant afford or cant update to the iphone its a profit loss especially when you factor in the app store.

They def. wont shrink it either the iphone will just get bigger

I don't think the elusive 128 Gb will come ever due to icloud.

There needs to be some battery improvements to the iphone cause as it stands now the ipod touch barely lasts with my usage, add phone functions and it wouldn't make it.

12. mattg3 macrumors 6502

I gave up on a new ipod touch 5g and went with samsung galaxy player 5.0.The 5 inch screen size is amazing.Apple needs to make a 5 inch ipod touch screen and combine it with retina if it wants to move forward in this market.

13. BradOntCa macrumors member

I agree mattg3

What will make the touch much better is a bigger screen. It's just too small.

14. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

Are you kidding me? The iPod touch has become the Nintendo DSi and Sony PSP killer. Why would parents buy their kids a portable console and pay $30-40 per game when they can get a iTouch for the same price, use it to communicate, watch movies, play music and pay only $.99- $10 per game and not have to worry about losing cartridges. The iPod Touch isn't going anywhere, sales have it beating 3DS and PSP sales combined and Apple knows that.

15. Mark K macrumors newbie

I 100% agree with one reservation. The ipod touch battery capacity is no where near that of the DS, DSi and even the 3DS.

16. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Did you take the time to read my entire post?

I never said the iPod touch was going to be discontinued or would end. Based on what had happened with the non existent update, Apple might place the Touch in to the direction of the iPod classic. The iPod touch would still be available but the Apple would force the people who want the faster processor bigger screen and other positives (IPS display) to go with the iPhone.

The iPod touch is not a PSP or NDS killer, the games are clearly different. iOS games are garbage compared to Sony/Nintendo games. The cartridges were part of the value to the game, it provided a sentimental and a physical value to the games.

Please read next time.

17. philiprambo macrumors newbie

18. Liquinn Suspended

I do agree with you to be honest. I have Gameboy games from when I was a kid, with the iPod touch you're limited to the boring games which do get boring after a while I guess.

19. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

My sister has a t-mobile android phone which has a menu option for setting it as a mobile hotspot. It was rather interesting going online with my iPod Touch using her phone as an access point and making a call on my Touch using Talkatone.

----------

What need would there be for an upgrade to the Classic? My perception is that the Classic has achieved perfection in its current form.

20. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I'd expect them to make the iPod Touch one step behind the iPhone/iPad instead of being on-par. When the iPad 3/iPhone 6 get the A6 or whatever they'll call it & 1GB RAM, Apple will give the iPod Touch a camera bump, 512MB RAM, and the A5, because I have the 4th Generation iPod Touch, my mom has the iPhone 4, and the only difference besides design is that she can make calls and I can't, and I can get around that with the bajillions of apps available. They'll keep it for sure though. I mean, they still keep the classic, do people even buy them any more? I kinda want a Classic TBH :D

21. HardTalk macrumors newbie

Hi everyone..

I'd just like to add my two bits here.. I'm still one of those using a blackberry as my primary phone, due to work, email etc. Last christmas, I went paranoid over losing my iPod classic (30gb), which had all my music on it. So I went and bought an iPod Touch 4th Gen. This was my first touch product, and the only apple product I've used apart from the iPod Classic.

To those who think that the iPod does not kill the PSP/DS/Gameboy :p .. You're wrong. I'm 28 and I've been gaming for years. The iPod touch has taken handheld gaming in terms of convenience and overall appeal to the next level. I use mine for gaming and facetime, and the ONLY complain I have is its battery life, which is not good at all when you have your wi-fi switched on.

I hope to buy my wife an iPad 3 (and use it all the time) as soon as its released, but I really do hope they don't discontinue the iPod Touch. Its seriously an amazing product considering its dimensions, and its made me respect :apple:

Cheers.

22. super michael thread starter macrumors regular

I ment to say in the 1st that I hope the Ipod touch 5th generation is as good as the Iphone 4 or Iphone 4s, sorry for the mistake.

23. GeniusJon macrumors regular

I go into airplane mode when I play a long game (GTA), so battery is saved and no one bothers me while playing. :)

24. Liquinn Suspended

I may buy another iPod touch in white as they're so lovely and nice.

Or shall I wait until the 5g? :p

25. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

When Apple move iPad and iPhone to new processors.